Turn on thread page Beta

I think I have done a bad thing and I'm feeling so worrie and upset. I'll explain the background my parents will not let me have a boyfriend I've been seeing a councillor and she has said my situation at home could constitute abuse. My parents were very violent when I once had a boyfriend at 18 and basically my life was unbearable to the point I felt like there was no point in life and I took an over dose. Fast forward 6 years and I have the most wonderful boyfriend that my parents don't know about. My boyfriend 18 months ago asked me to go away to Spain with him. at first I said no but then the worse it was at home the more I wanted to go. I worked and then was doing a masters I went away with my boyfriend telling my parents it was a uni trip. I had the most amazing week of my life but now I feel I awful even though it was 18 months ago. I can't tell my parents as the consquences will be horrendous they won't need to find out as my boyfriend and his family know what it's like at home. But am I a bad and horrible person ? I feel awful that I went away but honestly I've never been as happy as I was that week.

ReputationRep:
    No you're not a bad person, you can do whatever you want, seeing as you're an adult. If they're that bad then why do you live under their roof? Also if they're abusing you it's best to go to the police so they have a record of it for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think I have done a bad thing and I'm feeling so worried and upset. I'll explain the background my parents will not let me have a boyfriend I've been seeing a councillor and she has said my situation at home could constitute abuse. My parents were very violent when I once had a boyfriend at 18 and basically my life was unbearable to the point I felt like there was no point in life and I took an over dose. Fast forward 6 years and I have the most wonderful boyfriend that my parents don't know about. My boyfriend 18 months ago asked me to go away to Spain with him. at first I said no but then the worse it was at home the more I wanted to go. I worked and then was doing a masters I went away with my boyfriend telling my parents it was a uni trip. I had the most amazing week of my life but now I feel I awful even though it was 18 months ago. I can't tell my parents as the consequences will be horrendous they won't need to find out as my boyfriend and his family know what it's like at home. But am I a bad and horrible person ? I feel awful that I went away but honestly I've never been as happy as I was that week.
    woah what happened there? overdose of bf or what?
    why feel awful? you've just been cooped up at home not being allowed the freedom to go out with who you want so yes treat yourself, there's nothing wrong with going on a trip elsewhere.
    what happens? do they shout at you or something? or maybe it's abuse? :/
    MOST CERTAINLY NOT YOUNG LADY you're not a bad and horrible person at all from the sounds of it the ones who seem at fault here are your parents.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    100% NO. Never tell them. The fact you have to post here in the way you did suggests they are overbearing at the very least and unhealthy for you. No idea if its culture., but you shouldnt feel that way. Lobing parents would be supportive and want you to be happy. Can you move away from home so you cna live the life you chose not the one they control?

ReputationRep:
    You're not a terrible person and if the situation is abusive then I would continue to keep quiet until you have at least moved out, at which point you can decide if it's worth the risk (given you can walk away if things get nasty). I would make moving out a priority, you deserve to be able to live your life in whatever way you choose, although obviously if you're still a student it might not be immediately practical to move out and live alone.

Thanks guys for your responses I just felt so guilty and horrible. I'm still living at home for two reasons. My mum is very very needy she can lock me in my room throw things at me and the next day she's saying she loves me and can't cope with me and I just feel like I have to stay with her. I'm trying to save enough as in my job I was only on £300 a month as I am still studying. I'm saving like crazy. It honestly was such a a amazing week I've never had freedom like that or been that happy but now I feel like I've done something wrong. My councillor said she thinks I have a bit of Stockholm syndrome I can't really explain it my parents are horrendous but I still never want to upset them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.