I'm soon to be 22, currently living at home and working to save up as much as possible after travelling and working abroad for a couple of years. Before that I went to uni straight after sixth form and quit after a year and a half when I realised I was studying something i absolutely did not want a career in and it was a very specific course which would have led me nowhere else. I don't regret going to uni or leaving - I met amazing people and have a good time and good experiences, but leaving was definitely the right decision.
Now I have been offered a place at a good uni to study Sociology and was planning to go this year. I would be moving in July, working full time over summer and then starting my course while working part time in September. I know the course I've chosen is what I want to do, and I know it will be useful in what I want to go into (drug and alcohol rehabilitation work) or various other careers if I do change my mind again.
But now I'm thinking.. should I defer my place? I know I want to go to uni because I know I want a degree as, although I know it's not vital for finding a good job and people with degrees still struggle to find work, I know it will help a lot in the future. But I just feel like it'd be good for me to stay at home, keep working (I really enjoy my job now but it's not something I could do for the rest of my life as I'm only getting around £15,000 a year) and save a whole lot of money so when I do start uni I can do so with money in the bank, therefore less pressure to work a lot while studying and more time to concentrate on my degree. I don't think starting at 23 instead of 22 will make a huge difference, but I just can't make a final decision..
Any advice would be awesome, thanks!
Delaying uni by (another) year??? Watch
- Thread Starter
- 29-03-2016 16:18
Offline21ReputationRep:TSR Support Team
- TSR Support Team
- 29-03-2016 20:20
I agree that starting university at 23 won't really be any different to 22, and saving money whilst you can would certainly be a good idea. If your university agrees (have you asked them?) and you want to defer then go for it.