Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know much about locuming after FY2? I'm thinking about potentially doing some more study between then and specialty training, but would need to be able to earn about £10,000-£15,000/year for it to be really feasible. I'd have 24 clear weeks a year in holiday to do as much as possible, and could probably manage a day or two a week the rest of the time. Can't imagine I'd be very picky about specialty, and willing to get in the car and trek wherever wanted me.

Old threads seem to suggest that picking up such work is fairly east, but I was wondering if that was still the case - some of the juniors I've spoken to have suggested that it's getting harder? I'm curious about average pay rates too, as I'm not really sure how the new cap has affected things. Have tried googling but to no avail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemo14)
    Does anyone know much about locuming after FY2? I'm thinking about potentially doing some more study between then and specialty training, but would need to be able to earn about £10,000-£15,000/year for it to be really feasible. I'd have 24 clear weeks a year in holiday to do as much as possible, and could probably manage a day or two a week the rest of the time. Can't imagine I'd be very picky about specialty, and willing to get in the car and trek wherever wanted me.

Old threads seem to suggest that picking up such work is fairly east, but I was wondering if that was still the case - some of the juniors I've spoken to have suggested that it's getting harder? I'm curious about average pay rates too, as I'm not really sure how the new cap has affected things. Have tried googling but to no avail!
    Getting people to talk about rates is difficult, anecdotally I have heard that some/many (?) including the hospitals here in Oxford are sticking to the locum cap. The capped rates are public and on google (£25/h). This is just chat with the medical student, I'm not employed here.

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to do this in an ideal world. Though the new rates would be extremely off-putting depending on the type of work available (medical ward cover no way. Medical take - maybe).

Aside from getting the work, one thing I am worried about is the revalidation process to keep your medical licence. The page on the GMC website is very vague about what that actually involves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I would also like to do this in an ideal world. Though the new rates would be extremely off-putting depending on the type of work available (medical ward cover no way. Medical take - maybe).

Aside from getting the work, one thing I am worried about is the revalidation process to keep your medical licence. The page on the GMC website is very vague about what that actually involves.
    http://www.gmc-uk.org/8a_annexb.pdf_25398057.pdf

Not sure if you've seen this, but it seems to suggest that there will be a specific procedure developed for locums, and I'd guess if you were working roughly a part time equivalent over the course of a year, you should still be re validated under that? There's also a section talking about career breaks, and the development of returner and retainer possibilities, though there's no specifics on that. Not tremendously helpful. I'm only thinking of locuming for two years, so I'm hoping it'll be short enough not to be too much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Not to say that I know anything about locum revalidation, but a colleague at work (this is in publishing) is going through revalidation having not touched a patient in two years. I think it's as easy (or as horrid) for her as for anyone else! She has had to keep a reflective diary of CPD, get '360° online feedback' from 15 people including her line manager, and has to do an interview.

ReputationRep:

If you locum through an agency, they become your responsible officer for revalidation. We're not due to revalidate until 2020, though, so presumably you'd be back in training by then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    If you locum through an agency, they become your responsible officer for revalidation. We're not due to revalidate until 2020, though, so presumably you'd be back in training by then?
    Oh really?! I'd missed that bit and assumed it was an annual thing! Perhaps I'm in the clear after all...

ReputationRep:
    Oh really?! I'd missed that bit and assumed it was an annual thing! Perhaps I'm in the clear after all...
    No, it's 5-yearly from the point of full registration. Had to sit through a mandatory teaching session on this earlier in the year. The 5 year bit was possibly the only fact I grasped.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.