Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel like I'm not pushing my potential. Should I drop out and apply to another uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is all going to sound really pretentious but I'm not in the best place mentally right now at all.

I'm currently at the University of Manchester studying Maths and Physics (I'm in my first year).

I'm really regretting the choice as I feel I could have gone to a top 10 uni. I'm not liking being one of the top students here. I'd rather be another small fish in a big pond and really be inspired and grow by those around me.

I'm not really enjoying physics that much and feel like I'd be more happy doing straight maths.

I doubt I'll be good enough for Oxbridge, but Warwick looks like a really good option.

I want to know, is it worth losing 2 years (I missed the UCAS deadline this year) and starting a new degree on the year where I'd be on my third year at Manchester?

I know league tables don't count for much (It's essentially analogous to the whole IQ thing) but Warwick is constantly rated as one of the best places to go for a strong maths degree and therefore getting a top tier finance job. Manchester's maths course isn't even in the top 25. I feel like I could definitely get a first from Manchester and I feel that if I worked really hard I could get a first from Warwick too. I'd have less/no free time but I don't really do anything productive with my time so I feel like maybe it's worth going to Warwick and spending all that time working.

It seems like your undergraduate degree affects your career prospects a lot. I'm really insecure in my intelligence and I feel like I'll constantly be regretting my university choice unless I go to a "top tier" university like Warwick.

What should I do? I've felt like this since the start of the year but thought it would simply dissipate but it's only getting worse. It's starting to affect every aspect of my life

I really need some guidance here. I feel so stupid about being so naiive about my uni choices and I'm really paying for it now

I can give more information if anyone needs it

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    UCAS is still open for 2016 applications until June 30th. You just need to email some of the unis and ask them if they accept transfer students. The unis that I emailed told me they're accepting applications until the end of May, so I'm sending mine off some time this week.
    It depends on the individual university though - I haven't exactly been applying to top tier universities, so I can't tell you much about unis like Warwick and what their official deadline is. It would be good to contact a few unis just to keep your options open and see what their final deadlines are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    UCAS is still open for 2016 applications until June 30th. You just need to email some of the unis and ask them if they accept transfer students. The unis that I emailed told me they're accepting applications until the end of May, so I'm sending mine off some time this week.
    It depends on the individual university though - I haven't exactly been applying to top tier universities, so I can't tell you much about unis like Warwick and what their official deadline is. It would be good to contact a few unis just to keep your options open and see what their final deadlines are.
    Since I'd be losing a year of study I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to switch unless it was somewhere like Warwick. I phoned Warwick and they said they don't consider applicants once past the UCAS deadline

But the best of luck with your application, hope you get into where you wanted

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is the case in the UK, but in America your undergraduate grades and degree only count for your first job. After that it's all where you go from there. So if you're worried about a top finance job, I'm sure you've still got a shot at it. This side of the pond, work experience - even before your first job - counts for more than where you get your degree from (unless of course it's the Ivies).

However, if you wish to experience academics at a top institution, I can understand completely. I made some mistakes like you, and I wish I would have had the chance to experience some top notch academics. If you don't mind being 2 years late to the game, try to apply to Warwick and wherever else you feel you might want to go. You're mostly still still quite young, so anything is possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.