Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Cambridge is underrated imo. People always compare it to places like Oxford and Imperial, which is just an insult tbh.
    Congrats on your offer from Cam but I'd be a little modest...

ReputationRep:
    Why is UCL so overated / stufents dont enjoy it ?

I have had offers from UCL Southampton UEA and royal hollaway, was going to put ucl as firm for hisotry but now unsure

ReputationRep:
    hahahahaha thats very true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdkmwd)
    No one rates them to begin with mate.
    i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oliver_94)
    I wish I quit while I had the chance, the worst university ever I could think of. I recommend changing before it's too late
    I applied to KCL to do pharmacy, instant rejection. LOL. RGU (in aberdeen) rejected my application for doing HND Chemistry and Biology, and a degree in pharmacy, I ended up getting a BSc in chemistry from said place (they shut down my course just as I was about to go to my honours year too! )

ReputationRep:
    Why is UCL overrated? I've applied and most probably gonna firm... •.•

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Cambridge seems massively overhyped to me, people seem to think going to cambridge will automatically land you a 100k a week job upon graduation
    but it does..................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allaboutGTAV)
    lel no

ReputationRep:
    Well if all you have is a Cambridge degree to your name and no form of experience or anything worthwhile in your CV, it's literally just a peice of paper
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah, the unemployed Cam grads in my LinkedIn network are definitely pulling in £100k

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Cambridge seems massively overhyped to me, people seem to think going to cambridge will automatically land you a 100k a week job upon graduation

£100k a week?

What are they, footballers?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    They all start out earning well over £2-3m a year? ok then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabelle_98)
    Why is UCL so overated / stufents dont enjoy it ?

I have had offers from UCL Southampton UEA and royal hollaway, was going to put ucl as firm for hisotry but now unsure
    It's a good uni, just overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yeah, the unemployed Cam grads in my LinkedIn network are definitely pulling in £100k

Posted from TSR Mobile
    100k...a week? lol no. 100k per annum is definitely doable. Not a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    It seems to be glamorous but lacking in substance.

Heard quite a lot. It is undoubtedly good but clearly doesn't deserve to be seen as one of the UK's best.

This might interest you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1176159

that's an interesting perspective although it is from 2010 so things could have changed, and it seems like whoever wrote it didn't research properly into what st andrews is like. thanks for sharing anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    From my discussions with a friend who's currently studying at KCL:
    - Higher costs of living, to which most students haven't really gotten used to at start and really won't be too happy about
    - It feels as if you're commuting to uni everyday, with most 2nd/3rd years (with a few exceptions) easily spending 40 mins or more a day getting to and from the campus. When coupled with how long it takes to get around in general, the routine can get tiring really quickly.
    - High proportion of foreign students, who may (note: massive overgeneralisation) be daunted by living alone, in a foreign country, for the first time, and as such not feel completely at ease until their 2nd/3rd year.
    - Fairly cramped uni facilities (this applies more to UCL and particularly LSE, apparently)
    - Lack of a collegiate system (most of your social life will revolve around the halls you live in, whose social life varies considerably)

From some of the posts I've seen, it may also have to do with staff being more research-oriented than, say, Durham, meaning that they devote fewer contact hours and effort addressing your concerns (this issue is, however, definitely not unique to London).

These are just some random thoughts, please feel free to pick up on any of them
    Repped ty

Where do 2nd/3rd years tend to live? In houses like students at non Londno unis?

If you had more money and stayed in non Uni pricy halls like the internationals sometimes do would you not make friends? Potential mature student here..

Why are UoL staff more London oriented (noob here )
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Because you're living in London. I mean obviously a lot of it has to do with the university, but naturally that type of rating will be heavily influenced by external factors.
    is it mainly cost of living in London?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which is best for maths between uea, sussex and kent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsChantelle)
    Repped ty

Where do 2nd/3rd years tend to live? In houses like students at non Londno unis?

If you had more money and stayed in non Uni pricy halls like the internationals sometimes do would you not make friends? Potential mature student here..

Why are UoL staff more London oriented (noob here )

is it mainly cost of living in London?
    To be fair, I'm only starting next year (hopefully, if I can meet my offer), so I'm effectively reporting what others have told me when we talked about uni life in London.
    - Most of them live in private rented accommodation (usually studios and flats, even though "proper" detached houses that are not owned by the uni are obviously available). The lady at the UCL Open Day boasted that most of her 2nd/3rd years were living within 20-25 mins of campus, which is fairly impressive for London's standards, even though being able to afford a Zone 1/2 flat means having to share with at least another person (unless you're loaded)
    - Are you referring to intercollegiate halls? If so, I really don't know, I've only ever lived in one for about 3 weeks for work experience last summer
    - (Did you mean research-oriented?) I don't know, I guess it's part of the culture of these universities. I've heard that Imperial used to (and still) offers incentives for its staff to spend for time putting forward research proposals and getting funds from the government and the European Council for research, meaning that the teaching side of things was neglected. It may be professional practices such as these that encourage people to focus more on research...
    - The cost of living in London is high, but the degree to which it affects you depends on familial income and the degree of support you receive from grants/bursaries/your parents :P (I'm in a fairly decent position, as my parents offered to pay half of my accommodation costs - about £4k a year - but others may not be)

ReputationRep:
    I think St Andrews is overrated because of William and Kate, but it's also underrated because people never really consider it because it isn't a Russell Group and it's probably one of the smallest and remote places to go to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Congrats on your offer from Cam but I'd be a little modest...
    *Sighs*
    1) Never implied I had an offer
    2) Was obviously sarcasm, seeing how stuck up it sounded. How could I have even made it more sarcastic?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.