should britain stay in the eu? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fly By
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by endorf)
sorry i meant greenland. they joined and left.
greenland?? isnt greenland in north america??

and...

green has barely got a population, whether they join or dont join don't really affect them..

they are part of denmark, they always have have denmark to cover their little arses.
endorf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
I'm perfectly aware of what we are able to do at the moment, and I said above that Britain should keep those policies. So your argument comes down to, let's get out now before they force us to do x y and z. Why try to pre-empt problems, you don't know in what direction the EU is going to go in the future, and it seems silly to pull out on the premise that bad things may happen at some point somewhere in the future. The EU constitution says we can pull out at any stage we want to, so why not cross that bridge when we come to it?
ok well lets look at the last 7 "big" EU policy suggestions :

1. European Leadership with a new EU president - we dont like this idea because it reduces our influence with the EU commission and dont like the idea of a figurehead controlling the EU. we have so far resisted this.

2. New EU Commission reform - only a fixed number of national appointees running it - we dont agree with this either.

3. foreign defence policy - alreay said no way, strongly resisted

4. immigration and assylum policy - we dont like the idea of it threatening the right to decide who enters the UK. we already rejected the existing schengen scheme.

5. charter of rights - undermones national power over a broad range of issues - rejected.

6. law in the EU (public prosecutor)- haha wishful thinking strongly opposed along with 8 other countries.

7. taxation integration - definately not says blaire.

so 0/7 - not so good really. we really do not agree with anything that comes out of the commission anymore. so i ask, what is the point of being in the EU anyway.
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok well lets look at the last 7 "big" EU policy suggestions :

1. European Leadership with a new EU president - we dont like this idea because it reduces our influence with the EU commission and dont like the idea of a figurehead controlling the EU. we have so far resisted this.

2. New EU Commission reform - only a fixed number of national appointees running it - we dont agree with this either.

3. foreign defence policy - alreay said no way, strongly resisted

4. immigration and assylum policy - we dont like the idea of it threatening the right to decide who enters the UK. we already rejected the existing schengen scheme.

5. charter of rights - undermones national power over a broad range of issues - rejected.

6. law in the EU (public prosecutor)- haha wishful thinking strongly opposed along with 8 other countries.

7. taxation integration - definately not says blaire.

so 0/7 - not so good really. we really do not agree with anything that comes out of the commission anymore. so i ask, what is the point of being in the EU anyway.
Ok, nearly all political issues that we don't agree with, so we don't have to have any part in. We're not fully intergrated in the EU, and things will probably stay that way, but that doesn't mean we should go pulling ourselves out. Maybe when we have alternative trade routes set up, and there's increasing pressure to comply with above policies, we should look at leaving, but I think to do it now would be rather stupid.
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok, nearly all political issues that we don't agree with, so we don't have to have any part in. We're not fully intergrated in the EU, and things will probably stay that way, but that doesn't mean we should go pulling ourselves out. Maybe when we have alternative trade routes set up, and there's increasing pressure to comply with above policies, we should look at leaving, but I think to do it now would be rather stupid.
many countries are reliant on exports from the UK, particularly in secondary and tertiary industry sectors. they wont stop trading with us due to us leaving the EU it would not make economic sense. everyone benefits from comparative advantage and they would not sacrifice this to proove a point. i still believe we should expolit further trade links with the USA and other countries to improve our economic position and exploit economies of scale.

also i believe if we leave the EU, many other borderline countries (eg. denmark) would follow suit.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
many countries are reliant on exports from the UK, particularly in secondary and tertiary industry sectors. they wont stop trading with us due to us leaving the EU it would not make economic sense. everyone benefits from comparative advantage and they would not sacrifice this to proove a point. i still believe we should expolit further trade links with the USA and other countries to improve our economic position and exploit economies of scale.

also i believe if we leave the EU, many other borderline countries (eg. denmark) would follow suit.
And the EU are going to let us have all the same economic advantages if we pull out, as we have now in the EU?
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol of course they wont stop trading with us, but we just wouldn't have access to a larger market. Higher taxes for our "exports", higher price for "imported" goods . less economic and political power. no say or influence on future EU poilcies.

you keep saying closer trade links with US, but what makes you think they want to? at the end of the day, they are gonna look after their own citizens first no matter how close we are with them.
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And the EU are going to let us have all the same economic advantages if we pull out, as we have now in the EU?
these being, oh the CAP policy.

countries will be forced to break barriers to trade anyway, the UK breaks them all the time. nobody actually listens to EU regulation and that is why the EU as a whole is so weak.
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fly By)
lol of course they wont stop trading with us, but we just wouldn't have access to a larger market. Higher taxes for our "exports", higher price for "imported" goods . less economic and political power. no say or influence on future EU poilcies.

