The Student Room Group

Engineering free time

Yoyo

Was wondering how much free time you get as an engineering student. Going to be studying Chemical Engineering from September and am aware of the huge workload and busy timetables. I have heard from a couple of students that there's is 0 time for a pt job and little time for societies and going out etc etc. Not sure if this is exaggerated or not but if any current engineering students wanna share their experience I would very much appreciate it :smile:

Cheers
I'd say it's what you make of it. If your average uni student was thrown into the kind of hours you get for engineering then yes they'd probably feel there's no free time. The further you get through your course the better you learn to manage your time though, I'd say the average person on my engineering course has quite a healthy social life, does a language on top of their studies, takes part in two or three societies and does one or two other extracurricular things on top.
Original post by Daniel9998
Yoyo

Was wondering how much free time you get as an engineering student. Going to be studying Chemical Engineering from September and am aware of the huge workload and busy timetables. I have heard from a couple of students that there's is 0 time for a pt job and little time for societies and going out etc etc. Not sure if this is exaggerated or not but if any current engineering students wanna share their experience I would very much appreciate it :smile:

Cheers

Hey!

Of course, it differs from person to person, but from my experience, having zero time is an incredible exaggeration. The majority of engineering students I know are part of a club/society or do some sort of extracurricular activity. If you're organised, you can have loads of free time, just stay on top of everything! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest