Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    B956 - Responsible Gambling Bill 2016

Proposed by: Lime Man
    Seconded by: Kay Winters MP

Responsible Gambling Bill 2016

AN ACT to increase responsible gambling by incentivising companies that do more to promote it and effectively punish those who do not

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Definitions

(1) FOBTs refer to Fixed Odds Betting Terminals
    (2) Machine Games Duty refers to total net takings from play on one’s machine games
    (3) Gaming Duty refers to duty paid paid on the gross gaming yield of premises
    (i) Gross gaming yield is stakes received less winnings paid out and charges paid for gaming, such as fees for taking part in poker
    (ii) The rate of duty paid depends on the gross gaming yield of one’s premises in an accounting period
    (4) Category B2 games refer to games with a max stake of £100 pounds, a maximum return of £500 and a spin cycle of 30 seconds
    (5) Category B3 games refer to games with a maximum stake of £2, a maximum return of £500 and a spin cycle of 2 seconds
    (6) Responsible gambling;
    (i) Gambling for pleasure and entertainment but with an awareness of the likelihood of losing and and understanding of the associated risks,
    (ii) Exercising control over gambling activity, and
    (iii) A balance between gambling and other activities and the gambling not causing problems or harm for the gambler or others.
    (7) Grade A listed premises are those that the Gambling commission have decided are displaying ‘good’ levels of responsible gambling promotion
    (8) Grade B listed premises are those that the Gambling Commission have decided are displaying ‘adequate’ levels of responsible gambling promotion
    (9) Grade C listed premises are those that the Gambling Commission have decided are displaying ‘inadequate’ levels of responsible gambling promotion
    (10) Grade A* listed premises are those that the Gambling Commission have decided are displaying 'exceptional' levels of responsible gambling promotion

2. Machine Games Duty

(1) The Machine Games duty on FOBTs will be paid at a rate of 20 pence to the pound
    (i) It will be paid at that rate for both category B2 and B3 games

3. Gaming Duty on Grade A* premises

(1) Grade A* listed premises will be exempt from paying Gaming Duties

3. Gaming Duty on Grade A premises

(1) The person registered on the Gaming Duty register must make 2 returns and payments in each 6 month accounting period
    (2) Payments on accounts are based on the gross gaming yield at each premise for the 3 month period using the following bandings and rates;
    (i) The first £1,173,750 will be taxed at a rate of 7.5 pence to the pound
    (ii) The next £809,000 will be taxed at a rate of 10 pence to the pound
    (iii) The next £1,416,750 will be taxed at a rate of 15 pence to the pound
    (iv) The next £2,990,500 will be taxed at a rate of 20 pence to the pound
    (v) The remainder will be taxed at a rate of 25 pence to the pound
    (3) The final payment is based on the gross gaming yield at each premise for the 6 month accounting period less the payment on account made after 3 months using the following bandings and rates;
    (i) The first £2,347,500 will be taxed at a rate of 7.5 pence to the pound
    (ii) The next £1,618,000 will be taxed at a rate of 10 pence to the pound
    (iii) The next £2,833,500 will be taxed at a rate of 15 pence to the pound
    (iv) The next £5,981,000 will be taxed at a rate of 20 pence to the pound
    (v) The remainder will be taxed at a rate of 25 pence to the pound

4. Gaming Duty on Grade B premises

(1) The person registered on the Gaming Duty register must make 2 returns and payments in each 6 month accounting period
    (2) Payments on accounts are based on the gross gaming yield at each premise for the 3 month period using the following bandings and rates;
    (i) The first £1,173,750 will be taxed at a rate of 15 pence to the pound
    (ii) The next £809,000 will be taxed at a rate of 20 pence to the pound
    (iii) The next £1,416,750 will be taxed at a rate of 30 pence to the pound
    (iv) The next £2,990,500 will be taxed at a rate of 40 pence to the pound
    (v) The remainder will be taxed at a rate of 50 pence to the pound
    (3) The final payment is based on the gross gaming yield at each premise for the 6 month accounting period less the payment on account made after 3 months using the following bandings and rates;
    (i) The first £2,347,500 will be taxed at a rate of 15 pence to the pound
    (ii) The next £1,618,000 will be taxed at a rate of 20 pence to the pound
    (iii) The next £2,833,500 will be taxed at a rate of 30 pence to the pound
    (iv) The next £5,981,000 will be taxed at a rate of 40 pence to the pound
    (v) The remainder will be taxed at a rate of 50 pence to the pound

