Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys does anyone know anywhere I can do some volunteering to help me get into uni to study a bsc in Mental health nursing? Also I have like 20 volunteering things on my cv do you think this is to much? As it takes up a lot of room on my cv... Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i think you're set m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucasjackson)
    Hi guys does anyone know anywhere I can do some volunteering to help me get into uni to study a bsc in Mental health nursing? Also I have like 20 volunteering things on my cv do you think this is to much? As it takes up a lot of room on my cv... Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Volunteering isn't like a guaranteed get in to nursing card.
    You could have loads and it still wouldn't matter if you couldn't apply it.
    Besides, when you apply they don't look at your cv. And I doubt you'll be able to fit it all in on your application and personal statement.
    Look for how these benefit you and your experience. Not so they look good on your cv.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who is looking for some hands on voluntary experience within the field of mental health have you thought about volunteering abroad?
    I spent 3 months volunteering in Sri Lanka with SL volunteers. I spent my days volunteering within a psychiatric facility as well as teaching individuals with special needs and also teaching English. It was great to spend some time in such a beautiful country and while the placement was definitely challenging I loved my time there and would definitely recommend it!
    Happy to answer any questions about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    Volunteering isn't like a guaranteed get in to nursing card.
    You could have loads and it still wouldn't matter if you couldn't apply it.
    Besides, when you apply they don't look at your cv. And I doubt you'll be able to fit it all in on your application and personal statement.
    Look for how these benefit you and your experience. Not so they look good on your cv.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I know that but it would surely help and it would give me experience and something to talk about during interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliemo27)
    For anyone who is looking for some hands on voluntary experience within the field of mental health have you thought about volunteering abroad?
    I spent 3 months volunteering in Sri Lanka with SL volunteers. I spent my days volunteering within a psychiatric facility as well as teaching individuals with special needs and also teaching English. It was great to spend some time in such a beautiful country and while the placement was definitely challenging I loved my time there and would definitely recommend it!
    Happy to answer any questions about it
    Hey i'm currently studying my level 3 Health and Social care so i'm not sure I would be able to fit that in aha, thank you for the suggestion though! My first day at St Johns Ambulance is tomorrow I think that will give me some more experience and It will give me experience in a medical environment. Right now i'm just looking for some things to give me experience whilst studying which will also bring up things to talk about during interviews etc. What did you study if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm currently studying my level 3 Health and Social care so i'm not sure I would be able to fit that in aha, thank you for the suggestion though! My first day at St Johns Ambulance is tomorrow I think that will give me some more experience and It will give me experience in a medical environment. Right now i'm just looking for some things to give me experience whilst studying which will also bring up things to talk about during interviews etc. What did you study if you don't mind me asking?
    Yeah its definitely not something you can do part-time but I think that working for St.Johns Ambulance sounds really relevant to working in the mental heath sector. I did a Psychology BSc and a masters as well so did my volunteering in my year out of education in between the two when I had a bit more time to get as much experience as possible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make sure you only include things on your CV that are the most relevant to mental health. If you already have 20 then you probably have sufficient volunteering, but could potentially be questioned as to why you have so many and why you haven't stayed with one or two organisations. It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what area you are in and what experiences you have already had, but If you are looking for further opportunities, I would recommend looking for something that you could do in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Make sure you only include things on your CV that are the most relevant to mental health. If you already have 20 then you probably have sufficient volunteering, but could potentially be questioned as to why you have so many and why you haven't stayed with one or two organisations. It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what area you are in and what experiences you have already had, but If you are looking for further opportunities, I would recommend looking for something that you could do in the long term.
    Yeah most things have been work placements and short term things but I have now started volunteering for mind (mental health charity) to help raise awareness of mental health and reduce the stigma - this includes travelling throughout Europe to deliver presentations about my mental health experiences to schools, government boards etc. Also started St. John's ambulance cadets which would give me experience in a medical field which would be useful if I were to become a mental health nurse or study the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.