Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting into Uni with 2 A-Levels??? Special Considerations?!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Basically I'm finishing my 2 A-Levels in Psychology and English Language, both predicted A/A*. I'm planning on having a gap year where I'll work at a hospital before applying to do Psychology as an Msci at uni... the problem is, i'll only have 2 A-Levels. I went to hospital with depression for pretty much the whole of the AS year and the 1.5 terms of A2 but despite that didn't fall behind, just had to drop an A-level.

What would you suggest? I'm so passionate about Psychology and it's all I want to do.. but as I want to do an Msci, it'll be harder to get in and most unis seem to require 3 As. Is there some kind of access course or distanced learning course I could do? I was looking at doing an AS in Biology or Sociology in my year out, but again this won't be a full A level. I'm hopefully going to be working as a Healthcare Support Worker in a psychiatric ward for some experience. Does anyone reckon they'd accept me on the provisions of my hospital admissions and relevant work experience? I'm super worried and unsure about what to do next year... this is given that i even pass my A levels! Ahh!!

Thank you guys
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schaffles)
    Hi!

Basically I'm finishing my 2 A-Levels in Psychology and English Language, both predicted A/A*. I'm planning on having a gap year where I'll work at a hospital before applying to do Psychology as an Msci at uni... the problem is, i'll only have 2 A-Levels. I went to hospital with depression for pretty much the whole of the AS year and the 1.5 terms of A2 but despite that didn't fall behind, just had to drop an A-level.

What would you suggest? I'm so passionate about Psychology and it's all I want to do.. but as I want to do an Msci, it'll be harder to get in and most unis seem to require 3 As. Is there some kind of access course or distanced learning course I could do? I was looking at doing an AS in Biology or Sociology in my year out, but again this won't be a full A level. I'm hopefully going to be working as a Healthcare Support Worker in a psychiatric ward for some experience. Does anyone reckon they'd accept me on the provisions of my hospital admissions and relevant work experience? I'm super worried and unsure about what to do next year... this is given that i even pass my A levels! Ahh!!

Thank you guys
    Extenuating circumstances can make up for decreased grades but no uni would really accept them for a missing subject. Email the universities you are interested in for advice. I would think that taking up a fast track 3rd subject in your gap year is your best bet but see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    Not for psychology but I know people that have gotten in with 2 Alevels (granted they also had an extra AS)
    Generally people would then either apply for a foundation year course or apply to unis which look at tariff points rather than grades as then you could still have a fairly good chance. The only problem is a lot of these universities are not seen as "good" (not my words) so you may be better off trying to see if you can find a foundation year course or an Acess course which is normally for people who have disadvantaged backgrounds but I'm no expert on this! You could try an open university course as well?
    I hope you manage to get in!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the advice! I was just researching accredited diplomas. Do you reckon an accredited diploma in CBT would be an equivalent of an A-Level? It's quite pricey but would be very relevant to my studies and would also probably get me a relevant job. This is all so confusing!

ReputationRep:
    The advice Claire has given you is correct. Your best route is to da a fast track A level possibly one of the ones you dropped at AS level might be best as the first year will then be revision and you will only be doing A2 as a new item.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.