Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people believe the western lies about Assad in Syria? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty simple why.

The world is full of gullible and ignorant people, and the west is not short of them. Therefore, it is easy for the media to tell these stories whether they are true or false. No matter what, they always believe them because in their tiny minds they think "why would the media lie to us?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oliver_94)
    May Assad and Putin drink the blood of every man, woman and child who tries to kill him and destroy his country. Long live Assad!
    Child?

I won't even bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChynezBastahd)
    It's pretty simple why.

The world is full of gullible and ignorant people, and the west is not short of them. Therefore, it is easy for the media to tell these stories whether they are true or false. No matter what, they always believe them because in their tiny minds they think "why would the media lie to us?"
    There is overwhelming evidence that the Syrian government's human rights record is absolutely terrible, even if there are doubts about some specific wartime massacres. There is video and photographic evidence of a lot of it, including the treatment of protesters, the treatment of people captured by regime forces including civilians, the indiscriminate barrel bombing of civilian areas, etc.

If you think people mindlessly and uncritically believe whatever the media tells them then you must have been living under a rock for the past few years. If anything, the websites of many of these media organisations seem to have quite a few conspiracy theorists rambling on about how "Assad did nothing wrong" and how great he is despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Have we not learnt anything from Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Palestine...and so on?

Assad is innocent. He has done nothing wrong. He is defending himself against terrorists. The so called "rebels" are terrorists like ISIS fuelled by a hatred towards Shia Muslims. It is the Sunnis that are the problem.

The west back the terrorists in an attempt to topple Assad and thwart Russia. It is childish war games.

May Assad and Putin drink the blood of every man, woman and child who tries to kill him and destroy his country. Long live Assad!
    There is no proof and before you source a western controlled media outlet think again. We already made that mistake with Iraq
    The problem with your 'analysis' is the perpetual need to view everything in the Arab world through the prism of a particular Western viewpoint whereby all events in the region and all Western policy (however amorphously defined) is shoehorned into a trite one-dimensional anti-Western narrative; with all the complexities, nuances and contradictions squeezed out.

It's close to the Marxist analysis on international relations. Karl Marx explained that the general course of history was ultimately determined by periods of class conflict over ownership of the means of production. He allowed for shorter time frames, perhaps lasting centuries; while other currents could be pivotal & decisive. He allowed the ruling class would have the awareness of how their policies might ultimately destabilize their station. He argued that the course of history was ultimately against them - even if they succeeded by subterfuge, plots & trickery to prevent their dislodgement. Thus, in a Marxist computation, Western policy might in specific instances (e.g. Libya) promote representative government as an answer to a predicament whereby (a la Condi Rice) it had put stability before freedom which germinated neither. A Marxist would merely assert that, over longer timeframes, such policies would be outweighed by others more geared to the traditional protection of the interests of the Western ruling classes.

Now, most of us would balk at Marx's claim on the determining factor in the course of human history. But you remind me of Noam Chomsky; whose reductionism is even greater than Marx on the micro-scale. In his mind, almost every turn of the page is a conscious conspiracy. This analytical claustrophobia of forcing facts to a theory can approach the hysterical paranoia of Dostoyevsky's Underground Man. (But, in the case of Chomsky, without the literary & satirical talent).

It is perfectly possibly to be highly critical of the US, and sift through the good & bad without the need to subject yourself to this sort of straightjacket thinking.

We need an analysis that puts the people of the region at the heart of the issue, so we can see them in all their complexity and diversity, with their strife and aspirations, as they are - rather than your ideological spectacles.

(P.S. In the context of the Syrian and Iraqi Civil Wars, it is not even clear ISIS are the worst offenders – I cannot think of anything ISIS have done that equates in scale and depravity to the industrialized torture – including especially of children – by the Assad regime. Of course many Westerners may seem to think that does not count as it is not happening to them… but therein is one of the (many) reasons why jihadis hate the West.)

(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    That 2014 election was a sham, with candidates hand picked by the government who were all praising Assad and telling people to vote for him. It was not a legitimate democratic election. And the protests that eventually led to war started 3 years before that.

