The Student Room Group

Does anyone else get a weird feeling when they rub their nipples?

Okay, this is quite possibly the weirdest post I'll ever make on TSR, so anon or delete! But it happened today, and so I googled it as you do, and apparently other people feel the same! So I thought I'd take to asking TSR...

Ever since I've been young, say if I have an inch there, or an ache, and I rub my nipple (not in a sexual way, just say, how you would rub a sore spot, or an ache) for a second, I sometimes get this very strange emotional sensation. I can't describe it, it's only fleeting, but it's sort of a feeling of sadness/ homesickness/ emptiness. And I've always thought it was just me, one of those weird quirks we all have but are too embarrassed to share. But after just experiencing this, just this minute, I googled it, not expecting anything to come up. But apparently it's quite common!

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/2met50/why_do_i_get_all_depressed_when_i_rub_my_nipples/

What on earth is this!? Why would touching my nipple lead to this emotion? Like I say, it's not all the time, but it does happen. Anyone else experience this? :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Itch not inch*...
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, this is quite possibly the weirdest post I'll ever make on TSR, so anon or delete! But it happened today, and so I googled it as you do, and apparently other people feel the same! So I thought I'd take to asking TSR...

Ever since I've been young, say if I have an inch there, or an ache, and I rub my nipple (not in a sexual way, just say, how you would rub a sore spot, or an ache) for a second, I sometimes get this very strange emotional sensation. I can't describe it, it's only fleeting, but it's sort of a feeling of sadness/ homesickness/ emptiness. And I've always thought it was just me, one of those weird quirks we all have but are too embarrassed to share. But after just experiencing this, just this minute, I googled it, not expecting anything to come up. But apparently it's quite common!

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/2met50/why_do_i_get_all_depressed_when_i_rub_my_nipples/

What on earth is this!? Why would touching my nipple lead to this emotion? Like I say, it's not all the time, but it does happen. Anyone else experience this? :colondollar:

wtf i've never had all those emotions from just rubbing my man nips but no i;ve never experienced this

inb4 someone says pleasure
Reply 3
Original post by thefatone
wtf i've never had all those emotions from just rubbing my man nips but no i;ve never experienced this

inb4 someone says pleasure

That's a shame haha, although you aren't missing out trust me!

I just googled now, and someone else described this in the exact same way as I did....

http://isitnormal.com/story/strange-sensation-from-nipple-stimulation-3496/

She said "I get a strange feeling that I can only describe as homesick". That is so strange, because that is exactly how I feel. I just find this so weird! Why it makes you feel homesick I have absolutely no idea, but that's precisely how it feels...
This sounds so funny but I think I may have too
Reply 5
I wonder if it relates to oxytocin, which is often released when you feel love for your baby or partner...but surely if oxytocin were to induce a mood it would be a more positive one...
Reply 6
Original post by Serine Soul
This sounds so funny but I think I may have too

I've never told another soul until now because it does sound so weird :colondollar:
I actually just asked my sister and she was clueless.
A girl was telling me about something similar and she felt lonely/longing for someone to do it for them. :dontknow:
I've never told another soul until now because it does sound so weird :colondollar:
I actually just asked my sister and she was clueless.

Well you just told a serine soul :sexface:

You feel like you're all alone in life and there is absolutely no reason for you to be happy :colondollar:
I wonder if it relates to oxytocin, which is often released when you feel love for your baby or partner...but surely if oxytocin were to induce a mood it would be a more positive one...

Maybe it releases dopamine? I wouldn't think such a light touch would be sufficient to release huge amounts neurotransmitter and change our moods completely?
I feel the complete opposite actually.
Well you just told a serine soul :sexface:

You feel like you're all alone in life and there is absolutely no reason for you to be happy :colondollar:

Yes! :rofl: But it's not long lasting at all, it passes after a minute tops. It's such a specific emotion/ feeling. When I was younger I used to think it was because I was growing up and felt a sense of loss for my young, innocent self :moon: But that idea has long passed and I still get the same feeling, so who knows.

Maybe it releases dopamine? I wouldn't think such a light touch would be sufficient to release huge amounts neurotransmitter and change our moods completely?

It could well be! It does seem strange that a slight touch can induce such a strong feeling via a neurotransmitter, but I'm currently coming to the end of my psychology degree and one thing I've learned is that the slightest changes in our bodies/ environments can induces such big changes in our mental processes/ behaviour that we aren't even aware of, so maybe it's not so surprising after all!

Original post by Nettled
Usually I would be tempted to try whatever weirdness I end up reading. But I'm sitting in a room with my dad and mum...

:rofl: If you've no idea what I'm on about it, you're probably part of the lucky majority who doesn't get the feeling anyway
Not emotional, but it makes me feel nauseated.
Reply 13
I imagine the girls rubbing their nipples whilst reading this thread. :sogood: :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes! :rofl: But it's not long lasting at all, it passes after a minute tops. It's such a specific emotion/ feeling. When I was younger I used to think it was because I was growing up and felt a sense of loss for my young, innocent self :moon: But that idea has long passed and I still get the same feeling, so who knows.

So did I! I get the feeling of missing family even though they're right here. :frown:
So strange :lol:

It could well be! It does seem strange that a slight touch can induce such a strong feeling via a neurotransmitter, but I'm currently coming to the end of my psychology degree and one thing I've learned is that the slightest changes in our bodies/ environments can induces such big changes in our mental processes/ behaviour that we aren't even aware of, so maybe it's not so surprising after all!

I really should've picked psychology at A Level :moon: Hey, neuroscience comes pretty close I guess :redface:
I don't know about that, but sometimes when I rub ice cubes on my nipples, I start thinking about polar bears. Is this relevant? No? K ._. *runs away*
Original post by Hodor_van_Groot
I don't know about that, but sometimes when I rub ice cubes on my nipples, I start thinking about polar bears. Is this relevant? No? K ._. *runs away*

Why do you rub ice on your nipples? :lol:
homesick when you rub your nipples? only connection I can make is your mother because you feel homesick and its that feminine area a mother uses to feed her child
Lol I actually like it:s-smilie:
Why do you rub ice on your nipples? :lol:

Are you trying to say people don't rub ice on their nipples?! What sane person wouldn't rub ice on them nips?? O.o

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending