The Student Room Group

Constant acceleration Q

'At time t=0, a body is projected from an origin O with an initial velocity of 10ms-1. The body moves along a straight line with a constant acceleration of -2ms-2.
A) Find the displacement of the body from O when t equals 7 seconds
B) how far from O does the body come to instantaneous rest and what is the value of t then?
C) find the distance travelled by the body during the time interval t=0 to t=7 seconds.

I've solved parts A and B and gotten 21m for A and 25m and 5 seconds for B, but I don't know how to get C. Can someone explain how to get this and also explain how it's different from part A?
Original post by Carokelly123
'At time t=0, a body is projected from an origin O with an initial velocity of 10ms-1. The body moves along a straight line with a constant acceleration of -2ms-2.
B) how far from O does the body come to instantaneous rest and what is the value of t then?
C) find the distance travelled by the body during the time interval t=0 to t=7 seconds.

I've solved parts A and B and gotten 21m for A and 25m and 5 seconds for B, but I don't know how to get C. Can someone explain how to get this and also explain how it's different from part A?

What's the difference between displacement and distance travelled? (Think about part b, your answer to it and how it all ties in).

A says displacement C says distance
So it travelled 25m at t=5, then it must have went back 4m to 21m at t=7, making the answer 29m?
So it travelled 25m at t=5, then it must have went back 4m to 21m at t=7, making the answer 29m?

sounds about right

Quick Reply

Latest