Turn on thread page Beta

Hello
    I'm quite confused about my situation so I'll appreciate any input, thank you.

So around at the beginning of February, I often started crying for no apparent reason. I was doing homework or doing other things on the Internet etc, and suddenly, Id stop doing it and stare at the wall, and tears would start to well up. It happened almost everyday for a week or so, but I thought it was just a temporary stress or something, so I put it aside and lived a very normal life without anyone noticing a thing.

Not much happened between then and until two weeks ago, when my brain for some reason decided to start replaying horrible memories from years ago. I won't go into details here but I feel negative emotions that I put aside during the bad years at the back of my head, and have *****y dreams related to that period of time.

I have no idea why I'm remembering all those things after years when there doesn't seem to be anything in my life currently that's remotely similar to what happened in the past. And I have even less idea why they should be affecting me in the way they are now. I feel down, I can't concentrate on work, and I have no appetite. I'm stuffing food into my mouth because I have to, but even my favourite food tastes like a piece of cloth.

I don't know what is going on. I'm confused. Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I did and still do struggle with this. There was a point where I didn't really do ANYTHING because I couldn't stop thinking about things in the past. I'm homeschooled so unless I make plans I never see anyone. I went months without seeing anyone besides my mum and I didn't do anything except sit at my desk when I was supposed to study and think about all these sad things from my past. One day I made the decision that I had to start living life again. I started talking to my old friends again, I did more exercise and I started holistic treatments. I think honestly spending more time with people who made me feel happier but also opening up to someone about my struggles helped me. I also realised that you have to forgive others/yourself for whatever happened. We all make mistakes. Forgiving someone is not a sign of weakness, it's when you realise that you/someone else did something wrong, but you're going to stop thinking about it all the time and move on and live your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello
    I'm quite confused about my situation so I'll appreciate any input, thank you.

So around at the beginning of February, I often started crying for no apparent reason. I was doing homework or doing other things on the Internet etc, and suddenly, Id stop doing it and stare at the wall, and tears would start to well up. It happened almost everyday for a week or so, but I thought it was just a temporary stress or something, so I put it aside and lived a very normal life without anyone noticing a thing.

Not much happened between then and until two weeks ago, when my brain for some reason decided to start replaying horrible memories from years ago. I won't go into details here but I feel negative emotions that I put aside during the bad years at the back of my head, and have *****y dreams related to that period of time.

I have no idea why I'm remembering all those things after years when there doesn't seem to be anything in my life currently that's remotely similar to what happened in the past. And I have even less idea why they should be affecting me in the way they are now. I feel down, I can't concentrate on work, and I have no appetite. I'm stuffing food into my mouth because I have to, but even my favourite food tastes like a piece of cloth.

I don't know what is going on. I'm confused. Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice?

Thank you.
    I think you might be experiencing Depression. I would advise that you visit your GP straight away. Your GP can assess what sort of treatment is best for you at this time. If left untreated things are likely to progress, perhaps even resulting in some sort of psychotic episode - which you don't want!
    Don't suffer alone; go get professional help - that's what your parents and grandparents have paid taxes and National Insurance for all these years - so that your GP and help was there for you when you need it! Make an appointment to stay on top of things. Best wishes.

(Original post by aspiehs)
    I did and still do struggle with this. There was a point where I didn't really do ANYTHING because I couldn't stop thinking about things in the past. I'm homeschooled so unless I make plans I never see anyone. I went months without seeing anyone besides my mum and I didn't do anything except sit at my desk when I was supposed to study and think about all these sad things from my past. One day I made the decision that I had to start living life again. I started talking to my old friends again, I did more exercise and I started holistic treatments. I think honestly spending more time with people who made me feel happier but also opening up to someone about my struggles helped me. I also realised that you have to forgive others/yourself for whatever happened. We all make mistakes. Forgiving someone is not a sign of weakness, it's when you realise that you/someone else did something wrong, but you're going to stop thinking about it all the time and move on and live your life.
    Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that you've been struggling but also glad to hear that I am not alone. It is difficult for me to forgive anyone, because the things that are bothering me aren't actually anyone's fault. It may have even been slightly easier if it were actually someone's fault, because then I could direct every negative emotion into grudge against that person, but in my case my negative emotion is kinda just floating around in my head without anywhere else to go to. It is quite annoying how at the corner of my head I want to live my life the way it is now, but those shits' been invading my current life, especially a month and a half before my exams. At least today I got the courage to talk to the person who's in charge of pastoral care (which was nerve wrecking af), so I am getting somewhere with this.

