Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I couple of years ago I became friends with someone who I was mutual friends with aged 8. We became best friends, she was fun to be around, she wasn't afraid to be outspoken. I felt so comfortable with her I felt I could be myself, because of this I became distant from my other best friend and me and this girl were seen as inseparable. I was ignorant, I didn't realise how controlling she was, or how arrogant and selfish she was. At school I became someone else she lead me on all these dramas. Nobody at school really liked her they thought she was weird and annoying, because of this people no longer knew what to think of me, It was like she was dragging me away from everything, alienating me. It's only over the last year that I noticed she was becoming uncomfortably obsessive with me, she wanted every single piece of me and wouldn't let her go.

I felt she was messing with my mind put all these different concepts into my head, I felt so psychologically messed up. I was miserable for a long time, I had every lesson with her and I felt I spent a lot of time crying. School became incredibly tiring. I ended up telling my other best friend about it and we became close again and I was able to push the other girl away a bit. The problem is she's incredibly manipulating and all of my friends are almost scared of her and think she's wonderful, including the best friend I told. So me and my other best friend being anti her kind of went out of the window.

It's a lot better than it was- I ignore her, and don't tolerate when she constantly tries to belittle me. The thing is I've got my GCSE's coming up and I just want to focus on those but my hatred for her is always in the back of mind. I have thought of telling her exactly what I think of her but she would make it into a big drama and make me the bad one- all my friends would feel sorry for her and it would be likely I would be left friendless. So does anyone have any ideas of how I can just get rid her and get her out of my head??

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do is just lay everything on the table

ReputationRep:
    Deciding key speak to someone about how you're feeling if you feel it's affecting your mental health, I would just say you should maybe remain civil but try it keep as distant as possible and if she challenges it or makes negative comments, laugh it off. Also try to make new friends and expand your circle so you haven't people to hang out with and rely on
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Your GCSE's are more important. Youll have to revise anyway so have less contact with her. I have a feeling she wouldnt listen anyway, just slowly drop her and as above strengthen your ties with a few other friends. If shes as manipulative as she says then she might cuase trouble so be prepared for that.

Btw you wont see her again when you go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just be friends with everyone? Why do you feel the need for a best friend?

This is so weird to me.

ReputationRep:
    Just gradually lose interest. It happens all the time. She will find someone else to cling to and in a few months this will be an old story.

Nobody likes 2 faced people just tell her and if she does create a scene who cares? you have like 6-7 weeks before your exams. but get close to the people that you think would turn on you so you wont remain friendless. BIGGEST thing is you have very little time left of school get it off your chest so she knows dont think about what other people think everyone had opinions

ReputationRep:
    Gradually make new friends and drift away from her if you don't want to lay everything on the table, it won't happen overnight but since when does anything

(Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Why don't you just be friends with everyone? Why do you feel the need for a best friend?

This is so weird to me.
    I don't think its a 'need' for a best friend, I think that's just the way it became or s I thought but then obviously things changed. And also I think its easier said than done to be friends with everyone!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.