Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    How was it different to the other top 10 unis you visited?
    I went for engineering and their department seemed meh. Their modules seemed so boring compared to Imperial, Cardiff, UCL, Carsiff, Manchester, Warwick and Bath. Or maybe the boring lecturer made it seem that way. But if he can't be enthusiastic for a visit day then when will he? Their accommodation is relatively expensive yet average. Their facilities were no better than any other uni I've visited. And the course apparently only had space for 40 people?

I didn't like the area itself. Probably because of the hills though. No way can i live like that for 4 years. Cardiff and Manchester were much better in this department despite being ranked lower. Manchester was probably my favourite out of all the Uni's I've visited.

There's genuinely nothing that stood out to say exeter is a top 10 uni in the UK. Their entry standards are also inflated compared to other Unis because they don't really have the space to run courses that don't require top grades. For example, if you compare course by course, Manchester/Cardiff, if anything have higher entry standards overall. I know they definetely do for engineering. But they also have things like large nursing and midwifery schools. And while these are respected courses, they'll bring entry requirements down since they're not asking for AAA or w.e

And ranking websited like the complete uni guide dont take this into account.

And their algorithm also lists having a very high student to staff ratio as a positive? I don't get it. Having a big Uni is great. But why would having hardly any staff for students to turn to be a good thing? You need a balance. Ranking on academic spend is strange too. Some Unis currently requre more refurbishment than others. That doesn't make them any better than a Uni who has undergone refurbishment years ago. And some courses are also more expensive to run than others.

The Exeter Uni itself isn't bad. It was ok. I liked it much more than other respected Uni's like Queen Marys. But for it to be that high is the definition of being overrated. It's not the 10th best Uni in England lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    A few of the UCs are actually mediocre at best.
    Agreed. Only good ones are LA, B, I, SD, D and SB imho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    A few of the UCs are actually mediocre at best.
    When I said that, I had Berkeley, LA (and to some extent) San Diego in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGBishop24)
    How is Bath as you have experienced? I just received offers from Exeter, Nottingham and Bath in Economics. Most of my friends who are currently studying in the UK recommend Bath. Only one, who is attending Exeter, recommends Exeter. I prefer to study in a bigger city, but QMUL rejected me, though I might have a chance in clearing.

I'm worried about how well the school community is brought together (like clubs and the quality of students), the lectures and convenience to travel to nearby cities. I saw some pretty low student satisfaction scores on ranking sites. Are they that unreliable?
    London unis always get low student satisfaction scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    University of Greenwich's engineering department is definately underrated (the head of mclaren applied technologies studied in greenwich).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    University of Greenwich's engineering department is definately underrated (the head of mclaren applied technologies studied in greenwich).
    Greenwich in general and the other "below QM" London universities in general are pretty underrated imo lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I went for engineering and their department seemed meh. Their modules seemed so boring compared to Imperial, Cardiff, UCL, Carsiff, Manchester, Warwick and Bath. Or maybe the boring lecturer made it seem that way. But if he can't be emphusiastic for a visit day then when will he? Their accommodation is relatively expensive yet average. Their facilities were no better than any other uni I've visited. And the course apparently only had space for 40 people?

I didn't like the area itself. Probably because of the hills though. No way can i live like that for 4 years. Cardiff and Manchester were much better in this department despite being ranked lower. Manchester was probably my favourite out of all the Uni's I've visited.

There's genuinely nothing that stood out to say exeter is a top 10 uni in the UK. Their entry standards are also inflated compared to other Unis because they don't really have the space to run courses that don't require top grades. For example, if you compare course by course, Manchester/Cardiff, if anything have higher entry standards overall. I know they definetely do for engineering. But they also have things like large nursing and midwifery schools. And while these are respected courses, they'll bring entry requirements down since they're not asking for AAA or w.e

And ranking websited like the complete uni guide dont take this into account.

And their algorithm also lists having a very high student to staff ratio as a positive? I don't get it. Having a big Uni is great. But why would having hardly any staff for students to turn to be a good thing? You need a balance. Ranking on academic spend is strange too. Some Unis currently requre more refurbishment than others. That doesn't make them any better than a Uni who has undergone refurbishment years ago. And some courses are also more expensive to run than others.

The Exeter Uni itself isn't bad. It was ok. I liked it much more than other respected Uni's like Queen Marys. But for it to be that high is the definition of being overrated. It's not the 10th best Uni in England lol
    This seems largely to be focussed on your view of one department. When you said "Exeter doesn't deserve to be top 10", were you talking about the university generally or were you talking about the engineering department?

A few points you make generally: hills. expensive yet average accommodation, entry inflation. Hills, there's not a lot to say about that -- you get used to it and develop fine glutes in the process. Accommodation -- I would largely agree that it's quite expensive but so are most other places (see Bristol which is about a £500 more expensive).

Grade inflation -- I have to say you're off the mark here. Exeter rather than being dishonest about the grades it will accept is exceptionally honest. For civil engineering, for example, Exeter says its offer will at highest be AAA or at lowest be ABB, whereas the other two universities simply tell you that they will take AAA. Is there truth to this? Will Manchester or Cardiff take you only with AAA? The entry data tells us no; their entry is actually lower than Exeter's (Cardiff by 4 points and Manchester by 14). Entry flexibility is true for most courses at most unis which ask for AAA -- virtually none of them actually will only take AAA+. Whilst nursing likely does not help Cardiff's overall standing in the rankings, it is clearly untrue to suggest that Exeter is grade inflating. If anything, it's the other two which are guilty of this with their misleading AAA requirements.

