"A girlfriend takes too much time" fact or myth? Watch

zill1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I asked a guy recently if he had a girlfriend. He said "No, takes too much time".

I've never had a girl friend so can't really be sure if its really true to not. I use to have this perception as well. So for guys for who had girlfriends, how true is this?

I guess it depends on the "quality" of your girlfriend? Is she "above" or "below" you. If "above" then yes it would take too much time as she would have high expectations. But if "below" you then she would be doing more stuff for your benefit I guess?
Blondie987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah obviously that's the reason I don't have one, not enough time
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
idk about 'time' but it's certainly a large commitment to take on board and life is undeniably easier n more peaceful when you don't have to worry about a partner.
StarsDestination
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Time well spent.

Spoiler:
Show
As long as she meets all the requirement I meticulously typed in the thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3982285 Ladies, i advise you to read and pay careful attention
stefano865
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some think relationships are worth it and some don't.

Ultimately, what you give is what you get. Only when you invest in people will you reap the rewards.

zill1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blondie987)
Yeah on spilt that's the reason I don't have one, not enough time
Really? A bf takes a lot of time too? Are you going for someone above you?
zill1
Rep:
?
(Original post by stefano865)
Some think relationships are worth it and some don't.

Ultimately, what you give is what you get. Only when you invest in people will you reap the rewards.

Not all investments turn out to be a success though.
Tabstercat
Badges: 14
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
idk about 'time' but it's certainly a large commitment to take on board and life is undeniably easier n more peaceful when you don't have to worry about a partner.
/thread
stefano865
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zill1)
Not all investments turn out to be a success though.

Of course.

But if you don't try...

Stick to Tinder hookups for now then I guess. But like many people you will eventually want something more.

Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Relationships do take time, yes, but depending on the person this is a good thing. In my first relationship I would have gone to the ends of the Earth with her at pretty much any expense.

My priorities were different during my second relationship and contributed to me breaking things off.

I'm of the mindset that my work is too important to get involved with someone who doesn't understand how much time and energy my work requires. Plus I have a lot of hobbies that I prioritise above most people.
Trump POTUS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
During education yes it "wastes" a lot of time. You have to decide if she's worth it or not.
cosmic angel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This doesn't answer the question, but the way you describe people with words like "above" and "beneath" bothers me. Surely without equality in a relationship there'd be little love and respect.

And to have someone who'd be "doing more stuff for your benefit" isn't the point of a relationship. Except one where you're a user.
zill1
Rep:
?
(Original post by cosmic angel)
This doesn't answer the question, but the way you describe people with words like "above" and "beneath" bothers me. Surely without equality in a relationship there'd be little love and respect.

And to have someone who'd be "doing more stuff for your benefit" isn't the point of a relationship. Except one where you're a user.

What doesn't answer the question? Can you answer the question?
cosmic angel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zill1)
What doesn't answer the question? Can you answer the question?
My post didn't answer your question. And answering your question is not my intention.

Confused much?
zill1
Rep:
?
My post didn't answer your question. And answering your question is not my intention.

Confused much?
Unlike a lot of threads, everyone in this thread so far have put in valuable input. Your input is not so good unfortunately.

In an ideal world, everything is good and perfect and we are all winners. But we don't live in an ideal world. Some people are richer, better looking, smarter, funnier, friendlier, more sociable etc than others.

Depends what you want at the end of the day. The trouble with going for someone desirable is that they have many people going for them so if they don't desire you as much than you better put in much more effort to get their attention.
Camilli
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought this was one of those foreplay threads. Which should not be a problem to the 60-minute man.
TrotskyiteRebel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
fact
cosmic angel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zill1)
Unlike a lot of threads, everyone in this thread so far have put in valuable input. Your input is not so good unfortunately.
Everyone but me huh?
Looks like your really don't like my post lol.

(Original post by zill1)
In an ideal world, everything is good and perfect and we are all winners. But we don't live in an ideal world. Some people are richer, better looking, smarter, funnier, friendlier, more sociable etc than others.

Depends what you want at the end of the day. The trouble with going for someone desirable is that they have many people going for them so if they don't desire you as much than you better put in much more effort to get their attention.
People not being objectively equal is one thing, wanting a relationship with someone who you don't, from your perspective, consider your equal, in the sense that you are "above" or "beneath" them, and where one of you is using the other for their qualities, is another and is plainly wrong.

And I'd go for people I have feelings for, not for people who rank specifically on a desirability scale. If I loved them, I'd consider them my equal - even though objectively they might be less good-looking, less sociable or less charming than me. Love makes people equal that way. :lovedup: Your approach to relationships is, in my opinion, extremely materialistic and just kills love and respect.
abc101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everyone but me huh?

People not being objectively equal is one thing, wanting a relationship with someone who you don't, from your perspective, consider your equal, in the sense that you are "above" or "beneath" them, and where one of you is using the other for their qualities, is another and is plainly wrong.

And I'd go for people I have feelings for, not for people who rank specifically on a desirability scale. If I loved them, I'd consider them my equal - even though objectively they might be less good-looking, less sociable or less charming than me. Love makes people equal that way. :lovedup: Your approach to relationships is, in my opinion, extremely materialistic and just kills love and respect.
This!
zill1
Rep:
?
Everyone but me huh?

Even if you have feelings for someone, you still have to be willing to spend time on them. Maybe you consider doing something else much more worthwhile.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (13)
38.24%
I really love the subject (11)
32.35%
I don't know what else to do (6)
17.65%
I can't get a job (1)
2.94%
My parents want me to (1)
2.94%