Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    a compound contains C 62.08%, H 10.34% and O 27.58% by mass. find its emperical formula given that its relative molecular mass is 58

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsastudentyo)
    a compound contains C 62.08%, H 10.34% and O 27.58% by mass. find its emperical formula given that its relative molecular mass is 58
    You should post a question like this in chemistry section in future.

62.08/12 : 10.34/1 : 27.58/16

5.17 : 10.34 : 1.72

3 : 6 : 1

Empirical formula = C3H6O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    You should post a question like this in chemistry section in future.

62.08/12 : 10.34/1 : 27.58/16

5.17 : 10.34 : 1.72

3 : 6 : 1

Empirical formula = C3H6O
    thanks i already got that answer but i thought it was wrong becauce i thought u were to divide somwthing with the molecular mass '58' are you not meant to do anytging with that ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsastudentyo)
    thanks i already got that answer but i thought it was wrong becauce i thought u were to divide somwthing with the molecular mass '58' are you not meant to do anytging with that ?
    No. You would only need that to confirm a molecular formula.

ReputationRep:
    I always did these with a formula i workedout on the toilet, take the molecular mass, multiply it by the percentage/100, then divide by the element with that percentage.

Eg. Carbon; (58 x 0.6208)/12 = 3

Repeat for other elements

This helps because it gives you the exact number of atoms of each element in the compound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spudgunhimself)
    I always did these with a formula i workedout on the toilet, take the molecular mass, multiply it by the percentage/100, then divide by the element with that percentage.

Eg. Carbon; (58 x 0.6208)/12 = 3

Repeat for other elements

This helps because it gives you the exact number of atoms of each element in the compound
    But that assumes you know the molecular mass which is not always the case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.