Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim Girl on the train watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datmofo)
    no, but I suppose the Quran justifies attacking 'non-believers'.
    Did I answer your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    You mean coming from people who make a giant chat thread and become wonderfuly popular by asking real questions when they have some ?
    Yes it's me .
    hows getting rejected twice?

hahahaha

UNLUCKY

hows getting rejected twice?

hahahaha

UNLUCKY
    You mean when I did 2 other threads about 2 other different things ? Ohhhh I know what you mean.. You're so jealous you stalked me ! I love you too <3

How about getting banned x times ?

"hahahaha

UNLUCKY"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    Did I answer your question?
    yes, but still don't get the 3rd quote.

why are men 'above' women.

ReputationRep:
    Someone Clearly didn't analyse their poems in GCSE!!!! Quran is harder to understand than poems, inferring is key as it forces you to think!!! datmofo

ReputationRep:

I believe you are mistaken with your third quote! It's not in the quranic text... But I will google it now, just to make sure!
    Yes, it is indeed, as I thought not in the text

ReputationRep:

I found it!

They aren't above women. Actually it means to say, they have responsibility over women, they should take care of their wives.This is simply because in general, men are physically and emotionally stronger (sorry for touching upon stereotypes).

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Atheist, so I don't care. But the bible is less sexist than the Quran.
    Well if your an atheist and you don't care about the bible....why care about the Quran too?:/....

ReputationRep:

They are above women in responsibility.
    Hence they get more inheritance as they are obliged to provide for their wives and family.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any threads being made about sexism in the bible.

ReputationRep:
    you have just taken phrases out of the qur'an, to truly understand the reasoning behind them you have to look at their context and a deeper insight.

in regards to the first verse, yes in islam males do get twice the amount females get from their parents from their will after they pass away. but there is a reason to it. in wedlock, the husband has to provide for his wife from his earnings, however, if the wife also works, she has no obligation to provide for her husband with her earnings, in other words, the husbands earnings belong to both the wife and the husband whereas the wife's earnings belong solely to her. and if the female is not married, then it is the duty of her brother or the closest male in her family i.e uncle etc, to provide for her with their earnings but the same does not apply to her. so because the males have and obligation to provide for their female counterparts with their own wealth but the females do not, the males inherit more, because that extra inheritance goes into providing for the wife or/and sister.

for the second verse, as the sister mentioned above, women can be more sentimental and this is not just an opinion, any psychologist will tell you that women are more likely to conform and succumb to external pressure according to psychological studies. as a psychology student i can confirm this but don't just take my word for it, i advise you to do your own research

and finally, regarding the last verse you have only quoted the final part of the verse, the entire verse states :
    "Divorced women remain in waiting for three periods, and it is not lawful for them to conceal what Allah has created in their wombs if they believe in Allah and the Last Day. And their husbands have more right to take them back in this [period] if they want reconciliation. And due to the wives is similar to what is expected of them, according to what is reasonable. But the men have a degree over them [in responsibility and authority]. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise."
    this verse basically states that women who have been divorced must wait three menstrual cycles before re-marrying and that their husband can get back with them within that period if the women is willing. and the part "and due to the wives is similar to what is expected of them" means that the wife has rights similar to the rights against her. and the final part as you have quoted, does not refer to men being superior to women, but having a higher degree of responsibility over their wives i.e protection and providing for them and their expenses.

islam states that men and women are equal, but equal does not mean identical or same, men and women are equal but different, ask any biologist or psychologist and they'll tell you the same, men and women have psychological, emotional, behavioural, physiological and biological differences. they have different strengths and different weaknesses which is why islam gives them different responsibilities based on their strengths and weaknesses, and because of their different responsibilities, they have different rights. males and females have different individual responsibilities but overall equal status in islam, but unfortunately parts of the quran and islam are taken out of context and villified without proper in-depth understanding which drives some people away.

i hope this clears up any misconception about these qur'anic verses and i urge everyone to do their own in-depth research about islam to truly understand it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kash1230)
    the quote regarding inheritance is usually because when a woman gets married the dowry etc they are given kinda accounts for not inheriting much as their brothers. usually a woman's husband would provide them with everything they need in order to care for them
    What if a woman doesn't want to get married?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    What if a woman doesn't want to get married?
    then her brother has to provide for her, or if she doesn't have one, then her closest male relative i.e uncle etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubaid97)
    then her brother has to provide for her, or if she doesn't have one, then her closest male relative i.e uncle etc
    Wouldn't it be simpler if she just got the same inheritance as everyone else, and provided for herself? Constantly relying on her closest male family member must seriously hamper what she can do with her life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Wouldn't it be simpler if she just got the same inheritance as everyone else, and provided for herself? Constantly relying on her closest male family member must seriously hamper what she can do with her life.
    i understand your point, but what you need to understand is, women have only recently started getting similar wages and job opportunities as men, 1400 years after the qur'an was revealed. so if women and men were given the same inheritence and left to look after themselves, women would have much less opportunity to find work with good pay, so once their inheritance runs out, so does their finances. what islam did, was ensure that women were financially secure despite the lack of opportunity for them. as well as this, men have a natural physical advantage over women and even to this day have more opportunity to earn, provide and protect than women. islam does not restrict a women to work and provide for herself, it merely ensures that no matter what the circumstances, she is financially secure, you could think of it as a back up plan, the fact that her husband or male relatives have an obligation to provide for her. and because the males have to provide for themsleves also, they inherit more, but at the end, it is fair and beneficial for both parties, male and female

