Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The most Overrated and Underrated Universities in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    It's axiomatic.
    Really? I thought Warwick was very well reputed for law. Well it is so in my country. It's strange how every country has a different assessment of the rankings and universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussellG)
    In addition to your linked article, From my personal impression, I found students from UK top schools tend to be "deep thinkers" whereas students from equivalent US top schools have more tendency to be "adaptable quick learners". It's clearly a result of how universities provide their education. And which is more beneficial for human civilisation? Too hard to answer. But I'm naturally more like a thinker rather than a quick learner. And I'm bad at studying too many subjects.at once. As a result, I feel comfortable with the UK HE system.
    Ah thanks for bringing this up, and also having this discussion with me! I rather enjoyed it There most definitely are pros and cons to everything. Lol I most certainly do not think a European University would suit me, but I agree with you, and I also respect the system. Also of course, a system is always capable of improving whilst staying to its true roots
    I see many Americans applaud free education in Germany--and its wonderful I agree, but they so often are caught up with the 'glamour' of Europe that they forget the university systems can be completely different- and perhaps, not right for them.

I also agree with you @ the deep/quick thinking remark.
    I also think Oxbridge students are just as capable of being quick learners just like HYPSM students are with becoming deep thinkers. Even if an Oxbridge/HYPSM student emerges being able to think one way better than another way, I am more than sure these top students have the capability to adapt and do just as well in an environment that requires Quick learning/Deep thinking.

I think I have always been a deep learner too! But I think even if I attend a USA school, it won't put me at a disadvantage in any way, and I will learn how to become both an even deeper learner and acquire quick learning skills. Same goes if I were to stay here and was a quick learner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frognation22)
    x
    You are welcome. I also enjoyed it. Of course I just emphasised the difference. can be easily other way around. You can become any if you want to be so.

P.S. Btw I checked the US NEWS rankings again, and was surprised UCSB is ranked 37th! That's why it was mentioned lol. I think UCSB's not seen as one of top 40. Even not top 10 public schools. one of many upper intermediate schools somewhere around top 70-100. This one looks in strange order... (or maybe I'm just too ignorant of new trends. )

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is a let down because of the city it is situated in (Coventry) The uni itself is a good organization but the surrounding city and area is low quality, Its the most strangely placed university in england I would think, its like being on a island

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

P.S. Btw I checked the US NEWS rankings again, and was surprised UCSB is ranked 37th! That's why it was mentioned lol. I think UCSB's not seen as one of top 40. Even not top 10 public schools. one of many upper intermediate schools somewhere around top 70-100. This one looks in strange order... (or maybe I'm just too ignorant of new trends. )
    Yeah that's why I did mention it because I guess it is considered a better large state school :P It might have caused a bit of confusion at first xd However, I am very surprised it is ranked higher than University of Texas (Austin) and University of Washington. I most certainly however would not place it at the level of University of Arizona and the like though. Apparently many Americans say its often even 'underrated' because of its party culture. Not quite sure..O_o US News Ranks wise--I know its been in the top 30-40 for many years and maintained its position

hm I think here its most certainly not seen as a terrific school, but in the USA, still seen by employers as one of the better state schools a student could attend. It actually seems to be around the level of Penn State and Illinois in my opinion.
    Princepieman do you know much about it? I feel you would be more knowledgable on state schools than I would

I also always thought UCSB was a big 10 school..and thought Big 10 meant biggest/most prominent state schools, but I guess I interpreted wrong and apparently it is an athletic conference with mainly midwest-public schools making it up (except for Northwestern)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah that's why I did mention it because I guess it is considered a better large state school :P It might have caused a bit of confusion at first xd However, I am very surprised it is ranked higher than University of Texas (Austin) and University of Washington. I most certainly however would not place it at the level of University of Arizona and the like though. Apparently many Americans say its often even 'underrated' because of its party culture. Not quite sure..O_o US News Ranks wise--I know its been in the top 30-40 for many years and maintained its position

hm I think here its most certainly not seen as a terrific school, but in the USA, still seen by employers as one of the better state schools a student could attend. It actually seems to be around the level of Penn State and Illinois in my opinion.
    Princepieman do you know much about it? I feel you would be more knowledgable on state schools than I would

I also always thought UCSB was a big 10 school..and thought Big 10 meant biggest/most prominent state schools, but I guess I interpreted wrong and apparently it is an athletic conference with mainly midwest-public schools making it up (except for Northwestern)
    UCSB is underrated to be honest. The partying stereotype it carries miscategorises it as more of a vacation than an institute of learning; the uni actually has quite a strong presence in Engineering/CS and the like. Though, U'm so sure about the humanities.

Certainly wouldn't rank it above UT-Austin or UWash. I'd peg it more around the Penn State, Boston U, UIUC etc territory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    UCSB is underrated to be honest. The partying stereotype it carries miscategorises it as more of a vacation than an institute of learning; the uni actually has quite a strong presence in Engineering/CS and the like. Though, U'm so sure about the humanities.

Certainly wouldn't rank it above UT-Austin or UWash. I'd peg it more around the Penn State, Boston U, UIUC etc territory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yes I agree with you. the stereotype most certainly does leave a bad taste in many people's mouths. Never knew UCSB was so strong in Engineering however--I know UIUC is great for engineering, but in other fields...its mediocre-ish.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Thank you for both of your reply. Maybe I'm just a bit biased against some UC campuses. I knew UCs have great research environments, some of the best graduate schools in the US. But at undergraduate level, I'm not sure about their quality. I saw students who couldn't get any offers from any ordinary universities, then they entered community colleges, transferred to UCs, and graduated there. Also I saw UC graduates, and aside from UCB and UCLA, academically they were not outstanding compared to other top state university graduates (like UMich, UVA, W&M, Gatech etc). So I could have downgraded UCs a bit because of my personal experiences. But it can be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for both of your reply. Maybe I'm just a bit biased against some UC campuses. I knew UCs have great research environments, some of the best graduate schools in the US. But at undergraduate level, I'm not sure about their quality. I saw students who couldn't get any offers from any ordinary universities, then they entered community colleges, transferred to UCs, and graduated there. Also I saw UC graduates, and aside from UCB and UCLA, academically they were not outstanding compared to other top state university graduates (like UMich, UVA, W&M, Gatech etc). So I could have downgraded UCs a bit because of my personal experiences. But it can be wrong.
    I see where you were coming from I agree with you, besides UCB and UCLA, UC students are certainly not quite as outstanding (generally) compared to ones at Umich etc Most public universities tend to have higher transfer acceptance rates so I also see why you would think the undergraduate quality might be not so great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Exeter is RG.
    what does RG stand for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anousha_f)
    what does RG stand for?
    Research Gang

ReputationRep:
    what does RG stand for?
    Raging gorilla.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Raging gorilla.
    haha could i get an actual answer?

ReputationRep:
    haha could i get an actual answer?
    Russell Group - basically a group of universities focusing on research (and which some think related to unprecedented prestige and whatnot, which is not always the case).

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Oxford.
    Underrated: Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Russell Group - basically a group of universities focusing on research (and which some think related to unprecedented prestige and whatnot, which is not always the case).
    oh ok thanks i thought it meant 'really good' or something like that- I actually know about russell group unis but it didn't occur to me that that's what it meant- so thanks!

I tend to find my appreciation of southampton and loughborough is quite contentious and therefore we would say I think they're underrated.

ReputationRep:
    over - KCL. Cardiff
    Under - Surrey, Glasglow
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Overrated: Durham (although I'll probably end up at Durham)
    Underrated: York

ReputationRep:
    Im at UCL and i can say first handedly... its shite!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.