Turn on thread page Beta

Google's banned interview questions- what would you say? watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    http://www.iflscience.com/technology...can-you-answer

I saw this this morning and weirdly I think I'd find a lot of those questions easier to answer than standard interview ones! I'd imagine they'd be quite offputting if you'd just walked into your first job interview though... What would you say?

ReputationRep:
    Manhole covers are round? I have two counterexamples.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by furryface12)
    http://www.iflscience.com/technology...can-you-answer

I saw this this morning and weirdly I think I'd find a lot of those questions easier to answer than standard interview ones! I'd imagine they'd be quite offputting if you'd just walked into your first job interview though... What would you say?
    I think I'd cry and leave… these are so difficult!

ReputationRep:
    wtf is a manhole

if i was asked such stupid questions i probably wouldnt take it seriously and give back stupid responses. stupid questions get stupid answers.

considering the jobs i apply for as well (part-time retail) i'd walk out, £6-7 is not worth that kind of ridiculous interview process.

ReputationRep:
    My answer for all these questions would be: can I google it?
    Because these questions highlight the need and importance of Google!
    I hope they accept that or I am screwed!

ReputationRep:
    Circle manholes take up less area and still allow passage of people and therefore are lighter and easier to move? Whats complicated about that.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by FabulouslyAwks)
    omg THIS IS SO CLEVER!

ReputationRep:
    Why would these questions tell you anything of value? They are all just trivial amusements with no practical purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Why would these questions tell you anything of value? They are all just trivial amusements with no practical purpose.
    It shows outside the box thinking and novel ways to solve problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabulouslyAwks)
    You really are fabulous :lol:

I really want to know the answers to these questions though :unimpressed:

Wish I hadn't read the article..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    Circle manholes take up less area and still allow passage of people and therefore are lighter and easier to move? Whats complicated about that.
    Wrong answer.

They are round as a round cover cannot fall into its own hole and cause injury or damage whereas a rectangular cover can.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I think I'd cry and leave… these are so difficult!
    Tbf that'd be me normally- these I can apply some logic too, if they asked me my greatest achievement or something I'd be like uhhhh... :afraid:

I'd guess to see how people respond to a something unexpected and go about solving problems, and something they've probably never thought about before? Similar to the Oxbridge ones :dontknow:

Oddly enough that's the one I'd have been most stuck on! Seems so simple now you say it good bloke's answer probably better though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kashmir Skirt)
    It shows outside the box thinking and novel ways to solve problems.
    Considering most decisions are not made within a short interview it seems nothing more than a quick assessment of base cognitive skill which would change depending on one's mood and just the time of day. It tells you very little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Oddly enough that's the one I'd have been most stuck on! Seems so simple now you say it :I
    But the answer he gave was incorrect. See my post above.

ReputationRep:
    I think the one about manhole covers is of vital importance, with practical application in everyday life.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking it was because if you had a square manhole cover, placed it on its side and turned it 45 degrees it would fall through the hole, whereas a circle would never fall through because it's diameter is always the same regardless of its position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    omg THIS IS SO CLEVER!
    Yo I am a genius! Jk, thanks

(Original post by Nettled)
    You really are fabulous :lol:

I really want to know the answers to these questions though :unimpressed:

Wish I hadn't read the article..
    Aw thanks , same I really want to know as well
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    But the answer he gave was incorrect. See my post above.
    Yeah I edited it once I saw your answer, that makes a lot of sense actually.

Another one that got me (I feel like in missing the point of this somewhere!)- what is the significance of 'dead beef?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got the hotel one, but that's only because I played a game of Monopoly last night and the 3 words 'hotel', 'fortune' and 'car' appearing in the same sentence allowed me to connect the dots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW22)
    I was thinking it was because if you had a square manhole cover, placed it on its side and turned it 45 degrees it would fall through the hole, whereas a circle would never fall through because it's diameter is always the same regardless of its position
    I dont really think there is a solid answer but im sure this is a good enough reason nice.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.