ReputationRep:
    Firstly i understand your shock but really its how you interpret and i think before you make a judgement you should study and find out more about the quran and what it contains
    "And for women are rights over men similar to those of men over women." [Noble Quran 2:228]

The Quran, in addressing the believers, often uses the expression, 'believing men and women' to emphasize the equality of men and women in regard to their respective duties, rights, virtues and merits. It says:

"For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast, for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise, for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward." [Noble Quran 33:35]

This clearly contradicts the assertion of the Christian Fathers that women do not possess souls and that they will exist as sexless beings in the next life. The Quran says that women have souls in exactly the same way as men and will enter Paradise if they do good.

"Who so does that which is right, and believes, whether male or female, him or her will We quicken to happy life." [Noble Quran 16:97]

The Quran warns and admonishes those men who oppress or ill-treat women:

"O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should you treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the dowry you have given them - except when they have become guilty of open lewdness. On the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If you take a dislike to them, it may be that you dislike something and Allah will bring about through it a great deal of good." [Noble Quran 4:19]

The Prophet of Islam (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Women are the twin halves of men." The Quran emphasizes the essential unity of men and women in a most beautiful simile:

"They (your wives) are your garment and you are a garment for them." [Noble Quran 2:187]
    again showing equality as it is viceversa
    This is just some of the many beautiful things said in the Holy Quran hope it changes your perspective.

ReputationRep:
    This thread reeks of troll/bs. They just don't try nowadays. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i understand your point, but what you need to understand is, women have only recently started getting similar wages and job opportunities as men, 1400 years after the qur'an was revealed. so if women and men were given the same inheritence and left to look after themselves, women would have much less opportunity to find work with good pay, so once their inheritance runs out, so does their finances.
    Here you seem to have conflated the past and the present. If women nowadays have access to similar wages and job opportunities as men - as you have just said, and as I myself believe - then a system in which they are permanently financially dependent on their closest male kin has become unnecessary, hasn't it?

what islam did, was ensure that women were financially secure despite the lack of opportunity for them. as well as this, men have a natural physical advantage over women and even to this day have more opportunity to earn, provide and protect than women. islam does not restrict a women to work and provide for herself, it merely ensures that no matter what the circumstances, she is financially secure,
    Mandating a smaller inheritance for women clearly restricts their ability to provide for themselves and damages their financial security.

you could think of it as a back up plan, the fact that her husband or male relatives have an obligation to provide for her. and because the males have to provide for themsleves also, they inherit more, but at the end, it is fair and beneficial for both parties, male and female
    How can you posit that men have a greater ability to make money and provide for themselves and their families, and then reach the conclusion that they should inherit more money to somehow compensate?

You're trying to paint a picture of a society that exhorts men to support their female family members, and that's all well and good, but what I see is a system that limits the opportunities available to women and ensures that they will always need that support.

In a perfect world, where people always care for those who need their care, this system might even work - except, of course, that the women involved will always live less happy and fulfilled lives because they are less able to choose what path their lives take. What worries me, though, is that people are not perfect. What happens when a man shirks his supposed duty to the women in his family? Those women will not be able to work because society expects them not to, they are not provided for, and they have no inheritance to fall back on in the meantime - they are in serious financial trouble!

ReputationRep:
    i understand your point, but what you need to understand is, women have only recently started getting similar wages and job opportunities as men, 1400 years after the qur'an was revealed. so if women and men were given the same inheritence and left to look after themselves, women would have much less opportunity to find work with good pay, so once their inheritance runs out, so does their finances. what islam did, was ensure that women were financially secure despite the lack of opportunity for them.
    so what you are saying is.... islam as a means to make law, is relevant only to a society of the 8th century, not the 21st. wow, thats some shocking revelations

ReputationRep:
    This is such bull****. I have read the Quran and I can tell you that it does treat women and men as equals. Even practicing Muslims treat women as equals. It's an old and failed argument to attack Islam, it never has worked and never will

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.