Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone finished learning the content for A levels? I'm doing A2 and will be moving onto past papers next week.

I'll be doing each one numerous times and learning the mark schemes, lol. What's your method?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyezrawna)
    Has everyone finished learning the content for A levels? I'm doing A2 and will be moving onto past papers next week.

I'll be doing each one numerous times and learning the mark schemes, lol. What's your method?
    I'm at a similar stage. Plan to do all of the past papers, then go over the questions that I got wrong, and learn the generic answers.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 15 pages of my History textbook left, and then I'll be done with all the content for all of my subjects.

That'll give me April and a little bit of May to just do past paper after past paper after past paper. I intend to do at least two a day, so I would have done at least 60 by the time the exams come around!

The way I do it is that I don't just 'have a go' at the past paper as soon as I see it. No, straight away I look at the mark scheme and the examiner's reports, and do the paper as in accordance to it. I get to the same position as someone who's tried to do it a first time without the mark scheme and then a second time with the mark scheme, only I save time. Really, what's the point of doing past papers without using the mark schemes?

Well, the first time I do them, that is. If I do them a second time, THEN I'd do it without the mark scheme to test how much I know.

Two of my subjects are new spec though, so there are no past papers available. For those, I'll be making my own essay questions, once I've exhausted the ones my teacher has provided me with.

It should be said that I've probably done about 30 already. For those, I'll just read over them and memorise them.

(All my subjects are essay subjects)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I've got 15 pages of my History textbook left, and then I'll be done with all the content for all of my subjects.

That'll give me April and a little bit of May to just do past paper after past paper after past paper. I intend to do at least two a day, so I would have done at least 60 by the time the exams come around!

The way I do it is that I don't just 'have a go' at the past paper as soon as I see it. No, straight away I look at the mark scheme and the examiner's reports, and do the paper as in accordance to it. I get to the same position as someone who's tried to do it a first time without the mark scheme and then a second time with the mark scheme, only I save time. Really, what's the point of doing past papers without using the mark schemes?

Well, the first time I do them, that is. If I do them a second time, THEN I'd do it without the mark scheme to test how much I know.

Two of my subjects are new spec though, so there are no past papers available. For those, I'll be making my own essay questions, once I've exhausted the ones my teacher has provided me with.

It should be said that I've probably done about 30 already. For those, I'll just read over them and memorise them.

(All my subjects are essay subjects)
    OMG how are you at this stage where you just have 15 pages of work left to do? How have you managed to cover all the content? Especially for history?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebeckett)
    OMG how are you at this stage where you just have 15 pages of work left to do? How have you managed to cover all the content? Especially for history?!
    Started on the first day of February

Probably did 3 hours a day minimum by staying up all night every night. I would stay up till about 3-5 AM every night. Obviously I would be quite tired the next day, and a couple times I actually had to stay off sixth form because I slept right through it. But I told myself I had to do 15 pages of my History textbook a day, regardless of how long it takes. I was done with my Russia textbook by the end of March, and I'll be done with Britain by, oh look, today!

It should be said that I'm doing AS though, so I suppose I have half as much work to do as someone in A2. Not sure how I'm gonna survive A2! xD

I really am glad I started as early as I did though. Now I don't have to stress very much. I can take it quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    Started on the first day of February

Probably did 3 hours a day minimum by staying up all night every night. I would stay up till about 3-5 AM every night. Obviously I would be quite tired the next day, and a couple times I actually had to stay off sixth form because I slept right through it. But I told myself I had to do 15 pages of my History textbook a day, regardless of how long it takes. I was done with my Russia textbook by the end of March, and I'll be done with Britain by, oh look, today!

It should be said that I'm doing AS though, so I suppose I have half as much work to do as someone in A2. Not sure how I'm gonna survive A2! xD

I really am glad I started as early as I did though. Now I don't have to stress very much. I can take it quite easy.
    Wow, well done on being so determined and working hard. I'm sure it will all be worth it next month during exams! How do manage to revise a lot of content soon though? What techniques do you use, especially for History? Good luck with your exams!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, well done on being so determined and working hard. I'm sure it will all be worth it next month during exams!
    God I hope so :afraid:

How do manage to revise a lot of content soon though? What techniques do you use, especially for History? Good luck with your exams!
    I learnt all the content by literally reading through the entirety of the book. Being able to visualise the summary tables and spider-diagrams at the end of the chapter is quite important. Also make sure you can recite all the chapters and sub-chapters in order to jog your memory.

I think timelines are helpful with complicated sections of History where a lot of events take place. I did that with Oliver Cromwell's government, and I might go back and do it with earlier England as well.

If you don't have time to read through the textbook though, I would revise by answering past papers and essay questions, using the book as a reference. That way you're able to locate the important information that you're going to be using in the exam.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    God I hope so :afraid:

I learnt all the content by literally reading through the entirety of the book. Being able to visualise the summary tables and spider-diagrams at the end of the chapter is quite important. Also make sure you can recite all the chapters and sub-chapters in order to jog your memory.

I think timelines are helpful with complicated sections of History where a lot of events take place. I did that with Oliver Cromwell's government, and I might go back and do it with earlier England as well.

If you don't have time to read through the textbook though, I would revise by answering past papers and essay questions, using the book as a reference. That way you're able to locate the important information that you're going to be using in the exam.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the tips and that's what I'm doing now as well 😭 Have to complete timelines though because there are so many rebellions,etc! Good luck to you too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.