Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    :yes:

Flattering but very untrue. :lol:

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's very admirable that you're asking questions on here! You're not the type of person to go "oh well, doesn't work, lel" and instead want to find out why what you did was wrong instead of just accepting the new method. I guarantee that this will get you very far in any mathematical field and I'm entirely sure that you'll ace your exams.
    Awww thank you. Just makes me nervous as I'm doing maths at uni but there's people like you around! So what do I know! Oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths_4_life)
    Why can't you? Thanks though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, you're integrating with respect to x. And \sin x is a function of x. Would you agree that \int x \, \mathrm{d}x = x \int 1 \, \mathrm{d}x = x (x +c) = x^2 + cx? Of course not - x^2 is a function of x (that is, it depends and varies as x varies) and can't be treated as a constant. Same applies to \sin x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    That's the key though. You asked and that makes you a really good learner. So keep using TSR (maths forum - stay away from chat :afraid:) and you'll be fine! :awesome:
    ))

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, you're integrating with respect to x. And \sin x is a function of x. Would you agree that \int x \, \mathrm{d}x = x \int 1 \, \mathrm{d}x = x (x +c) = x^2 + cx? Of course not - x^2 is a function of x (that is, it depends and varies as x varies) and can't be treated as a constant. Same applies to \sin x.
    I don't really understand your example :/ can you explain a bit more....like how it is similar to the problem I had

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh no I understand!!!! Just overcomplicating things! Thank you that really helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand your example :/ can you explain a bit more....like how it is similar to the problem I had

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You asked "why can't you pull \sin x out of the integral", right? The answer is because it's a function of x and you're integrating with respect to x.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you? Thanks though
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because of what dx means, it's a little complicated to go into now, but notice that clearly:
    \displaystyle\int x \ dx = \dfrac{x^2}{2}+\mathcal{C} \not = x \int 1 \ dx =x^2+\mathcal{C}x.

EDIT: Wow, I see Zacken has this covered :/ at least my constant is prettier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Because of what dx means, it's a little complicated to go into now, but notice that clearly:
    \displaystyle\int x \ dx = \dfrac{x^2}{2}+\mathcal{C} \not = x \int 1 \ dx =x^2+\mathcal{C}x.

EDIT: Wow, I see Zacken has this covered :/ at least my constant is prettier.
    Haha yes thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if you've seen this before but I thought it was very interesting (I did get lost about 2 paragraphs in, but it's more suitable for you level).

P.S: I'm glad to see I used the same counterexample as you.

ReputationRep:
    at least my constant is prettier.
    Rekt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Rekt
    Hehe

I'm not sure if you've seen this before but I thought it was very interesting (I did get lost about 2 paragraphs in, but it's more suitable for you level).

I saw you post it before, there's ups and downs for me, didn't take Geometry so manifolds are aren't my thing .

Hehe, simplest one there is .

A problem for those interested might be to find all functions such that:
    x\displaystyle\int f(x) \ dx =\int xf(x) \ dx.

ReputationRep:
    A problem for those interested might be to find all functions such that:
    x\displaystyle\int f(x) \ dx =\int xf(x) \ dx.
    Differentiate both sides: x f(x) + \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = xf(x) \iff \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = 0? Too late for me, I think, can't spot what I've done wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Differentiate both sides: x f(x) + \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = xf(x) \iff \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = 0? Too late for me, I think, can't spot what I've done wrong.
    No, you're not wrong, I must've misremembered the question I was going to ask. . . it's a post somewhere on here, though I don't know if I can find it now :/
    If you replace x with g(x) you can actually show it's only true for constants.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not wrong, I must've misremembered the question I was going to ask. . . it's a post somewhere on here, though I don't know if I can find it now :/
    If you replace x with g(x) you can actually show it's only true for constants.
    Aye, I remember being the one asking you about something and you bringing that up (if that's what you're talking about) - it was:

\displaystyle \int (f'(x))^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = f(x)^2 + \mathcal{C}

Yeah?

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I remember being the one asking you about something and you bringing that up (if that's what you're talking about) - it was:

\displaystyle \int (f'(x))^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = f(x)^2 + \mathcal{C}

Yeah?
    Possibly., in fact quite probably . . I'm getting old, forgetting things

ReputationRep:
    Possibly., in fact quite probably . . I'm getting old, forgetting things
    #SecondYearMathmoThings :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I know you've been taught that you add one to the power, divide by the new power and the divide by the derivative. But that's just plain incorrect. It only applies to integrands of the form (ax+b)^n. Anything else, that "rule" doesn't hold anymore and you need to be a whole lot more creative. Differentiation is easy (squeezing toothpaste out of the tube) and integration is hard (putting the toothpaste back into the tube), there are no straightforward rules for it. The above users have given a nice way to integrate this function.
    Just an after thought ..... Would the method I had used work for anything in the form (af(X) +b)^n or only (ax+b)^n ?
    Eg would it work for (asin(X) + b)^n ? Or (ax^2 + b)^n ?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just an after thought ..... Would the method I had used work for anything in the form (af(X) +b)^n or only (ax+b)^n ?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, the term must be linear. More generally we require an additional term.
    \displaystyle \int f'(x)(af(x)+b)^n \ dx = \dfrac{(af(x)+b)^{n+1}}{a(n+1)}+  \mathcal{C}.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And if you're wondering why Joostan's formula works, the substitution u = f(x) will prove illuminating.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by B_9710)
     \displaystyle \int \cos^3 x dx =\int \cos x (\cos^2 x ) dx = \int \cos x (1-\sin^2 x) dx = \int \left ( \cos x -\sin^2 x\cos x \right ) dx .
    Spoiler:
    Show

Why is your integral spaced like that? :curious:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 30, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.