Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I hope someone might be able to help me... I'm an EU national wanting to start studying in Scotland this year. But now I was wondering what would happen if the UK leaves the EU. Would I have to pay the international fee? I couldn't, but I have to decide on wether to go or not before the referendum. So I really don't know what to do. In case I accept my placement and they leave, could I still get out of it or would I have to pay at least for the first year, even if I'm not going?

I'd be so happy if someone knows anything to help!!
    Hannah
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by HMilena)
    Hi there,

I hope someone might be able to help me... I'm an EU national wanting to start studying in Scotland this year. But now I was wondering what would happen if the UK leaves the EU. Would I have to pay the international fee? I couldn't, but I have to decide on wether to go or not before the referendum. So I really don't know what to do. In case I accept my placement and they leave, could I still get out of it or would I have to pay at least for the first year, even if I'm not going?

I'd be so happy if someone knows anything to help!!
    Hannah
    You can withdraw from an offer at any time (you just can't have multiple ucas application within the same year).

If the UK votes to leave the EU then that starts a 2 year negotiation period - after which there is a strong chance that the university funding agreement would be unchanged (similar to the EU agreement with the EEC and switzerland).

You should contact your university and let them know you're worried - if they have solid numbers of students affected and concerned then that gives them evidence to lobby/campaign to stay in the EU.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nothing will happen for at least 2 years. If you're already studying in the UK when the UK leaves the EU (which is very unlikely to happen), then you will almost certainly be allowed to stay and keep paying EU fees.

Oh damn PQ got there first.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's really good to know!!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.