Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I need some serious help. I've been off really ill for the past term, and haven't been able to focus on studying over getting better. I've just found out that the final deadline for my final piece of history coursework is in two days. I've had no guidance/correspondence with my teacher other than confirming on a title...and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do (the teacher is now also unavailable).

I am doing OCR, and need help for my investigations essay (I believe the module unit is F965, could be wrong though). Anyway, I'm doing the Vietnam war, and my title is: "To what extent didhostile US media coverage damage public support for the Vietnam War in theperiod 1961-68?"

I have no idea as to how to plan the essay (which is the main problem). The second problem is that I don't know how many "sources" I need, or what constitutes a source with this essay. I don't know if I need referencing and if so, which type, and I just don't know what I'm going to do.

I feel like I am on the verge of a breakdown (which is not helping my health!). Please, please, can somebody, somewhere, help me?! I don't know what I am doing and it would benefit me greatly if I could somehow see an example essay or piece of an essay (whether on Vietnam or not)...as I just don't know how to write this silly essay. I have tried looking at the OCR website and googling, but haven't been very successful.

Please, please help me

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I don't study history or anything so just take this as food for thought rather than a plan you should 100% stick too but an idea for a plan to maybe get your own ideas flowing:

Intro: start off by briefly explaining that specific war - so time period and other general details. Then narrow it down to be linked to the title more. so mention that during this war there was a lot of media coverage, x amount being hostile; which effect public support in a vast variety of ways etc

Main body: several sections on specific media coverage examples and there effect - make sure you mention if it has positive effects as well as negative as this makes for a good conclusion. make sure each paragraph ends by linking into the question and the next section (it may sound slightly repetitive but markers love the linking)

Conclusion - summarise key points from the main body - mention to what extent the effect was damaging and how it did have some good effects in some cases (if applicable) make sure the question id full addressed here pretty much.

This may be helpful or not but hopefully it gets you out of that tough spot where you can't think of a single thing!

-Andi, Undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    I had to write 3 history papers this week, so I hope this helps:

1) Go to the library and use journal databases to find credible sources, they will help give you positions to analyse as well as lots of credible sources. If you can find some primary sources, that will really be helpful.

2) Introduce your topic first, and set out the essay this way:
    • Have historical context (when the Vietnam war took place, the rational that the government took for agreeing to fight, the number of casualties, and major battles or turning of events that took place)
    • Now have social context (the 60s was the time for increased technological development, namely television etc. which was accessible to many Americans at the time, the 60s were also the dawn of the civil rights era, this time time period was still associated with a sense of macho male mentality that men had to go out and fight)
    • Now you can map out how opinions changed (begin with initial support for troops, because it was for the glory of America and the freedom that it stands for, men wanted to fight for their country and be seen as real men, initial glory as seen at the beginning of many other wars)
    • And how the death tolls caused a hit on morale (the US government rational didn't make sense anymore, people were tired of losing their sons, husbands etc, for no reason at all, the civil rights era heightened sensitivity towards the injustices enacted on the local vietnamese resulting in protests etc.)
    • and how media plays into this all (rise of television allowed for video and very emotionally evoking propaganda and contra-war propaganda. Moving mediums like film and television are able to reach a wider audience and relay information more effectively than traditional media like newspapers, people were able to see the protests and see the death count rise with physical proof)
    • You can include primary sources that show testimonials of people at the beginning versus the end of war
    • As a conclusion, you can indicate how Vietnam was really the first war fought during an era of technological development in media as well as development in social justice, which resulted in a shaky ground for the US government to retain support indefinitely. You can also relate this to the real world, because coverage of things like the US -Iraq war etc, decreases morale as well. People seeing injustices on locals, troops dying etc and wonder who's war we are fighting. Vietnam set a precedent for media covering very heavily affecting public morale and support of war.
    Hope this helps, I'm not giving you full on facts but this should give you a foundation to start on.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    ALSO: Having 6-10 sources which are credible, as well as a few popular sources like newspaper articles or primary sources is a good reference list.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing mine too! I think the essay is only 10% overall so it shouldn't be too much of a disaster if it goes wrong

These are the things my teacher said to do:
    1) the sources drive the essay not you opinion
    2) you use your own knowledge to evaluate the sources and from that you determine which factor is the most significant based on the sources
    3) ideally you need ten sources, but eight or nine should still be ok
    4) for the introduction, you briefly explain the time period you're focussing on, then outline the different factors and name a few sources who argue that these factors are the most significant
    5) in each paragraph you talk about one factor using the sources
    6) in the paragraphs you should try to compare the sources to see which is better (synoptic judgement) and evaluate them all the way through with own knowledge
    7) all quotations count so paraphrase to keep your word count down
    8) for the conclusion, determine which factor is the most significant based on the strength of the arguments given by the sources

I hope I explained that ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia)
    Hi all,

I need some serious help. I've been off really ill for the past term, and haven't been able to focus on studying over getting better. I've just found out that the final deadline for my final piece of history coursework is in two days. I've had no guidance/correspondence with my teacher other than confirming on a title...and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do (the teacher is now also unavailable).

I am doing OCR, and need help for my investigations essay (I believe the module unit is F965, could be wrong though). Anyway, I'm doing the Vietnam war, and my title is: "To what extent didhostile US media coverage damage public support for the Vietnam War in theperiod 1961-68?"

I have no idea as to how to plan the essay (which is the main problem). The second problem is that I don't know how many "sources" I need, or what constitutes a source with this essay. I don't know if I need referencing and if so, which type, and I just don't know what I'm going to do.

I feel like I am on the verge of a breakdown (which is not helping my health!). Please, please, can somebody, somewhere, help me?! I don't know what I am doing and it would benefit me greatly if I could somehow see an example essay or piece of an essay (whether on Vietnam or not)...as I just don't know how to write this silly essay. I have tried looking at the OCR website and googling, but haven't been very successful.

Please, please help me
    Hi,

The first thing to do is stop panicking and start rationalising the problem. You have a coursework essay due in and it is important but it can be done before the deadline if you work hard. Also, I would seriously think about asking for an extended deadline? You said you've been ill so surely these are circumstances for an extension?

If you can't then my advice is just to work as hard as you can on this. The first thing you'll need to do is some very basic research on the Vietnam War. Why did the US fail? Why did public support collapse? Did public support collapse? This will give you an idea of the areas of historical debate within this topic. It will also provide you with themes for the essay.

You need to split your essay, depending on the word count, into three or four themes. In your case it could be: the impact of the media, actions of the government etc. Basically what are the alternatives to the argument proposed in the question.

The next thing you need to do is some in depth research. If you can gain access to a local library, a university library would be ideal, then go there and do some heavy research. If not there are tons of great things on the internet. Try getting access to some journals through Google Scholar. From your research you essentially need some evidence to back up your argument and some evidence against it. You, also, need the opinions of some prominent historians. Quotes are essential for this. Whilst researching try and keep it organised. You could organise it by theme or argument or whatever. Whatever works best.

Next create your argument. From the evidence which is the most important factor?

You should be ready to do the essay by this point. Plan what you're going to write in each paragraph and you must keep your argument running through the whole essay. If some evidence goes against your view always try to respond and disagree with it through other bits of evidence. And just keep referring to your argument. This should all be brought together in a final conclusion which summarises what you believe and why.

Hope this helps and good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.