The Student Room Group

MYGCSESCIENCE vs CGP revision guides

What do you guys use and what do u think is better?

Scroll to see replies

CGP revision guides are awesome! Very helpful...the free Unit 1 videos are good...I guess its worth buying the whole set although I haven't brought it...
Reply 2
Use both in unison to achieve top grades

Also use the spec
Original post by zanner
Use both in unison to achieve top grades

Also use the spec

I don't understand, why would you need to use both?
Wouldn't either one cover everything you need to know??
Reply 4
I hate CGP with a passion.
Reply 5
Maybe, but it's two different ways of learning so it freshens stuff up a little.
I haven't used the first one -my school use a different textbook- however we use the CGP guides too. The main thing to notice about the CGP ones is that they are called 'revision guides' for a reason. They're for revising, not necessarily for learning new content.

I find that the thicker, more detailed books are suitable for learning new things as they often hav exam questions, tips and sections dedicated to the higher tier only whereas the CGP books seem to all be mushed (for want of a better word) together. They're perfect for revising topics that you already know but not so good knowing what it is exactly you need to know, if that makes any sense.

A final difference between the two is that there obviously written by different people which means things will be worded differently etc. Sometimes one will explain it a lot better (or more simply) than the other and so by using both you get the best of both worlds. And if you can borrow them from school, it's even better because then they're FREEEEEE!!!!!!
Original post by ombtom
I hate CGP with a passion.

yeah, many people love it, but idk for me i feel that its too overwhelming
mygcsescience on the otherhand, great for visual learners(like me so maybe im bias) and his videos are concise
Reply 8
Yep. My friend showed me a page in their CGP book that just had pictures of cows. In a maths book. With no link to any maths. Cows. Nope.
I use both of them at the same time. I'll read the page first and then watch the video whilst taking notes. If you would like I could talk more on my favourite of the two, MyGCSEScience our lord and savior.
Original post by kat.dance10
I haven't used the first one -my school use a different textbook- however we use the CGP guides too. The main thing to notice about the CGP ones is that they are called 'revision guides' for a reason. They're for revising, not necessarily for learning new content.

I find that the thicker, more detailed books are suitable for learning new things as they often hav exam questions, tips and sections dedicated to the higher tier only whereas the CGP books seem to all be mushed (for want of a better word) together. They're perfect for revising topics that you already know but not so good knowing what it is exactly you need to know, if that makes any sense.

A final difference between the two is that there obviously written by different people which means things will be worded differently etc. Sometimes one will explain it a lot better (or more simply) than the other and so by using both you get the best of both worlds. And if you can borrow them from school, it's even better because then they're FREEEEEE!!!!!!

hm...probably why i dont find cgp that useful. i basically have forgotten p1 and c1
Possibly..... Hope you're able to catch up in time for your exams. What exam board are you on?
Possibly..... Hope you're able to catch up in time for your exams. What exam board are you on?

AQA. yeah...so much...to catch up on..:frown:
Aww, best of luck with that x
Night before my exams I read the entire section for that science exam (roughly about 30 pages) and got strait A*'s in science. Of course I was already working at A-A* grade but honestly nowhere will you find a more detailed way to cover all content on an exam in like 2 hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww, best of luck with that x

are you doing gcses atm
Yeah, on OCR for Science though
I use neither. And everyone knows where that is gonna get me.
Yeah, on OCR for Science though

Ah. How are you revising for sciences then atm?
I've trimmed some paper to make multiple A5 pages and am going through all the modules making little posters on each topic before sticking them on my bedroom wall. Being A5 sized means 1) it takes up less space and 2) I really have to think about the content I put on. It has to be concise but still contain all important information.
Going to do this for all of my subjects so I'll probably end up having almost a new wallpaper, haha

Wby? How have you been revising?

Quick Reply

Latest