Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In a relationship but I feel alone right now Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my girlfriend for a few months, she lives kinda far away but I still get to see her every couple of weeks at least, even if it costs all my money and free time.
    She teases a lot, she says she's the boss and that I'm unattractive (jokingly, for the most part), and though she occasionally says something nice (that I'm attractive to her for example), I usually have to work really hard to hear it, or it's a sort of backhanded compliment (I'm only attractive to her). I know I can be quite sensitive, and so it's hard for me to tell if I'm justified in being upset by it all, but when I try to talk to her, I always seem to get her when she's in a bad mood, it usually ends with her getting mad and starting an argument, and both of us in tears. She has a lot going on without me making things worse for her with all this, I've tried talking to her again today but to no avail, other than her I have no one I can talk to, I feel so alone. To her credit we have had some good conversations on it all, but it always seems to hit me when she's in a foul mood, so they are a rarity.

Are you at uni? Working?

Why don't you move?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Are you at uni? Working?

Why don't you move?
    Last year of sixth form, it's just hard to get to her

i know this is probably going way too far but a few years ago i was in an abusive relationship and one of the early signs was the backhanded compliments. He would try and make me feel lucky to have him because he was the only person who would ever find me attractive and stuff like that. I'm in no way saying that you're in a abusive relationship but you need to look out for the signs and things like that can lead to really manipulative behaviour. If you're not happy I wouldn't stay in the relationship if i were you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i know this is probably going way too far but a few years ago i was in an abusive relationship and one of the early signs was the backhanded compliments. He would try and make me feel lucky to have him because he was the only person who would ever find me attractive and stuff like that. I'm in no way saying that you're in a abusive relationship but you need to look out for the signs and things like that can lead to really manipulative behaviour. If you're not happy I wouldn't stay in the relationship if i were you
    I'm sorry to hear about that, I don't think it's quite that far thankfully, I mean I've been with someone who's been manipulative and cheated before, this feels different. I think I'm just being sensitive, but it's hard to tell how much is me being overly sensitive and how much is justified.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe to her it's just a bit of banter or even her weird way of flirting? I do think you need to bring it up with her again because it can't carry on if it's upsetting you. If she tries to make out it's your problem being so sensitive then maybe she's not the right girl for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a bit of a ***** tbh

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as if she's insecure, and so is trying to make you feel insecure and knock down your confidence so you feel as if you can't do better and so you stay with her (this is probably subconscious and she isn't aware that she's doing it).

Talk to her either in person or over FaceTime/ Skype about how this makes you feel and go from there. If it continues then she's probably not the one for you, as a partner shouldn't make you feel alone, they should make you feel fulfilled and happy. They should boost your confidence, not knock it down.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to you, I was on the phone to my girl and I felt like she didn't like me then we had a serious convo about how we felt. We were talking until the sun came out but we both like eachother so it's hunky dory. You need to ask her how she feels about u, make it a serious convo

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.