Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a B at GCSE maths good enough to do it for A - level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm very likely to get a B grade at maths in the 2016 exams.
    My question is: Will this grade be good enough to do A2 maths?
    AND
    Will a B at GCSE be enough to achieve an A at A2 maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahfuz_A)
    no a solid A is standard i think

ReputationRep:
    Not really no.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is good enough, whether it is standard or not is irrelevant also your GCSE grade doesn't effect your grades in collage so if you work hard enough you have a chance of getting a really good grade

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in my GCSE which I practically self taught and am expecting a high A grade at AS-level. A-level maths is not hard, just a lot of practice.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Try to work now and push it up to an A* by the exam.

ReputationRep:
    i got a C first time at GCSE maths (year 9) and sat A-Level and got an A at AS (298/300). Nothing is 'not good enough' if you try hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    AND
    A is better but nothing is concrete, so long as you put the effort in the grade you can get can be what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Whether a B is good enough depends on the entry requirements of the college you want to do it at. Although your GCSE grade doesn't dictate what grade you will get at A Level, you are generally less likely to get an A at A Level if you get a B at GCSE, than if you got an A or A* for example.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my friend got a B in Maths and is now doing it at A level

ReputationRep:
    You can defo get it. If you work proper hard at A level then you'll get an A. Maths is a subject where if you learn the method once you can apply to similar questions and with a lot of practice you can achieve an A easily. I know you've probably heard it already but if you do end up doing maths at a level make sure you are constantly doing revision and work for it. Just a word of warning, In a level maths If you get one question wrong then you could drop a whole grade. Bearing this in mind if you think you'll be able to achieve an A (with a lot of work) seeing as you could possibly have a B at GCSE, then go ahead

ReputationRep:
    AND
    Judging from the fact that there's people in my class who got A*s in their maths GCSE but C's in their AS's, I'd advise against it.

But if you're going to bother to worn extra hard then go for it. You'll need to put in a lot more effort to get an A than everyone else though.

ReputationRep:
    AND
    It really depends on how hard you've worked to get that B. If you've put your absolute all into revision and you've done lots of past papers and still ended with a B, it probably isn't the best idea. The reason I say this is because the exam questions on the whole are usually quite repetitive so with lots of practice, you should fly through.

There were about 6 people in my AS maths class last year who achieved B's at GCSE and only 2 of which managed to get above a D and therefore into A2 maths. Saying this, there have been some people in my school who got a B in A-level maths with a B at GCSE. It just depends how hard you're working now, and how hard you're prepared to work.

I'd speak to your teacher about this as they should know you and your capabilities in maths the most. Good luck with your GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    No my maths teacher advised that only people with at least an A should do maths at A Level. Good advice I tried and failed at the first post. Whatever. However give it a go over summer holidays if you're really that dedicated!

ReputationRep:
    AND
    Well if you look at the C1 and C2 book ( which are the core modules) it says its assuming you got a C in GCSE. Well now i got a B app maths and A in meth maths. People that got A's in maths and even B's struggled. It totally depends. If you get a B your school should let you do it. What i Recommend is go over C1 in the summer and learn it all. This will make your life a lot easier. Honestly you can get an A in maths and even Ft maths at AS if you try hard enough .

The Key to success is doing past papers

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can do it!! It's just whether you put the effort in at A-level... In my class one of my friends is ridiculously good at math but he just puts in no effort to papers and is predicted like a C even though he got an A* at GCSE

Try and aim for an A as much as you can though because you can do it!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountTesla)
    Well if you look at the C1 and C2 book ( which are the core modules) it says its assuming you got a C in GCSE. Well now i got a B app maths and A in meth maths. People that got A's in maths and even B's struggled. It totally depends. If you get a B your school should let you do it. What i Recommend is go over C1 in the summer and learn it all. This will make your life a lot easier. Honestly you can get an A in maths and even Ft maths at AS if you try hard enough .

The Key to success is doing past papers

ReputationRep:
    Name:  anotheronelol.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  17.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    AND
    I think you can still do A levels maths if you get a B at GCSE but in my 6th form, everyone who managed to make it through year 12 in one go got A*s at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Mein Kampf Heinz Vight Mavs Ze Bee Nicht Gud Jah?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.