Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm a student in student accommodation and i'm in need of some advice. I was wondering if this particular situation can be filled under false pretenses?

Around November me and 6 other people were looking at a house together, even though I've told them that i was doing a industry year (not found one by that point). After a tour of the house they took us back to sign the contracts, i was dead-set on not signing the housing contract until the staff came to me with a particular clause they have written. This clause is what changed my mind because it said that my contract will still be viable till the 1st of January and if i hadn't responded by then, they were going to assume that i was doing a industry year and rent my room out. They said 6 of us had to sign on that day, everyone signed except friend X who was going to sign after talking to her parents. She decided not to sign the contract because her parents deemed that it was too expensive so that leaves 6 of us in a 7 person house.Then a couple weeks go by and we found friend Y to sign her contract instead.

Fast forward to today and i am sent a letter with the breakdown of the direct debit payments that they want for the room and a DD form. So i ring them up as soon as i got it and they told me that friend Y signed for the room and that we no longer need to look for a 7th person. They state that the clause was "If a 7th person is not found by 1st of January, that we will take up the responsibility". After explaining all this to them they sent me a dropout form to sign so they can once again start letting out my room however, it said that if they cannot find anyone that i'm still liable for all the payments.I was wondering what my legal rights are if i signed this contract under false pretenses because they changed the whole reason behind the clause in the first place.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What is it you are complaining about? They made you sign , when you didnt have to?
    You need to talk to CAB and take along to contract so someone can read it and make sense of what you are saying. Its not clear imo.

It seems to be you feel unhappy they pressured you to signing on the day, when they later informed you they would find a 7th?
    Someone needs to see the contract to give you a proper answer.

It looks like they said to hold the house and confirm it then at least 6 people have to have signed, which they did and the LL reserbed ot for your group..
    You then found a 7th person so the house was fully occupied.
    You then find you are doing an industry year and no longer want your place.

You are unhappy because? You might be liable if they cnat find a replacement? You dont feel you had to look for a 7th person? Please clarify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What is it you are complaining about? They made you sign , when you didnt have to?
    You need to talk to CAB and take along to contract so someone can read it and make sense of what you are saying. Its not clear imo.

It seems to be you feel unhappy they pressured you to signing on the day, when they later informed you they would find a 7th?
    Someone needs to see the contract to give you a proper answer.

It looks like they said to hold the house and confirm it then at least 6 people have to have signed, which they did and the LL reserbed ot for your group..
    You then found a 7th person so the house was fully occupied.
    You then find you are doing an industry year and no longer want your place.

You are unhappy because? You might be liable if they cnat find a replacement? You dont feel you had to look for a 7th person? Please clarify.
    I was doing a industry year and was just looking for a place. I didn't want to sign the contract because i would be going on my year in industry that's when the company changed the contract and added the clause "If a 7th person is not found by January 1st then we will look for another person".

This clause was specifically added for me and under the assumption that they will find someone for me if i hadn't responded by january 1st.

Now they changed the meaning of the wording and are taking a stance of friend Y being the 7th person whereas on the day of signing i was the 7th person the contract was referring to.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Sorry am not thinking clearly at the moment. It would be better if you got someone to see the contract and they could then interview you to clarify and then give you an answer. See CAB would be my advice. It would make sense quickly then.

Might look later but heres some links
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...tizens-advice/
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...advice_centres

It may be you have a claim under the Misrepresentaion Act, but someone needs to assess it. This is where they told you one thing and that turned out to be incorrect, but persuaded you at the time to enter the contract. That would enable you to withdraw.
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...ation-act-1967

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.