Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The most Overrated and Underrated Universities in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman999)
    Im at UCL and i can say first handedly... its shite!
    GMAN! We missed you! How are your GCSEs going?

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: The ones I didn't apply to
    Underrated: UCL, St Andrews, Nottingham, Warwick and Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    GMAN! We missed you! How are your GCSEs going?
    Think you got the wrong person lol.. im not doing gcse haha. I only joined this week.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, a lot of people are saying unis like Bath are underrated (Rightly so) however they also mention that it's popular for people who did not get into a RG uni, is this true though? I find Bath to be much more attractive than some RG unis, is the title of RG really that important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman999)
    Think you got the wrong person lol.. im not doing gcse haha. I only joined this week.
    So you're not the good old TSR troll who had a propensity to put three numbers after his name? Hm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakisaka)
    Just curious, a lot of people are saying unis like Bath are underrated (Rightly so) however they also mention that it's popular for people who did not get into a RG uni, is this true though? I find Bath to be much more attractive than some RG unis, is the title of RG really that important?
    The title of RG isn't inherently that important, but it happens that most of the best universities are in the RG. However (especially when you consider specific subjects) this doesn't mean that being the RG is the be-all and end-all. For instance, QMUL, Exeter, York and Durham weren't RG members until 2012. That doesn't mean that they suddenly increased in quality then. And there are still other non-RG universities that are at least as good as some RG members. To be specific, I think that Bath, Surrey, Loughborough, Lancaster and UEA are certainly at least on par with Cardiff, QMUL, Queen's and Liverpool, and I know people who have rejected offers from RG unis to go to them.

ReputationRep:
    Bath.

ReputationRep:
    Can't agree with you more. I think LSE is overrated. I atttend LSE for undergraduate law the teaching is quite bad and the lecturers can't explain things clearly and aren't enthusiastic about teaching despite LSE has a QS global ranking of 7th for law. I am not happy with and at LSE. The workload is heavy too because mainly exams count towards degree classification which is quite stressful whereas Some universities have coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutiecutie)
    Can't agree with you more. I think LSE is overrated. I atttend LSE for undergraduate law the teaching is quite bad and the lecturers can't explain things clearly and aren't enthusiastic about teaching .
    Partly agree with you with that, even though the quality of teaching is overall decent, as is evidenced in NSS satisfaction within the law department. Having a few bad teachers in the mix doesn't automatically make the teaching 'quite bad' overall. Nuance!

I am not happy with and at LSE. The workload is heavy too because mainly exams count towards degree classification which is quite stressful whereas Some universities have coursework.
    I don't think that anyone rates LSE highly because they expect the workload to be easy. That's just a personal complaint that is seen amongst most law students at most RGs. Very few decent unis for law use coursework to assess you, so I have to wonder whether your expectations were off in the first place. However, LSE does offer dissertation and presentation-assessed modules in the third year, so it's not all bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Partly agree with you with that, even though the quality of teaching is overall decent, as is evidenced in NSS satisfaction within the law department. Having a few bad teachers in the mix doesn't automatically make the teaching 'quite bad' overall. Nuance!

I don't think that anyone rates LSE highly because they expect the workload to be easy. That's just a personal complaint that is seen amongst most law students at most RGs. Very few decent unis for law use coursework to assess you, so I have to wonder whether your expectations were off in the first place. However, LSE does offer dissertation and presentation-assessed modules in the third year, so it's not all bad.
    As for the teaching quality at lse, I would say that some law lecturers are really good but not many in my opinion. regarding the NSS satisfaction, I think it is down to the high proportion of international students who are so cliquey and I just find LSE an isolating and unfriendly place. Yes I know that lse offers dissertation and presentation-assessed modules in the third year but I also note that RG universities such as Bristol and warwick universities offer many optional law modules which are assessed by coursework(usually two essays)in the second and third year which means both of the universities have less heavy workload than lse. But yet I reckon that warwick and Bristol rank around 51-100 in qs world rank whereas lse ranks 7th globally. In conclusion, it is more stressful to study at a more prestigious university like lse than decent universities like warwick and Bristol. by the way, are you a current student at lse? If yes, what subject are you studying there if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    As for the teaching quality at lse, I would say that some law lecturers are really good but not many in my opinion. regarding the NSS satisfaction, I think it is down to the high proportion of international students who are so cliquey and I just find LSE an isolating and unfriendly place. Yes I know that lse offers dissertation and presentation-assessed modules in the third year but I also note that RG universities such as Bristol and warwick universities offer many optional law modules which are assessed by coursework(usually two essays)in the second and third year which means both of the universities have less heavy workload than lse. But yet I reckon that warwick and Bristol rank around 51-100 in qs world rank whereas lse ranks 7th globally. In conclusion, it is more stressful to study at a more prestigious university like lse than decent universities like warwick and Bristol. by the way, are you a current student at lse? If yes, what subject are you studying there if you don't mind me asking.
    I do - I'm a Law student as well.

I think that you let yourself have false expectations about LSE's teaching by misinterpreting the QS rankings. Those rankings are based on academic + employer reputation and things like H-index citations, which are all research and professionally-oriented metrics. However, you led yourself to the conclusion that high rankings mean high teaching quality, which they do not. They are two separate metrics and, while LSE performs excellently in the former, it's average at best on the latter.

My point is that you shouldn't judge whether a university is overrated by standard X while all rankings on it are based on standards Y and Z. Most people who respect LSE respect it based on the career opportunities or academic/research excellence of the faculty, not because of its student satisfaction or teaching.

Spoiler:
    Show

I very much doubt that LSE students have a monopoly on stress, at least judging from the comments of other TSR law students about their respective universities.

ReputationRep:
    Just to say something as a Bristol student. Having coursework modules doesn't mean it is easier.

We have 6 modules every year, including 4 exams in the 2nd year and 1 compulsory in the third year.

This means that we, second years at least, have to write 2 2000 essays and prepare for 4 exams while doing so. I had to miss all the formative exams on January to make it in time for the essays. It is technically not possible to take more than two coursework based modules, because there is no way one would get a good grade in all three.

I know it sounds easier but I, or anyone else for that matter, haven't really felt that way at all. I'm struggling a lot currently to make sure I prepare thoroughly, and an added consideration is the very harsh marking which has become a stupid tradition here. (May apply to Warwick as well, no idea.)

To be honest, I'd rather have 4 exams with heavier assessed content than have 4 exams and two essays. That said, most law students are complaining about the workload so it's not something you should blame yourself for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think Queen Mary is a very overrated university

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else think the University of Sheffield is pretty underrated? I'm going there soon, and it seems like such a brilliant place to be with amazing student life and accommodation (not to mention the Architecture course is really good from what I've heard). But I had to actively search out for bits of information on what students think, and what I find online is seemingly much less than other universities.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: KCL

Underrated: Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol and Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Overrated : Surrey (only rated well on topuniversity guide (12 th) where as QS and Times higher education place it near the 300's.

Underrated: UEA QMUL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefjaie)
    Overrated : Surrey (only rated well on topuniversity guide (12 th) where as QS and Times higher education place it near the 300's.

Underrated: UEA QMUL
    Surrey being 12th nationally fits with it being 300th internationally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.