Assad is not "democratically elected" by any sensible definition of the phrase.
    It's revealing that our friend probably thinks that the UK doesn't have any real democracy. Everything is controlled by the media, big corporations and the Military Industrial complex. It's all a sham and a falsehood with both parties engaging in nefarious subterranean plans.

But, to evince the slightest doubt on the authenticity of Assad's democratic credentials is an unthinkable indignity. He probably thinks the same about Saddam who had a 100% turnout in Oct 2002 voting "yes" in a referendum support another seven year-term.

This Manichean condition has been properly diagnosed as the Imperialism of the Anti-Imperialist. Traditional imperialists would elevate their cultures as the best; while lowering & debasing 'lesser' other cultures. Today, this antediluvian imperialist mentality denies that anybody can be as bad as 'us' (the West).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    There is overwhelming evidence that the Syrian government's human rights record is absolutely terrible, even if there are doubts about some specific wartime massacres. There is video and photographic evidence of a lot of it, including the treatment of protesters, the treatment of people captured by regime forces including civilians, the indiscriminate barrel bombing of civilian areas, etc.

If you think people mindlessly and uncritically believe whatever the media tells them then you must have been living under a rock for the past few years. If anything, the websites of many of these media organisations seem to have quite a few conspiracy theorists rambling on about how "Assad did nothing wrong" and how great he is despite all the evidence to the contrary.
    The only "evidence" comes from western sources and western sources have time and time again proved to be lies. They are not legitimate and are fabricated by the government. Assad has committed no crimes (while your western pals have, like Blair and Bush, yet you happily let them sit in the sun on the beach).

Assad is defending himself against terrorists, end of discussion. You can continue believing in western lies and all the bull**** it spreads

ReputationRep:
    Ok sunni muslims are not the problem neither are the shias. Although I am against sects. I say I am just a muslim no need to add to name imo.

And I feel unfortunately the middle east will get no better due to foreign policies etc. But there is always hope.

Tbh to the west seems like all leaders are evil in middle east and will target them one day...its scary. But why cant we say they may also have evil intentions? What makes them always right and have the right to make all decisions for other countries?

Russia probs knows this very well hence they are not agreeing with them on some matters or most.

ReputationRep:
    OP is this you?
    https://youtu.be/PQGHQ0az61E

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Assad is a good man but I don't think the US and UN have good intentions either, there's plenty of awful leaders out there they could be condemning and funding rebels against, I smell money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omen96)
    The only "evidence" comes from western sources and western sources have time and time again proved to be lies. They are not legitimate and are fabricated by the government. Assad has committed no crimes (while your western pals have, like Blair and Bush, yet you happily let them sit in the sun on the beach).

Assad is defending himself against terrorists, end of discussion. You can continue believing in western lies and all the bull**** it spreads
    The evidence comes from all sorts of activist groups and there is video evidence of many of them, which is then reported by western organisations. Human rights organisations have documented a lot of violations taking place in Syria. There is plenty of evidence, whether you like it or not and regardless of the problems with some western media (which is actually mostly fine for accuracy and has not been shown "time and time again" to be "lies", despite the sensationalised nonsense from conspiracy theorists like yourself).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I could go look for loads of barrel bombing videos, including a few leaked videos from within the helicopters. Or the videos of protesters being shot dead. Or the videos of cluster bombing. Or reports and leaked pictures and videos of summary executions torture taking place on the government side (some mobile phone footage from captured soldiers). There are credible and confirmed reports of government sieges and of massacres of civilians. There are even videos from early on in the conflict showing army machine gun positions on a hospital roof. I have a feeling that might get me into trouble on this forum though, given the graphic nature of a lot of it.

And I absolutely love how you just assume I support Blair and Bush, as though criticism of Assad must mean I fully support all aspects of western foreign policy and the removal of Assad through force which I do not. You have nothing to base that assumption on.

Assad's human rights record is terrible, and you'd have to live in some parallel universe to be able to deny that, even if there are doubts about some individual incidents. Some of these "Assad did nothing wrong" conspiracy theories honestly remind me of holocaust denial, even if the scale is completely different (I don't like to exaggerate it by bringing up the holocaust, but it's the best example I can think of to compare it to).

And yes, before someone else points this out, many of the things Assad's forces have done are carried out by rebels as well.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.