Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Realised i made a referencing mistake in essay - should i email lecturer? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I have started revising for my university exams and have just read an old essay i submitted and realised i made a referencing mistake. Throughout the essay i refer to an authour as (for example) John (2002) when in the bibliography i correctly reference him as John (2001) which is the correct date. I am always very thorough when it comes to referencing so am annoyed and shocked that this went unnoticed. Should i be worried. Will i be penalized for a mistake like this? Should i email my lecturer? This is an optional sociology/social policy module so i don't really know any of the lecturers since it isn't my department. My friend said it will be fine as was an innocent error, but my university can be quite strict on referencing :/

Should i point out i realise i made a mistake or just leave it? I don't get the results for my essay until next month and is worth 40% (i am 2nd year)

Would be helpful to hear peoples advice
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    An 'old' essay, as in, one that you already got graded for?

Either way, I would leave it. If any penalty exists for such a minor error (IF the marker even spots it) it would be less than significant.

ReputationRep:
    A single referencing error won't take your 1st-class referencing down to a 2:2. I'd be surprised if he even noticed.

ReputationRep:
    People make mistakes. It's a minor referencing error not plagiarism - it might cost you, but you're not going to drop anything like 10% for it. It's done now and no point mithering about it. I wouldn't bother drawing attention to it as that wouldn't do you any good. The work has to be marked as it was handed in, not "as it was handed in plus anything else which occurred to you after the deadline".
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Oh ok then, will just leave it and hope for the best. Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.