Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just did a past paper for chemistry and I only got 34/60. I read the mark scheme about 5 days ago and then I haven't read the paper since and just did it. Someone please help? I need to improve my score. And I'm rubbish at 5 and 6 mark questions too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meghemmings)
    I just did a past paper for chemistry and I only got 34/60. I read the mark scheme about 5 days ago and then I haven't read the paper since and just did it. Someone please help? I need to improve my score. And I'm rubbish at 5 and 6 mark questions too.
    remember mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    remember mark scheme?
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    basically learn answers, there'll be question that should pop up on every single chem paper so remember answers for those and chem's all about something happens, explain why this happens and equations and that covers 90% of chem knowledge needed

ReputationRep:
    basically learn answers, there'll be question that should pop up on every single chem paper so remember answers for those and chem's all about something happens, explain why this happens and equations and that covers 90% of chem knowledge needed
    Oh okay thankyou, any tips for 5-6 mark questions too?

ReputationRep:
    remember mark scheme?
    Not really a good idea imo

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay thankyou, any tips for 5-6 mark questions too?
    depends what they are? is this GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    i got 3 marks in my physics exam bc of this.... not a good idea but it'll give you an idea of what they want in an answer.

ReputationRep:
    At least put a question mark in the title. I only clicked on this thread because I thought it would be someone giving tips.

ReputationRep:
    i got 3 marks in my physics exam bc of this.... not a good idea but it'll give you an idea of what they want in an answer.
    Obviously there will be some situations where you can get away with memorising mark schemes, but for exams as a whole it most certainly is not a revision method

ReputationRep:
    Obviously there will be some situations where you can get away with memorising mark schemes, but for exams as a whole it most certainly is not a revision method
    definitely not a revision method no....

ReputationRep:
    know the processes - they usually take up all the 6 markers
    by processes I mean things such as fractional distillation, polymerisation, carrying out titrations, the haber process etc
    if you don't know these, they're quite difficult to bs in the exam

ReputationRep:
    depends what they are? is this GCSE?
    Yes this is gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    by processes I mean things such as fractional distillation, polymerisation, carrying out titrations, the haber process etc
    Thankyou I'll try this!!:-)

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is gcse
    (Original post by surina16)
    ^^ pretty much this, but sometimes you'll have done these experiments and it's much easier to speak from experience than just theory, but for things like polymerisation and fractional distillation see what the mark scheme says and learn the theory as best you can

ReputationRep:
    It's necessary to get the really finicky points in A Level questions however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    It's necessary to get the really finicky points in A Level questions however.
    To a certain extent yeah, with proper understanding you should be able to get the majority of the marks for each question but sometimes can be the difference between getting say 2/3 and 3.

ReputationRep:
    you give up and cry

(I'm doing a chemistry paper as we speak lmao :cry2: )

ReputationRep:
    To a certain extent yeah, with proper understanding you should be able to get the majority of the marks for each question but sometimes can be the difference between getting say 2/3 and 3.
    I'm well aware of that. Not learning the markschemes is just asking to lose easy marks however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I'm well aware of that. Not learning the markschemes is just asking to lose easy marks however.
    My point was more that if you are getting 34/60 on a paper, you should be focusing on the massive holes in your understanding and you can worry about a couple of marks here and there later on, but yeah it's a good idea to do papers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.