Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've got accepted in some universities in UK such as Cardiff, Newcastle, Lancaster, Falmouth, Anglia Ruskin as well as Richmond University (the American uni in London). As a whole, I am quite confused since on the one hand I prefer to study in American university(mainly because of the opportunity to double-major/major+minor and the credits with British and American diploma), but on the other hand I am not sure if Richmond would be the best option which would justify the high cost of living and studying there. If someone has studied/is studying there or knows somebody else who does, please give me your opinion! I will be extremely thankful if I could contact to somebody, studying/has studied at Richmond. Also, if some of you know something about the other universities and can compare them, I will be really glad to read your thoughts! Thank you in advance! :-)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Personally I think you should forget about Richmond. The university does not have a good reputation in the UK/Europe. I don't really see the point of studying in the UK if you're going to attend an American institution, study alongside American students and professors and pay very high American fees. You can do joint honours (50/50 split) and major/minor (75/25 split) degrees at pretty much every British university - and many places now offer American-style Liberal Arts degrees too.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you a lot for your opinion!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by NSiDa)
    Hey, I've got accepted in some universities in UK such as Cardiff, Newcastle, Lancaster, Falmouth, Anglia Ruskin as well as Richmond University (the American uni in London). As a whole, I am quite confused since on the one hand I prefer to study in American university(mainly because of the opportunity to double-major/major+minor and the credits with British and American diploma), but on the other hand I am not sure if Richmond would be the best option which would justify the high cost of living and studying there. If someone has studied/is studying there or knows somebody else who does, please give me your opinion! I will be extremely thankful if I could contact to somebody, studying/has studied at Richmond. Also, if some of you know something about the other universities and can compare them, I will be really glad to read your thoughts! Thank you in advance! :-)
    It's entirely up to you. Have you been to some post-offer days? Personally I couldn't justify the cost of Richmond, and would be inclined to choose Newcastle or Cardiff because of their Russell Group membership, but at the end of the day, it's your choice as to where you want to spend the next three or so years of your life. Also, if you didn't apply to Richmond through UCAS, surely you can decide after results day if you get the grades for Richmond and your firm choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP it depends what you're looking for from your university education.

If it's employability, then unless you're looking to go into a niche area I don't know about, then you'll be screwed with Richmond. I've been at university for 8 years now, and was clued up for years before I started, and I have NEVER heard of the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    It's entirely up to you. Have you been to some post-offer days? Personally I couldn't justify the cost of Richmond, and would be inclined to choose Newcastle or Cardiff because of their Russell Group membership, but at the end of the day, it's your choice as to where you want to spend the next three or so years of your life. Also, if you didn't apply to Richmond through UCAS, surely you can decide after results day if you get the grades for Richmond and your firm choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have to decide as soon as possible, since the accommodation stuff is coming.. But I am scared not to make a mistake by choosing Richmond only because of my obssession with the American education and the opportunity to study the two major programmes I've liked from its degree list. The other thing is that I am about to graduate with high GPA, therefore I can have a scholarship of £3000 from Richmond, which reduces my student loan. Yet, I consider the others, as some of them, such as Cardiff and Newcastle, as you mentioned, have a really good reputation. :-(
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NSiDa)
    I have to decide as soon as possible, since the accommodation stuff is coming.. But I am scared not to make a mistake by choosing Richmond only because of my obssession with the American education and the opportunity to study the two major programmes I've liked from its degree list. The other thing is that I am about to graduate with high GPA, therefore I can have a scholarship of £3000 from Richmond, which reduces my student loan. Yet, I consider the others, as some of them, such as Cardiff and Newcastle, as you mentioned, have a really good reputation. :-(
    The scholarship wont reduce your student loan. Fee loans for Richmond only cover £6k of the £9k annual fees. You'd need to find £3k up front each year to fund the shortfall from your own pocket. http://www.richmond.ac.uk/admissions...-tuition-fees/

The scholarship just removes that extra cost for your first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The scholarship wont reduce your student loan. Fee loans for Richmond only cover £6k of the £9k annual fees. You'd need to find £3k up front each year to fund the shortfall from your own pocket. http://www.richmond.ac.uk/admissions...-tuition-fees/

The scholarship just removes that extra cost for your first year.
    First, thank you for your answers and given opinion! Yes, I am aware that I can have a fee loan of only £6k, however what I mean is that even in this case when I have a loan only of £6k, this £3k scholarship will help me by reducing the whole fee (that's what I was told) and if I have a GPA of at least 2.5 each year, I will have this scholarship each year of study. Thus, I figured out that I won't have to pay additional £3k and my loan will be £6k and not £9k. This is what I know at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    OP it depends what you're looking for from your university education.

If it's employability, then unless you're looking to go into a niche area I don't know about, then you'll be screwed with Richmond. I've been at university for 8 years now, and was clued up for years before I started, and I have NEVER heard of the place.
    I see..thank you for your opinion! So, which university would you recommend me?

ReputationRep:
    I've been accepted to Richmond as well and have actually worked out that it is, if anything, CHEAPER than the average British University.

Here's why (I've rounded up the numbers.):

Richmond tuition fee: £9000 + Richmond double room fee (Including meal plan, etc.): £7000 = £16000

SFE Tuition loan: £6000 + SFE Maintenance loan: £10000 = £16000

Most people have no idea about this University and don't really care. They hear 'private university' and think it's for rich snobs or something and that you have to pay up thousands of Pounds up front. This is complete rubbish, as someone who has actually bothered to look into this University, I tell you. I'm completely skint so I certainly wouldn't be able to go if you had to pay your own money up front. When you counter in the fact that Richmond has excellent services and facilities it seems far better value than an ordinary University. Plus, you're essentially getting two degrees what with accredation in America and Britain, which is very unique.

Just thought someone who is pro-Richmond and who has thoroughly researched this University due to being in the same position as you are should give their views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    I've been accepted to Richmond as well and have actually worked out that it is, if anything, CHEAPER than the average British University.

Here's why (I've rounded up the numbers.):

Richmond tuition fee: £9000 + Richmond double room fee (Including meal plan, etc.): £7000 = £16000

SFE Tuition loan: £6000 + SFE Maintenance loan: £10000 = £16000

Most people have no idea about this University and don't really care. They hear 'private university' and think it's for rich snobs or something and that you have to pay up thousands of Pounds up front. This is complete rubbish, as someone who has actually bothered to look into this University, I tell you. I'm completely skint so I certainly wouldn't be able to go if you had to pay your own money up front. When you counter in the fact that Richmond has excellent services and facilities it seems far better value than an ordinary University. Plus, you're essentially getting two degrees what with accredation in America and Britain, which is very unique.

Just thought someone who is pro-Richmond and who has thoroughly researched this University due to being in the same position as you are should give their views.
    Yep, I totally agree with you! Yet, I still consider some of the other options. Thank you for your opinion!!! Glad that you've chosen Richmond! I like it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.