5. Grade C Listings

(1) The premises that receive a Grade C listing will have their duties at the same rate of Grade B listed premises
    (2) An investigation will be launched to assess the situation regarding the levels of responsible gambling promotion
    (3) The premises will then be given a 3 month period following the investigation and should it not be given a Grade B or above at the end of this period it shall face a penalty

6. Listings and Gradings

(1) The Gambling Commission will grade premises every 12 months
    (2) The premises will be subject to a spontaneous review where the Gambling Commission will take note of;
    (i) Posters and leaflets
    (ii) Responsible gambling observations, interactions and reviews
    (iii) Staff awareness of problem gambling
    (3) The grade that premises receive will fully be at the discretion of the Gambling Commission alone

7. Penalties

(1) Civil Penalties may be applied under the following laws, should Gaming Duties not be paid in accordance with;
    (i) Section 9 of the Finance Act 1994 (civil penalties)
    (ii) Customs and Excise Management Act 1979
    (2) Grade C listed premises that have not improved during their 3 month period can be liable to face the following penalties at the Gambling Commission's discretion;
    (i) A £20,000 fine
    (ii) Temporary closure
    (iii) Permanent closure

8. Commencement, Extent and Short Title

(a) This bill will come into effect immediately following royal assent.
    (b) This bill may be cited as the Responsible Gambling Act 2016.
    (c) This bill will apply to the whole of the United Kingdom

Spoiler:
    Show

Costings

The changes to machine games duties will cost £300m
    The changes to Gaming duty will cost up to £317.6m depending on the number of premises that receive a grade A* listing.

Potential costs £617.6m

Spoiler:
    Show

Notes

The current rates of Machine Games Duty and Gaming Duties can be accessed here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/machine-games-duty
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...53-gaming-duty

I find it easier to take an informal approach to the notes so that’s what I’m going to do here.

The last bill that I wrote on Gaming Duties wasn’t going down very well because from what I saw, it was perceived as “too carrot and not enough stick”. So I’ve decided to go into a different direction, offer cuts in duties to the places that effectively try to combat problem gambling and offer penalties to the places that don’t. I think that this here is the right balance between carrot and stick and I look forward to hearing your views on it.

Grade B listed premises are taxed at the current rates of gaming duty, Grade A pay half, and Grade A* pay none. This provides adequate incentive for premises to prevent problem gambling even if problem gambling can be seen as a means of making short term profit.

Problem gambling is bad for the betting industry just as it’s bad for individuals, this is a peice of sustainable reform to protect consumers as well as provide a boost for an industry that makes sure that customers are as protected as possible.

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Wait... Is this a re-submission with a different name?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not quite sure why it is entitled as such, something tells me this is to make us think it something different to what it is.

ReputationRep:
    How many inspector jobs in the Gambling Commission will this create?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Can we stop writing the same bill with a different name please ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is just resubmitting a bill that failed with a different name that will not contribute significantly enough to the economy to justify its implementation.

Nay.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    What's the changes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    What's the changes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is a kinder sounding name not good enough for you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    This is just resubmitting a bill that failed with a different name that will not contribute significantly enough to the economy to justify its implementation.

Nay.
    Nay, as above.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)

Nay.
    How do we define failed, it never actually went to division?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How do we define failed, it never actually went to division?
    Most of us had already decided, you only have to look at the First Reading to see the widespread opposition.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Lime Man is something like Ant-Man but based on Lyme borreliosis.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I wonder if Lime Man is something like Ant-Man but based on Lyme borreliosis.
    Lolwut?

ReputationRep:
    Nay, due to reasons already stated above

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not. I believe that you and I will clash regularly on gambling policy, and encouraging recreational gambling is a bad, bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is a kinder sounding name not good enough for you?
    No
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This fact was hidden in the spoiler...Potential costs £617.6m - and I'm not surprised. Nay.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    This fact was hidden in the spoiler...Potential costs £617.6m - and I'm not surprised. Nay.
    It's ment to be in a spoiler.... Notes are ment to be put into spoilers
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    It's ment to be in a spoiler.... Notes are ment to be put into spoilers
    Whether it is supposed to be in there or not, this is still a huge cost.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.