(Original post by CUT THE BULL)
    I think you might be experiencing Depression. I would advise that you visit your GP straight away. Your GP can assess what sort of treatment is best for you at this time. If left untreated things are likely to progress, perhaps even resulting in some sort of psychotic episode - which you don't want!
    Don't suffer alone; go get professional help - that's what your parents and grandparents have paid taxes and National Insurance for all these years - so that your GP and help was there for you when you need it! Make an appointment to stay on top of things. Best wishes.
    Thank you for your reply. Depression is a possibility I've thought of, and might explain the feelings I'm experiencing. But that creates another confusion - why now, and not years ago. I never seeked for help (I was very young and didn't want to get my parents involved) but I felt suicidal for a period of time back then. I managed to fight it off and survived past few years without bad thoughts... And yet **** comes back when things are going well, now (dw I'm not thinking of taking my life now) ... Even if I had depression or something similar back then, it is difficult to understand why I felt very normal past few years. Oh well. This is something I should discuss with a professional I suppose. I'll talk to someone in the next few days... Once again thank you for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. Depression is a possibility I've thought of, and might explain the feelings I'm experiencing. But that creates another confusion - why now, and not years ago. I never seeked for help (I was very young and didn't want to get my parents involved) but I felt suicidal for a period of time back then. I managed to fight it off and survived past few years without bad thoughts... And yet **** comes back when things are going well, now (dw I'm not thinking of taking my life now) ... Even if I had depression or something similar back then, it is difficult to understand why I felt very normal past few years. Oh well. This is something I should discuss with a professional I suppose. I'll talk to someone in the next few days... Once again thank you for your reply.
    You're very welcome. As I understand it there are two forms of depression: one which is a reaction to events and another which just comes ( maybe just due to brain chemistry or whatever). There may be a number of reasons why it has come, stress of studying, teenage brain and hormonal changes, or it might have just come. In that frame of mind your brain might be latching on to those events in your past as they were the most negative experiences you've ever had.
    Well done for having the courage to speak to someone at school. I would still recommend speaking to your GP, however, as they are best educated to make an assessment on the exact nature of what it is that is happening with you. If you are part of a practice then maybe make the appointment with the doctor you feel would be most understanding.
    Wishing you all the very best.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that you've been struggling but also glad to hear that I am not alone. It is difficult for me to forgive anyone, because the things that are bothering me aren't actually anyone's fault. It may have even been slightly easier if it were actually someone's fault, because then I could direct every negative emotion into grudge against that person, but in my case my negative emotion is kinda just floating around in my head without anywhere else to go to. It is quite annoying how at the corner of my head I want to live my life the way it is now, but those shits' been invading my current life, especially a month and a half before my exams. At least today I got the courage to talk to the person who's in charge of pastoral care (which was nerve wrecking af), so I am getting somewhere with this.
    I'm so happy that you decided to speak to someone. Hope things for you only go up from here.

An update:I had a session with a child psychiatrist (idk the exact job title) today. It was a strange experience... Liberating in a way, but mostly nerve-wracking and exhausting, and it felt like someone else was talking instead of me. I really didn't know what was coming out of my mouth, and I expected myself to cry or something but instead I laughed so much I have no idea what was going on. She did not explicitly say whether I have depression, anxiety or some other mental illness, or not but anyway hopefully we'll put things back on the right track... Cheers guys for the response earlier.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.