Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am on my Year 12 taking my AS exams on Maths, Physics, Biology, Geography and English. I am planning on doing my A2 on Maths (Pure Maths 1), Physics and Biology. I think I am too late to take Further Maths A level but I can still do AS level, which I don't know if it is important since I want to go to universities such and Manchester or UCL.
    They said that Further Maths could be optional but I believe that Further Maths is more favorable.
    Even if I do Further Maths next year, what subjects on maths do I have to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shneebnee)
    I am on my Year 12 taking my AS exams on Maths, Physics, Biology, Geography and English. I am planning on doing my A2 on Maths (Pure Maths 1), Physics and Biology. I think I am too late to take Further Maths A level but I can still do AS level, which I don't know if it is important since I want to go to universities such and Manchester or UCL.
    They said that Further Maths could be optional but I believe that Further Maths is more favorable.
    Even if I do Further Maths next year, what subjects on maths do I have to do?
    It would help a fair bit for first year (not after that though) so if think you can handle the extra work then take it, if not then dont worry about it too much, a lot of people wont have done it

ReputationRep:
    In the long run it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    My Physics teacher and others have told me that it is highly commendable and will really help as the first term of maths you learn at uni is from the A level FM syllabus. It's the question of whether you want to work extra hard at school or at uni. I want to go to UCL too for astrophysics. And I'm in the same boat about whether to do FM or not.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Doing Further Maths might give the opportunity to specialize in either Maths or Physics if you're university offers a mixed first year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.