Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am asking whether I have chosen the wrong degree? I study Aerospace Engineering but have a diverse range of interests. I wish I took computer science because I am great at coding and naturally feel comfortable learning it. I believe in choosing a path which adds the most value to society.

I used to enjoy my engineering before my degree but in the second year and approaching exams, I have lost the desire I once had to have to really be ambitious and aim high. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    If your degree involves a lot of systems work you could do a masters in that? It's quite a broad field and involves a good bit of coding

ReputationRep:
    It's more mechanical systems covering rocket science, turbo machinery etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyUK0)
    Hello,

I am asking whether I have chosen the wrong degree? I study Aerospace Engineering but have a diverse range of interests. I wish I took computer science because I am great at coding and naturally feel comfortable learning it. I believe in choosing a path which adds the most value to society.

I used to enjoy my engineering before my degree but in the second year and approaching exams, I have lost the desire I once had to have to really be ambitious and aim high. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
    As said above you should obviously take as many optional modules related to programming in third years and above (control modules, systems, etc). I'd say in the mean time take up some hobby? maybe work on your own projects in your spare time, maybe try making/buying a quadcopter and maybe trying to write software to control it? Not sure if its too late but you can also join a society which work on projects which involve programming and you could be part of that. That will hopefully keep you motivated and increase your skills as well.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a good idea! I like the sound of that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hi,

Aerospace engineering adds value to society. From aviation to space research, the benefits of aerospace engineering can be seen around us.

Try not to stress about it, so you don't become depressed. If you are doing a B.Eng, then you should play it out for another year and complete the degree. You are almost getting to the summer, which means you have just 6 months left for your course. After that, you can focus on your main interests. If you are on an M.Eng., it may be best to change to a B.Eng. and complete your programme. The longer you wait, the more difficult it may be.

I do not advise you to drop out because it is good to finish what you started. Try to reflect and find the activities that made engineering enjoyable to you. Maybe, it will bring back the love you had for it. Whilst you are at uni, it may be useful to pursue some extracurricular coding classes or computer society activities. Many universities have organisations like Computer Club. These may help you to diversify your attention and make the remaining time of uni experience to be fun.

If at a certain point, you feel that you cannot push on, please speak to a member of your uni's counselling team and your academic adviser(s). Also be open about your concerns and worries, so it does not affect your mental health.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that my needs are for a project. I will build a small AI automated aircraft. Since I have extensive skills from my aerospace course , I can combine it with my deep understanding of computing. I have everything I need from a 3D printer to a wind tunnel. I'll come back when its complete and attach pictures. Perhaps I could give project updates.

Thank-you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.