Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello lovely internet people, can someone explain how you solve this question?

Tanks!
    Name:  q11.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  46.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Cat_Lady)

Tanks!
    i am confuse i don't quite understand the expand the y-coordinate bit :/ doesn't quite make sense to me..
    Kvothe the arcane ZackenStudent403

ReputationRep:

Tanks!
    You know that f(x) = 3x^2 + 1 so that f(x + \delta x) = 3(x + \delta x)^2 + 1. (i.e: wherever you see x, replace it with x + \delta x). Expand the square and write out all the terms.

ReputationRep:
    Coordinate of y when x = x is 3x2+1

The question is asking you to replace x here with x+dx and expand to get this new y coordinate (y+dy) in terms of x and dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You know that f(x) = 3x^2 + 1 so that f(x + \delta x) = 3(x + \delta x)^2 + 1. (i.e: wherever you see x, replace it with x + \delta x). Expand the square and write out all the terms.
    9.5/14

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    i am confuse i don't quite understand the expand the y-coordinate bit :/ doesn't quite make sense to me..
    Kvothe the arcane ZackenStudent403
    Please do not tag so many people at the same time.

As you can see 3 separate people have gone through the effort of answering the same question and that is unnecessary time wasted.

EDIT: KtA has now deleted his answer having seen 2 other people answer the question, which just wastes his time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Please do not tag so many people at the same time.

As you can see 3 separate people have gone through the effort of answering the same question and that is unnecessary time wasted.

EDIT: KtA has now deleted his answer having seen 2 other people answer the question, which just wastes his time.
    sorry :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    How do you do the next part?

ReputationRep:
    How do you do the next part?
    As they said... plug this into the formula given for \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    sorry :ashamed:
    That's alright. Didn't mean it harshly if it sounded that way

ReputationRep:
    Nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.