The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wolfegirl98
Enjoy your cancer on a plate people.

K.
Original post by Student403
From your third link

The world already produces more than 1 ½ times enough food to feed everyone on the planet. That’s enough to feed 10 billion people, the population peak we expect by 2050.

At the current rate of food growth to population does that mean we will need enough food for 20 billion people to feed 10 billion people due to the increase in demand for meat?
Original post by cookiejjch
At the current rate of food growth to population does that mean we will need enough food for 20 billion people to feed 10 billion people due to the increase in demand for meat?

Nope. This statement is made in the hypothetical situation that bad distribution didn't exist
I really want a nice, juicy chicken shawarma right now :redface:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
K.

Says all you need to know about her credibility
OP is silly. You might as well ask; why do people drink alcohol? Why do people smoke? Why doesn't jet fuel melt steel beams?
Original post by champ_mc99
But you say we're not "designed" to eat meat which I think is not true. We're not designed to be cannibals because it can cause severe health problems and can wipe us out (excluding obvious moral values). I think the benefits of us eating meat outweighs the health risks. Like I said we do benefit majorlu from eating meat.

Please do your research before claiming that meat is healthy, you've been brainwashed. I don't blaim you. I'm glad you're intrigued by this so would greatly recommend you start to watch cowspiracy on YouTube although that's more about sustainability than health. Meat is something that should not be in our diet fullstop. if you want to eat something filled with growth hormones, estrogen, puss, disease, stuff that causes cancer, something that gives you heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes go ahead. Do you think potatoes give you cancer? Broccoli? No. Animal protein is FAR TOO acidic for the human body, it's your choice if you want to make your body a grave. But just know that it's killing innocent beings, emptying our oceans, tearing down our Amazon, polluting our waters, slowly poisoning our bodies, just so these massive companies can get rich.
Original post by Tootles
We're optimised for eating both. Our digestive systems are suited to a mixed diet, and that's a simple physiological fact. I'm not saying we need to eat meat, I'm just saying that our body is designed to handle it. If it wasn't, eating meat would make us ill.

Yes, you can live on only plants, like the gorilla in your picture. It is a valid life choice. But that is a different species, with a different evolutionary heritage and a different set of parameters governing how it lives; using it as an example, even momentarily, makes everything else you say rather less credible, if I'm honest.

If you want to complain about things we're not designed to eat, complain about processed grain. Processed grain is unhealthy, and causes more dietary problems than any other food type.

Did you pull that out your *******? You're complaining about grains? PLEASE. ****ing hell dude, do your research. I'm concerned for you if you think that processed grain is unhealthy and meat isn't. I'm really not going to type this out for you. Do your research. Open your eyes to what lies we are being told.
Please do your research before claiming that meat is healthy, you've been brainwashed. I don't blaim you. I'm glad you're intrigued by this so would greatly recommend you start to watch cowspiracy on YouTube although that's more about sustainability than health. Meat is something that should not be in our diet fullstop. if you want to eat something filled with growth hormones, estrogen, puss, disease, stuff that causes cancer, something that gives you heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes go ahead. Do you think potatoes give you cancer? Broccoli? No. Animal protein is FAR TOO acidic for the human body, it's your choice if you want to make your body a grave. But just know that it's killing innocent beings, emptying our oceans, tearing down our Amazon, polluting our waters, slowly poisoning our bodies, just so these massive companies can get rich.

No I agree with the hideous extent meat production has gone to feed the ever increasing overweight nations such as the USA. But that doesn't mean I have to completely give up on meat.
Of course much of meat can can cause health but so can sugar and salt right? Have you given up on those too?
Why do many meat eaters live until their 80s 90s or even 100s? Why are there extremely muscular and healthy people who eat meat?
damn guess ill wait til 2017 to eat these couple of chicken dippers i had planned to eat tomorrow

That wasn't 60 seconds.
Original post by champ_mc99
No I agree with the hideous extent meat production has gone to feed the ever increasing overweight nations such as the USA. But that doesn't mean I have to completely give up on meat.
Of course much of meat can can cause health but so can sugar and salt right? Have you given up on those too?
Why do many meat eaters live until their 80s 90s or even 100s? Why are there extremely muscular and healthy people who eat meat?

For me it's about ethics and the sustainability of the planet. The health is just on the side. A plant based diet shows great results in the long term. Feeding our bodies what the earth gives us, the earth we will be restored to when we die. I don't need to eat added sugar and salt. The only sugar is in my fruit which is the type of sugar that the body can break down into energy the easiest, same as carbs which I have with my dinner - pasta, rice, bread this gives me energy too and is not something that should be avoided like uneducated people suggest.
Original post by Student403
That wasn't 60 seconds.

Grow up. You get the idea, this guys only trying to help inform.
Grow up. You get the idea, this guys only trying to help inform.

That got your attention. I actually wanted to ask why you stopped replying after I proved my point using your sources.
I dunno, I thought about stopping my meat intake entirely & then eventually did regardless of what the people around me felt as I felt it was better for animals rights, my health & the environment. I've never felt better really, for me it was mainly a matter of ethics. We don't need to eat meat to survive & appetite really isn't a good reason to consume it.
Original post by Multitalented me
I dunno, I thought about stopping my meat intake entirely & then eventually did regardless of what the people around me felt as I felt it was better for animals rights, my health & the environment. I've never felt better really, for me it was mainly a matter of ethics. We don't need to eat meat to survive & appetite really isn't a good reason to consume it.

I feel exactly the same! I can't even look at chicken now without wanting to vomit. 4 years ago I used to eat chicken all the time now it just repulses me. I guess we just have to make sacrifices for the things we love - our animals and our planet!
Original post by Bobjim12
Why do people eat vegetables? Aren't they too living things if you think about it? They grow, they reproduce, they die. Very much like animals. And who says they don't feel pain

image.jpeg
They literally don't even have a nervous system. Grow up please
****ing hell dude, do your research.

'I've done my research!!!!'

'I've watched this 1.5 minute clip with conspiracy theory music!!!!'
I feel exactly the same! I can't even look at chicken now without wanting to vomit. 4 years ago I used to eat chicken all the time now it just repulses me. I guess we just have to make sacrifices for the things we love - our animals and our planet!
Exactly! :smile: For me I always thought about things like this then did internet research & watching certain documentaries totally altered my own perspective of things. I used to eat so much meat, (doner kebab, fried chicken etc) & now my appetite has totally changed now I know how it's sourced. I feel much more happier now anyway, it's like I've found peace with myself & feel much more in touch with nature :smile: