Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Has anyone done/ doing Classical Greek GCSE? If so could you tell me a bit about it? Do you recommend it? What's the link with Latin? Is it difficult? How is it compared to history or geography?
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Has anyone done/ doing Classical Greek GCSE? If so could you tell me a bit about it? Do you recommend it? What's the link with Latin? Is it difficult? How is it compared to history or geography?
Anyone?
chris2791
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im greek and was going to be entered for the gcse on edexcel yes it is very hard and you need a lot of dedication and hard work lots of grammar ie im fluent in greek and I still find it hard to read and write sometimes so yes its a lot harder than history and geography, and its not like English every symbol of the greek alphabet is a different sound
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I study both Latin and Ancient Greek. I am doing Latin for GCSE this year but I study Greek as more of a hobby at lunchtimes with my Latin teacher and I am in the middle of doing my entry level exams in them. I have been studying Latin since year 8 and Greek since year 9 but I am much more advanced in Latin than I am in Greek but I don't know what level you are at for both of them. There are some similarities between them for example some of the vocabulary is the exact same and some of the grammar like the declensions also works in the same way but there are also some big differences, the biggest one I have noticed being that Greek has articles whilst Latin doesn't. As I said before, I am not very advanced in Greek so I am not able to tell you about the GCSE but I hope I helped in some way.
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just saw your second question, I am doing both Latin and history for GCSE this year. I think history definitely has a lot more content than Latin but even though I don't do geography I have seen my friends' folders and I know that there is a lot of information to learn for it. On the other hand, I personally find Latin to be the most easy yet enjoyable subject I do. Although, I don't do Greek GCSE, I believe the structure of it is very similar to the Latin one as in there are some language exams and some prose or verse ones.
username2512541
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I did Latin and Greek for GCSE two years ago: Greek is probably harder than Latin, but the grammar is really quite similar, so if you're good at one then you're probably going to be good at the other. I would definitely recommend Greek, especially if you want a challenge, because it is undeniably challenging, but not unmanageable!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (31)
11.31%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (153)
55.84%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (42)
15.33%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (42)
15.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
2.19%

Watched Threads