Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between firming either UEA or HYMS for medicine, having been very fortunate and grateful to have received offers recently. The courses both offer early clinical placements, and a mix of teaching methods (PBL, lectures, etc) which seem great! But I'm finding it quite difficult to choose one or the other.

Is anyone in a similar situation, or has already decided to firm either of these universities? Are there any current students who have personal experience of studying there?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicine11)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between firming either UEA or HYMS for medicine, having been very fortunate and grateful to have received offers recently. The courses both offer early clinical placements, and a mix of teaching methods (PBL, lectures, etc) which seem great! But I'm finding it quite difficult to choose one or the other.

Is anyone in a similar situation, or has already decided to firm either of these universities? Are there any current students who have personal experience of studying there?

Thank you for taking the time to read this
    Hi, I'm a current UEA student. What would you like to know?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Cam, thanks for your message

I just wanted to ask why you chose to apply to UEA, and if you had to decide where to firm/insurance on UCAS, why you decided to put UEA as firm or insurance, please?

Also, how are you finding the teaching? Is it heavily PBL based?

With regards to accommodation, did you/are you staying in university halls, and was it nice?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicine11)
    Hi Cam, thanks for your message

I just wanted to ask why you chose to apply to UEA, and if you had to decide where to firm/insurance on UCAS, why you decided to put UEA as firm or insurance, please?

Also, how are you finding the teaching? Is it heavily PBL based?

With regards to accommodation, did you/are you staying in university halls, and was it nice?

Thank you!
    Hi UEA was my first choice when I was applying, so I was really happy to get an offer from there. There's loads of reasons why it was my first choice, I think the biggest one was how clinically integrated the course is. I was looking for a course where I'd get loads of opportunity to meet patients throughout, because for me that's by far the best way to learn. If I did one of these courses with a preclinical/clinical divide I'd go insane, so I loved how at UEA you're on placement from your first week, going to GP once a week throughout the five years and at hospital for three months of every year too. I understand at HYMS they divide the years into "phases I, II and III", but I was looking for a course with high levels of clinical exposure throughout.

I also just generally liked the way the UEA course is structured. I don't know how much you know, but the course here is split into systems-based modules, for example I'm in fourth year where our three modules are obs & gynae, paediatrics and mental health. Each module consists of eight weeks campus-based teaching (where each week we have a PBL session, then lectures and seminars, then end the week with our GP tutor day where we have clinical teaching and meet relevant patients) and four weeks hospital-based teaching (ward work, clinical teaching, clinics, theatre, clerking patients etc). It means we get a really comprehensive overview of each specialty which I think is great, and it means there's loads of chances to get help if you're struggling to understand anything.

The other places I had offers from were Keele and Leicester. I firmed UEA because I was totally in love with the place, and then Keele was my insurance because at that time they would accept A*AB (I don't know if this is still the case, I was the first cohort of A level students who could get A*s) and I thought their course was great too.

As for how I'm finding the teaching, as I've said I really love it. Just under half of our time is on clinical placements which really suits me. The teaching there is generally really good, for example I've just done my four week paeds placement, and every day of that we'd get together as a group with a consultant for teaching and support. They even had a Whatsapp group with our group and all the consultants/juniors on so they could get in touch if there were interesting patients, what clinics are going on, to organise extra teaching and so we could ask any questions. The GP tutors are really good too, you go there in your PBL groups and they have the whole day dedicated to your teaching. If you're the kind of person who wants your teaching really consolidated in lots of different ways - group work, lectures, seminars, placements - UEA is for you.

In terms of is it heavily PBL based, yes and no. Yeah, you have a three hour PBL session every week (of your campus-based teaching), in which you will spend half the session discussing/presenting the previous week's learning and half of it brainstorming and planning the next week's learning. Obviously this is all guided by a PBL tutor. But the purpose of this is more for consolidation and guidance rather than actual learning. Your learning will be done in the three days after PBL, which will have lectures and seminars relevant to that week's learning, and in the day of GP placement after that. You're not totally left on your own or totally reliant on your group to learn. In (currently) the first three years, you produce a short piece of written work each week which your group can use to learn from, and they all produce the same for you, so you'll have ten short documents to learn from. So yeah, the course is based around PBL, but one of the main pluses of the course is that there's so many different ways of learning, and PBL is just one of them really.

As for accommodation, I'm in fourth year now so I've been living in private accommodation for the last three years. I really liked halls, I met my best friends there. There's loads of different types available, I'm happy to have a chat about which ones you're thinking of and which I'd recommend. But yeah I was happy in halls, everyone's in the same boat which is nice, and it's another way to meet people when you start.

Sorry for waffling! I hope that's answered your questions but just let me know if there's any more you'd like to know Have you had a chance to visit UEA or come on any of the open days?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, congrats on your offers!

I'm in 3rd year at HYMS and would say that the course is very similar to what's just been posted about UEA^ (you have loads of clinical contact throughout as well starting from the 3rd week, don't think there's anywhere with any more early clinical contact!)

Some pros for HYMS I think would be that both Hull and York are much bigger than Norwich, so more going on, more shopping, better nightlife etc. The hospitals in Hull are also very big teaching hospitals which have things like neurosurgery and cardiac surgery as well as lots of complex cases referred from the region, which might be interesting and I think the hospitals in Norwich don't have these. (not been to Norwich before but I'm pretty sure this is the case)

Either way, whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy wherever, feel free to message if you'd like to know more about HYMS

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ab192;63825733]Hi, congrats on your offers!

I would like to know if you have any international students from Canada and US and how they would rate it or how they feel in terms of taking the licensing exams after completing the 5 years. DO you think the teaching is well rounded in all areas meaning you are learning all the aspects of medicine and not missing on anything because of it being a PBL. also do you have any tips for interview preparation.
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.