Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Gap year age difference issues watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm trying to decide whether or not to take a gap year. I'm really keen to take a year off before uni and I have lots of plans for it, so I know if I did take a year year it'd be worthwhile. I'm just worried about being way older than everyone else when I do end up at uni, I'm already old for my year so I'd be a 20 year old first year and I'm worried I wouldn't connect with the other 18 year old first years. I normally find it difficult to get to know people younger than me because of the difference in maturity levels. Do you think this matters, or does everyone end up being pretty much as mature as everyone else? Has anyone done anything similar who can offer words of advice? Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Annie99)
    Hey, I'm trying to decide whether or not to take a gap year. I'm really keen to take a year off before uni and I have lots of plans for it, so I know if I did take a year year it'd be worthwhile. I'm just worried about being way older than everyone else when I do end up at uni, I'm already old for my year so I'd be a 20 year old first year and I'm worried I wouldn't connect with the other 18 year old first years. I normally find it difficult to get to know people younger than me because of the difference in maturity levels. Do you think this matters, or does everyone end up being pretty much as mature as everyone else? Has anyone done anything similar who can offer words of advice? Thanks!
    I dont think it matters, many people end up taking gap years and a year or two difference wont really be noticeable

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year at the moment, although I'm not worried. 1-2 years is nothing, especially as there will be others who took gap years too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    there's plenty of people starting at 19, 20 and 21... I don't think it will make a huge difference, and you can make friends with people in other years as well!

ReputationRep:
    I guarantee you no one will care.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, that's really reassured me!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody will even notice the difference. I went back to college at 22 and there were people there in their 30's/40's - you couple barely tell there was an age gap with most and everybody got on anyway

ReputationRep:
    When you go to uni there will be mature students who will be older than you and no one will be able to tell unless you tell someone your age

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.