• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jameshankinson99)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 17.06.37.png
Views: 94
Size:  402.7 KB
    The left and right symbols seem to be Mandarin, not sure about the one middle though. Judging by the way they have been painted, not written by a Mandarin speaker/writer?

ReputationRep:
    any ideas what it might say ??

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    The left and right symbols seem to be Mandarin, not sure about the one middle though. Judging by the way they have been painted, not written by a Mandarin speaker/writer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    is that not japanese?
    It's not hiragana or katakana.

Looks like kanji to me. Many Asian counties use kanji, a Chinese system of writing. The characters represent different things, and the things that they represent are said in the different languages.

It's like putting a drawing of a slice of cheese, and a French person saying 'Ah, c'est fromage!', and an English person saying 'That's cheese innit m8.'

No idea what it says though.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jameshankinson99)
    any ideas what it might say ??
    The symbol on the left seems to be mu which means tree or wood.

I'm not sure about the middle dash/cross and box symbol - all three are Mandarin radicals, ie elements of a word in Mandarin, but I can't work out what they mean together like that.

The one on the right looks most like lau which means blue or is a surname.

However, I'm not a Mandarin speaker/writer, just recognise some text and know how to do a basic look up. The challenge is that you can't just directly translate the symbols, because often when they are put together, they mean something quite different from the sum of the parts. So I wouldn't suggest that if the lau and mu are right this means blue something tree, it could mean something quite different, like a saying, or a name.

I think you need to find a Mandarin speaker, there must be many on TSR

They seem to resemble these two characters 格蓝 written deliberately in an immature way. Independently the one on the left means cells or boxes as in Excel or a form, the one on the right means blue. Together the don't mean anything AFAIK except maybe some kind of phonetically translated names like Gran.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.