you keep saying closer trade links with US, but what makes you think they want to? at the end of the day, they are gonna look after their own citizens first no matter how close we are with them.
1/5 of our trade is already done with the USA, that a large portion with one country, so your notion of "the usa dont want anything to do with us" doesnt really stick. and im sure with a few economic agreements we could increase this to at least half of our trade pattern.

the fact is we are strong allies with the USA both economically and politically, stronger than any bond we have or did have with any EU member states.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1/5 of our trade is already done with the USA, that a large portion with one country, so your notion of "the usa dont want anything to do with us" doesnt really stick. and im sure with a few economic agreements we could increase this to at least half of our trade pattern.

the fact is we are strong allies with the USA both economically and politically, stronger than any bond we have or did have with any EU member states.
when did i ever say "the US wont want anythign to do with us"?? i'm saying what makes you think the US will want those future agreements that you susggest if it aint gonna benefit them? it is the large porportion of one country but you are forgeting that the EUROzone is a single market which far out strips what we trade with the US.

"we are strong allies with the USA both economically and politically, stronger than any bond we have or did have with any EU member states"

^ this shows the EU has no control over our military or foriegn policies. which they wont have.
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
when did i ever say "the US wont want anythign to do with us"?? i'm saying what makes you think the US will want those future agreements that you susggest if it aint gonna benefit them? it is the large porportion of one country but you are forgeting that the EUROzone is a single market which far out strips what we trade with the US.

"we are strong allies with the USA both economically and politically, stronger than any bond we have or did have with any EU member states"

^ this shows the EU has no control over our military or foriegn policies. which they wont have.
without mentioning trade, which we have already discussed, explain why we should stay in the EU then....
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
without mentioning trade, which we have already discussed, explain why we should stay in the EU then....
:rolleyes: if you look back at the convosation I have already said why!

and how can you say without mentioning trade?? thats a huge part of why we should stay in teh EU! dunno if you're a football fan or not, but thats like saying without the good players tell me why arsenal is a good team..
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:rolleyes: if you look back at the convosation I have already said why!

and how can you say without mentioning trade?? thats a huge part of why we should stay in teh EU! dunno if you're a football fan or not, but thats like saying without the good players tell me why arsenal is a good team..
you havnt said anything. trade is not a problem as i have already said, it is unlikely we will loose any trade, and Uk based industries will benefit from the security of controlled competativeness.
vinz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you havnt said anything. trade is not a problem as i have already said, it is unlikely we will loose any trade, and Uk based industries will benefit from the security of controlled competativeness.
ahahaha ^^^^
ur dumb.
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vinz)
ahahaha ^^^^
ur dumb.
after studying economics for 2 years and gaining an A grade at a level i assure you i am not. but, since you pass comment, explain why this is dumb...
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vinz)
ahahaha ^^^^
ur dumb.
Not a particularly constructive argument... :rolleyes:
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
after studying economics for 2 years and gaining an A grade at a level i assure you i am not. but, since you pass comment, explain why this is dumb...
lol your dumb is a bit harsh, but if you look back I have already mention why and i cant be bothered to keep typing long arguments

ps: if you do well in a subject doesnt mean you're wise or right, the BNP leader is a cambridge graduate and look where it got him.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ps: if you do well in a subject doesnt mean you're wise or right, the BNP leader is a cambridge graduate and look where it got him.
Nick Griffin's a cam graduate? Blimey.

Anyway, another argument endorf is that it's going to ruin relationships between us and the EU countries, running off to America again.
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol your dumb is a bit harsh, but if you look back I have already mention why and i cant be bothered to keep typing long arguments

look, i have looked back and your only argument has been relating to trade and I was asking for OTHER advantages. and you seem to have a phobia of trade with the USA and you seem to reject the fact we are strong allies.

and as for being dumb, i am awaiting his response so i can destroy it. my argument is both valid and i have produced numerous figures and supporting evidence, which is more than YOU have done. you simply ramble on about the USA.
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nick Griffin's a cam graduate? Blimey.

Anyway, another argument endorf is that it's going to ruin relationships between us and the EU countries, running off to America again.
what relationahip ??!! there is none. we conflict directly on the majority of policy issues with EU member states. dont exactly have to go far to find an example either, a certain war.
vinz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
look, i have looked back and your only argument has been relating to trade and I was asking for OTHER advantages. and you seem to have a phobia of trade with the USA and you seem to reject the fact we are strong allies.

and as for being dumb, i am awaiting his response so i can destroy it. my argument is both valid and i have produced numerous figures and supporting evidence, which is more than YOU have done. you simply ramble on about the USA.
aww, diddums. unfortunatly i don't argue with retards on the internet, so save your facts and prequotes for someone else.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (179)
80.27%
Leave (44)
19.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed