Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done/ doing Classical Greek GCSE? If so could you tell me a bit about it? Do you recommend it? What's the link with Latin? Is it difficult? How is it compared to history or geography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophhhowa)
    Has anyone done/ doing Classical Greek GCSE? If so could you tell me a bit about it? Do you recommend it? What's the link with Latin? Is it difficult? How is it compared to history or geography?
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    im greek and was going to be entered for the gcse on edexcel yes it is very hard and you need a lot of dedication and hard work lots of grammar ie im fluent in greek and I still find it hard to read and write sometimes so yes its a lot harder than history and geography, and its not like English every symbol of the greek alphabet is a different sound

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I study both Latin and Ancient Greek. I am doing Latin for GCSE this year but I study Greek as more of a hobby at lunchtimes with my Latin teacher and I am in the middle of doing my entry level exams in them. I have been studying Latin since year 8 and Greek since year 9 but I am much more advanced in Latin than I am in Greek but I don't know what level you are at for both of them. There are some similarities between them for example some of the vocabulary is the exact same and some of the grammar like the declensions also works in the same way but there are also some big differences, the biggest one I have noticed being that Greek has articles whilst Latin doesn't. As I said before, I am not very advanced in Greek so I am not able to tell you about the GCSE but I hope I helped in some way.

ReputationRep:
    I just saw your second question, I am doing both Latin and history for GCSE this year. I think history definitely has a lot more content than Latin but even though I don't do geography I have seen my friends' folders and I know that there is a lot of information to learn for it. On the other hand, I personally find Latin to be the most easy yet enjoyable subject I do. Although, I don't do Greek GCSE, I believe the structure of it is very similar to the Latin one as in there are some language exams and some prose or verse ones.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did Latin and Greek for GCSE two years ago: Greek is probably harder than Latin, but the grammar is really quite similar, so if you're good at one then you're probably going to be good at the other. I would definitely recommend Greek, especially if you want a challenge, because it is undeniably challenging, but not unmanageable!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.