As for your course-specific claims, you no doubt have more understanding than me. Enthusiasm for course. I always advise people against putting too much stock in the feel of an open day. People get overly excited by the performance of a single lecturer and sell their soul to the uni -- all the time. This is like choosing a GCSE or an A–Level based on the hope of getting your favourite teacher and … uh-oh, when your timetable comes out you have Mr Barnes who you hate! In reality, you'll spend maybe 9 lectures at most with a single lecturer -- performance or enthusiasm of lectures should not decide whether you go to a particular uni. Some unis -- particularly newer ones -- will show off their finest lecturers in order to win you over, others won't bother and will hope you choose based on ranking or other factor. But both of them have lecturers who are crap, let me tell you!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Just to clarify, I am not disagreeing that Exeter wasn't right for. But I am clarifying, where clarification can be easily achieved, so that people are not unfortunately put off by your experience. With such a length of criticism, people might accept what you say without ever fact-checking it (particularly the grade inflation point), and I hope that I can provide a little bit more insight to give them a more balanced view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Ian Rhodes studied at Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    He's the exception, not the rule. Every department, even the crap ones, produces at least a handful of exceptional candidates.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Ian Rhodes studied at Nottingham.
    the former dude then

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/peter-van-manen-93387660

ReputationRep:
    He did his undergrad at world-leading Adelaide and his PhD at Greenwich.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    He did his undergrad at world-leading Adelaide and his PhD at Greenwich.
    eitherway, the fact he got his phd at greenwich and got hired at mclaren is surprising (then again pat fry did go to london guildhall university if memory serves correctly)

ReputationRep:

Grade inflation -- I have to say you're off the mark here. Exeter rather than being dishonest about the grades it will accept is exceptionally honest.
    I don't think i explained myself properly on this point. I don't mean exeter literally upped their grades. I like that they offer truthful grade ranges. I was basically saying the fact that they don't have a large nursing and midwifery school (just an example. There are other lower entry tariff courses too) means it's misleading to directly compare the average entry standards for unis. 2 institutions can be equally as good in most things. But one can also have a department with a huge art emphasis and it'll drag the entry standards shown on the ranking website down. Therefore making the overall uni seem lower ranked. A uni shouldn't be punished for having a bigger variery of courses.

That along with the academic funding and student to staff issue is why i think the complete uni guides ranking algorithm is dodgy

But once again, i was only given my opinion on the threads question. I don't think Exeter Uni is bad. I still enjoyed my visit overall

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i explained myself properly on this point. I don't mean exeter literally upped their grades. I like that they offer truthful grade ranges. I was basically saying the fact that they don't have a large nursing and midwifery school (just an example. There are other lower entry tariff courses too) means it's misleading to directly compare the average entry standards for unis. 2 institutions can be equally as good in most things. But one can also have a department with a huge art emphasis and it'll drag the entry standards shown on the ranking website down. Therefore making the overall uni seem lower ranked. A uni shouldn't be punished for having a bigger variery of courses.

That along with the academic funding and student to staff issue is why i think the complete uni guides ranking algorithm is dodgy

But once again, i was only given my opinion on the threads question. I don't think Exeter Uni is bad. I still enjoyed my visit overall
    No, I understood your nursing point and its limits. I was merely elaborating on it and pointing out that, analysing courses side-by-side, Exeter still wins on the entry front.

ReputationRep:
    . I was merely elaborating on it and pointing out that, analysing courses side-by-side, Exeter still wins on the entry front.
    How do you know though? As far as I'm aware, there's no website that compares every course that both unis offer side by side and takes an average. They all just look at overall entry tariffs. You could manually do it but it's not worth the time and effort. And what specific uni are you referring to with the comparisons ?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know though? As far as I'm aware, there's no website that compares every course that both unis offer side by side and takes an average. They all just look at overall entry tariffs. You could manually do it but it's not worth the time and effort. And what specific uni are you referring to with the comparisons ?
    Manchester vs Exe civil eng

You'll find very little to distinguish the entry tariffs of the 2, Manchester has a fair amount less between 400-479 (65% vs 45%) however it's worth noting that Manchester has more students between 480-519 (15% vs 10%) as well 520-559 (10% vs 0%)

Manchester has 80% (360 UCAS) while Exeter has 100%, however this doesn't euqate to AAA, the data shows that at least in this data set Manchester is not accepting BTECs and Access courses in their Civil Eng course while Exeter is (BTECs get the equivalent of AAA far more easily).

So yeah pretty much nothing between the two in entry standards, Exeter is more stringent with the 360 UCAS ruling, whether BTEC or A-Level no one has been accepted with below 360 UCAS, while Manchester attracts more "brilliant" students, with 10% pretty much looking like imperial rejects.

If we compare the two with Imperial however it's pretty clear that neither is a "top 10 university" at least as far as entry standards for civil engineering goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    When I said that, I had Berkeley, LA (and to some extent) San Diego in mind.
    Berkeley is the best one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Berkeley is the best one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ik, with LA a close second especially for engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Ik, with LA a close second especially for engineering
    And computer science :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    And computer science :yep:
    I hope you get in and stay on CC

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.