Current or new syllabus for grade 8 piano Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm on a bit of a lesson hiatus as I prepare for some A-level exams in June.

I was rusty when I re-began last year but was making some progress but quit again around winter. I'm working on things in my own time when I have it which is rare. In particular, my sight reading is atrocious but I've been given some lovely advice and recommendations on easy repertoire to trawl through, on another forum that I use.

I see no progress but my finger work is okay and I can play stuff I already know reasonably well. Learning new pieces just requires arduous repetition till it's committed to memory as I can't do what others do and read through a piece slowly the first time while slowly building up the tempo and working on bits of interpretation.

I wish to take Grade 8 piano before I start University next year. I like the selection of pieces in the current syllabus (A2 [Bach: Prelude and Fugue in Cm]; B2 [Grieg: 1st movt from Sonata in E minor, Op. 7] or B3 [Schubert: 1st movt from Sonata in A minor, D. 537] and C3 [Chopin: Waltz in B minor]) but the last opportunity to take them is next Spring. I know the Prelude from the P+F and I've previously slowly played through the Waltz.

There is much to learn but I think it's reasonable to think I could have a good proportion of the notes of both learnt by the time I resume lessons in summer. I can also work on my aural at home after my exams.

However if I chose to wait till summer to work on Grade 8, I would be learning under the guidance of a teacher. I wouldn't be too unopposed to taking it next Autumn in the City of the University that I move to as long as I felt ready by summer 2017.
    What would probably be more sensible? I feel like there is some benefit in getting it out of the way but at the same time, if I didn't work on the current Grade 8 pieces, there is a lot of music I wish to learn in the interim. My place is full of piano books! I don't restrict myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)

I was rusty when I re-began last year but was making some progress but quit again around winter. I'm working on things in my own time when I have it which is rare. In particular, my sight reading is atrocious but I've been given some lovely advice and recommendations on easy repertoire to trawl through, on another forum that I use.

I see no progress but my finger work is okay and I can play stuff I already know reasonably well. Learning new pieces just requires arduous repetition till it's committed to memory as I can't do what others do and read through a piece slowly the first time while slowly building up the tempo and working on bits of interpretation.

I wish to take Grade 8 piano before I start University next year. I like the selection of pieces in the current syllabus (A2 [Bach: Prelude and Fugue in Cm]; B2 [Grieg: 1st movt from Sonata in E minor, Op. 7] or B3 [Schubert: 1st movt from Sonata in A minor, D. 537] and C3 [Chopin: Waltz in B minor]) but the last opportunity to take them is next Spring. I know the Prelude from the P+F and I've previously slowly played through the Waltz.

There is much to learn but I think it's reasonable to think I could have a good proportion of the notes of both learnt by the time I resume lessons in summer. I can also work on my aural at home after my exams.

However if I chose to wait till summer to work on Grade 8, I would be learning under the guidance of a teacher. I wouldn't be too unopposed to taking it next Autumn in the City of the University that I move to as long as I felt ready by summer 2017.
    What would probably be more sensible? I feel like there is some benefit in getting it out of the way but at the same time, if I didn't work on the current Grade 8 pieces, there is a lot of music I wish to learn in the interim. My place is full of piano books! I don't restrict myself.
    Hi,

It depends on how you feel about your A levels. If you feel like you have time to practise the piano each day (you don't have to play a lot, even 20 minutes each morning helps), I would probably start learning the current pieces in the syllabus. If you don't, I would try to start after your exams. For me,9(?) months is more than enough time to prepare 3 grade 8 pieces.

In any case, if you feel like you won't be able to play them until after Spring 2017, still start to learn them. The more you play, the easier the next piece will get and your sight reading will improve, it won't be a waste of time!

Omni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)

i think just work hard at it and get things over with because tbh it just becomes a burden on you, atm i'm trying to do grade 8 aswell and i've really left this dragging on for about a year now so like you said spring next year is the last time i can enter myself for this exam.

the earlier you get it done the better i think.

I think A2 is quite difficult xD, i like the sound of it but i think it's quite hard to do so i chose A3 instead.
    you chose B2 and i chose B1 the longer ones out of the lot X_X
    same you i chose C3 i quite like it i think most people who're doing grade 8 for these set pieces chose C3

you can do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNPBMfojso&list=PLdWqPc jnGSDR1SkBqMzkNFrQiu4iHyaUP&inde x=5<--- might've helped when you were choosing your pieces

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.