Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The most Overrated and Underrated Universities in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Overrated: LSE, UCL, KCL (deffffffoooooo), St Andrews, Lancaster (it's not really a top 10-11 uni.. )
    Underrated: Bath, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Loughborough, UEA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Gnomes&Knights)
    Overrated: UCL, LSE, Leicester.Underrated: Keele, Queen Mary, KCL.
    Why LSE and UCL? They deserve their reputation...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    They're above Imperial in global rankings, which is complete nonsense. All the current UCL applicants I've spoken to feel like they'll get their bottoms kissed because they have the uni's name on their CV. LSE because people think it's a ticket to big bucks, when really, they just compete against other top 5-10 uni students for jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I study at UCL and its ****ing ****. I'm not going to explain why it is since it will take multiple essays. Just take my word for it. LSE don't teach STEM subject so I don't rate it.

ReputationRep:
    I attend Warwick, but it's definitely one of the most overrated unis in the UK lol

It acts like its super selective when over 70% of applicants get offers... at least the employers don't know this
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CompSci16)
    I attend Warwick, but it's definitely one of the most overrated unis in the UK lol

It acts like its super selective when over 70% of applicants get offers... at least the employers don't know this
    Can't have been overrated for 22 years bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol think what you will, I'm just giving my opinion of my university. And looking at the other replies, I'm not the only one who thinks this.

My course has an offer rate of over 80% but people in it act like they're some big shot prodigies.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Queen Mary, UCL, KCL, Durham
    Underrated: Bath, Nottingham, Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noticemesenpai)
    In my opinion, i think Aston University is overrated. Just saying.
    Yep, coming from bham, most people in bham overrate it and act as if it's better than UoB when in fact people rarely mention it from outside bham lol. They also set their requirement high for a-levels with like ABB yet most people in the course are btech, my best mate told me his no one else in his class did A-level lol.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say it depends on the course for warwick economics seems amazing but I guy I know got an offer for Biochem or something like that with a Btech, one of the easier ones. Think of that what you will. But even then, it's still pretty strong overall.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to place Exeter in the overrated a **** list. Its ranking on the complete uni guide is why i don't take that website seriously anymore

Also, manchester, despite being highly regarded is still underrated imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    Yep, coming from bham, most people in bham overrate it and act as if it's better than UoB when in fact people rarely mention it from outside bham lol. They also set their requirement high for a-levels with like ABB yet most people in the course are btech, my best mate told me his no one else in his class did A-level lol.
    Haha, same all i heard was Aston, Birmingham City University and University College of Birmingham. I attend University of Birmingham, to be honest I'm glad that i avoided applying to Aston, i think people from out of Birmingham think about going there too. I have a cousin who lives out of Birmingham, he got the grades to get into UoB but...he went to Aston instead. I have completed a vocational course but mine was graded, i had to complete like 30 units in first year? And in second year 12 units and 3 5,000 word essays. My class has more A level than vocational.

ReputationRep:
    Locally underrated: Manchester

ReputationRep:
    I think Aberystwyth is very underrated, they have very good student satisfaction, and future employment rates, and are rated well in the national tables as well as having a very high standard of teaching. I think the problem is that they're quite a small uni in comparison to others though so they tend to get overlooked by larger more well-known uni's like Cardiff or other welsh uni's. Personally though i believe they deserve more recognition then they get.

ReputationRep:
    imo, overrated: Nottingham, Warwick, Surrey, KCL and Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what is this based on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noticemesenpai)
    Haha, same all i heard was Aston, Birmingham City University and University College of Birmingham. I attend University of Birmingham, to be honest I'm glad that i avoided applying to Aston, i think people from out of Birmingham think about going there too. I have a cousin who lives out of Birmingham, he got the grades to get into UoB but...he went to Aston instead. I have completed a vocational course but mine was graded, i had to complete like 30 units in first year? And in second year 12 units and 3 5,000 word essays. My class has more A level than vocational.
    I didn't mean Btech or anything was worse. But those who did have btech did like rubbish I mean my mate got AAA and he didn't go bham like a hero so he got stuck in aston with people who have never done exams and cause the lecturers to stop a lot. He put so much effort in but aston let almost anyone in so he wasted his time going there. I ain't trying to hate but just tell it as it lol.

Uni of bham are much stricter so even you did do an alternative course you damn sure know the person did well in it or else they wouldn't be there. It's why I am taking 1 year out and applying to UoB instead of taking my place @ aston.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by C_Richards99)
    imo, overrated: Nottingham, Warwick, Surrey, KCL and Exeter

what is this based on?
    https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandev...sunday_times1/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Along with places like Bath and Sussex it is a popular choice for people who didn't quite make it into Russell Group unis.

Hence why almost 30% of their intake each year are privately educated students.
    I've never met anyone who went/is going to OB nor talked to anyone who ever wanted to go there... From what I've heard, it's pretty bad uni without good reputation and low down in rankings... Not studied there myself though, just what I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    I'd like to place Exeter in the overrated a **** list. Its ranking on the complete uni guide is why i don't take that website seriously anymore

Also, manchester, despite being highly regarded is still underrated imo.
    Don't forget about Times/Sunday Times and the Guardian. All three websites must have been removed from your bookmarks by now.

Why don't you like about Mighty Exon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lastlullabyy)
    I've never met anyone who went/is going to OB nor talked to anyone who ever wanted to go there... From what I've heard, it's pretty bad uni without good reputation and low down in rankings... Not studied there myself though, just what I've heard.

Yeah I think it's average.

But still attracts lots of students from private schools who would have probably applied to some Russell Group unis too.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: QMUL, Exeter.

Underrated: Lancaster, Nottingham

I might be biased with Lancaster because I go there but even though I had some unpleasant encounters in my department this year (3rd year), I still think it's a great uni with amazing, well-prepared staff and high student satisfaction. However, I know it's not always considered by people when applying on equal terms with RG universities, for instance. Keeps climbing up in universities tables and I am for sure happy with 3 years I've spent here Nottingham based on what I've heard from friends and some other people that go there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.