The Student Room Group

Choosing medical schools/colleges

Hi there, please is there an easy way to find out requirements for UK university medical schools without having to go through all 33 medical schools. How do I make the right choices?
Original post by Effih
Hi there, please is there an easy way to find out requirements for UK university medical schools without having to go through all 33 medical schools. How do I make the right choices?

These are good starting points:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

But they may be out of date in places.

Ultimately though you will need to put in some time and do a fair bit of Googling and reading, since it's an important decision which will require a good deal of thought. That said, you might already have some ideas which will help you narrow your choices e.g. if you dislike the idea of PBL you could rule out those medical schools, or if you want to stay reasonably close to home then you could put less time into researching far away medical schools.

My personal philosophy is to apply strategically to whichever medical schools you stand the best chance of getting into, even if they're not your dream unis (so long as you don't absolutely hate them though). So yeah, that will involve looking carefully at your application and future exam results/UKCAT score etc and figuring out where you stand the best chance of getting into.
Reply 2
thank you . I will check these websites.

Original post by Democracy
These are good starting points:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

But they may be out of date in places.

Ultimately though you will need to put in some time and do a fair bit of Googling and reading, since it's an important decision which will require a good deal of thought. That said, you might already have some ideas which will help you narrow your choices e.g. if you dislike the idea of PBL you could rule out those medical schools, or if you want to stay reasonably close to home then you could put less time into researching far away medical schools.

My personal philosophy is to apply strategically to whichever medical schools you stand the best chance of getting into, even if they're not your dream unis (so long as you don't absolutely hate them though). So yeah, that will involve looking carefully at your application and future exam results/UKCAT score etc and figuring out where you stand the best chance of getting into.
Reply 3
I started by making a spreadsheet with the entry requirements, PBL/Lectures, likelihood of getting in, how they use UKCAT ect. I got a C in my 4th AS which really limited my choices as most places want at least a B. I deleted all the rows in which unis wanted a B or higher and then filled in the details of likelihood of getting in deleteing the least likely eg Durham is notorious for having a high UKCAT requirement and then looked at the details such as PBL as a last resort to narrow down which ones to apply for. Although, tbh i did not have many choices left and applied to the ones I thought I had the best chance. There are certain places such as St George's where I would have been guaranteed an interview but i really disliked the area so I decided I'd rather take a gap year than spend 6 years in an area which I didn't like. You need to realistically look at which place would want you; not which place you want. Using this play to your strengths in where to apply. I also deleted all the BMAT unis before I even started because I knew that after the UKCAT I did not want to go through a similar experience again when you also have to focus on your studies and writing your PS
Reply 4
Thank you so much.That is really helpful.
Original post by Jehaan
I started by making a spreadsheet with the entry requirements, PBL/Lectures, likelihood of getting in, how they use UKCAT ect. I got a C in my 4th AS which really limited my choices as most places want at least a B. I deleted all the rows in which unis wanted a B or higher and then filled in the details of likelihood of getting in deleteing the least likely eg Durham is notorious for having a high UKCAT requirement and then looked at the details such as PBL as a last resort to narrow down which ones to apply for. Although, tbh i did not have many choices left and applied to the ones I thought I had the best chance. There are certain places such as St George's where I would have been guaranteed an interview but i really disliked the area so I decided I'd rather take a gap year than spend 6 years in an area which I didn't like. You need to realistically look at which place would want you; not which place you want. Using this play to your strengths in where to apply. I also deleted all the BMAT unis before I even started because I knew that after the UKCAT I did not want to go through a similar experience again when you also have to focus on your studies and writing your PS
Original post by Effih

Hi there,

We've got a free Medical School Comparison tool. It was updated at the beginning of the 2015/2016 cycle.

It's really simple to use, you simply select which universities you're interested in, and the displayed results show the entry criteria for each!

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks so much. The tool is awesome and so helpful for decision making!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending