Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    At the moment i am super stuck. I have been offered places to study adult nursing at university and I have secured my first and insurance choice...but I don't feel like I'm ready yet. I'm still going ahead with the applications and I've applied for accommodation and finance just in case I change my mind but at the moment I am very confused as to whether it is the right thing to do. one of the reasons I'm anxious about it is because I've basically been offered nothing in the form of financial support - so little that my loan barely covers a fraction of my rent. But also because what if I don't like it and its not for me?

I wondered if anybody else has been in a similar situation and would be able to give me any advice?
    I've also been looking into NHS apprenticeships and so i wondered if anybody has done those, if they are a good idea?
    BASICALLY I'm just so stressed about it and really need to talk to people who understand and can relate to this haha
    thanks
    PS sorry for rambling on
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I completely know how you feel. Im 1 week into my nurse training. It's something I've wanted to do for such a very long time and nothing was going to stop me. Yes it stresses me out the fact that I have to raise 2 kids on money that is literally a 3rd of my old wage and I didn't even sit and think about what id do....it didn't even cross my mind to not do it. Because there's nothing else I want to do....so when would be the right time?! There never will be. Bite the bullet. I am going to bank along side to top up my income. It is going to be very stressful and I am going to be skint for 3 years but by god Itl be worth it and all this will be a distant memory

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helena_jane27)
    Hi!
    At the moment i am super stuck. I have been offered places to study adult nursing at university and I have secured my first and insurance choice...but I don't feel like I'm ready yet. I'm still going ahead with the applications and I've applied for accommodation and finance just in case I change my mind but at the moment I am very confused as to whether it is the right thing to do. one of the reasons I'm anxious about it is because I've basically been offered nothing in the form of financial support - so little that my loan barely covers a fraction of my rent. But also because what if I don't like it and its not for me?

I wondered if anybody else has been in a similar situation and would be able to give me any advice?
    I've also been looking into NHS apprenticeships and so i wondered if anybody has done those, if they are a good idea?
    BASICALLY I'm just so stressed about it and really need to talk to people who understand and can relate to this haha
    thanks
    PS sorry for rambling on
    xx
    How don't you feel ready? Universities have offered you places on their courses, so from what they know about you think you are ready and have the ability to study and pass a nursing course. If it's placement that's bothering you, well, we don't expect first year, first placement students to be expert practitioners. You're on placement to learn. Did you get experience prior to applying? Most unis expect this now, in part so that potential students have some insight into what they are getting into. Not everyone likes it, people drop out, this is something that happens in all industries.

Your university may offer additional financial support, they'll let you know about how to apply for things like this when you start. It's also possible to work part time around your course, some universities frown on this, but accept that students need to work to support themselves. Bank HCA work is popular, but some bar or waitressing jobs can be quite flexible too.

I don't know much about the apprenticeship scheme, but it wouldn't lead to a job as a registered nurse, you have to study at uni to become a nurse. As I said before, you've been offered a place because the admissions tutors who interviewed you believe you have the ability to pass the course and become a nurse.

In the end, change is scary, I remember going from an ok job into my training, it was scary, but in the long term was well worth it. Some times, you've just got to go for it and hope it turns out ok.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to University of West London for Mental Health Nursing assessment and interview

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.