The Student Room Group

Further maths modules

What are the best modules to take if i want to do physics at a university such as Oxford or Cambridge? I really dont know because I've heard that some modules are seen as a joke and aren't taken seriously and make your application less advantaged. I also do know that further maths is not needed for physics at university but it is still something that would give me an advantage and it also sounds fun :P.
Reply 1
Definitely do M1 and M2 for physics at the least, for the rest of your modules, just choose whatever interests you, whether it's more mechanics modules, statistics or decision, I'm not sure whether it matters too much beyond that, but I'm not certain :smile:

Maybe email the admissions teams and ask which modules will be best for you to take?
Reply 2
Original post by Bernie2016
What are the best modules to take if i want to do physics at a university such as Oxford or Cambridge? I really dont know because I've heard that some modules are seen as a joke and aren't taken seriously and make your application less advantaged. I also do know that further maths is not needed for physics at university but it is still something that would give me an advantage and it also sounds fun :P.

Further pure and mechanics are the best for physics, and in general really. Statistics 1/2 is enough for pretty well anything, and decision is the least relevant.

Definately the FP modules and the Mechanics modules are the most relevant to Physics. You have to take FP1 in year one anyway, so for the other two modules you could take M1 and M2 to make an AS Level in Further Maths.

Our school only offered M2 for A2 Further Maths, so this year I am doing AS Further Maths with FP1, D1 and D2 :smile:

I wouldn't really worry too much, they are well aware that you won't necessarily have a choice of modules but as far as the most useful modules go the further pure modules and the mechanics modules will help the most. Don't worry if your school want you to take d1, if you're taking 6 modules they aren't really going to mind too much especially since d1 is a module a lot of schools make people take

Quick Reply

Latest