Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a B at GCSE maths good enough to do it for A - level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    To be honest it depends how much you like graphs.

I got an A at GCSE but a D at A-Level (an E at AS Level).
    My problem was the only area I didn't get very well at GCSE was graphs and geometry. Then I started my AS levels and my maths teacher said; "This term we are doing is C1. It is all geomerty". I thought "oh well at least I can get it over and done with it. I scraped a C. Then we started the next term; "Leading on from what we did in C1"!! This was the same for all 4 core modules.
    I got a B in Decisions maths and a C in Statistics but got Es for all my core modules (and 2 of those were on resits).
    What even.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What even.
    LMFAO :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    LMFAO :toofunny:
    Can't do geometry, brb going to go resit my AS maths and fail it. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    C1 = all geometry sorry Zain :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    C1 = all geometry sorry Zain :no:
    I'll have to hope for 50 UMS in C1 tbh :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in GCSE mathematics, got 290UMS in my AS and doing Further Mathematics+A2 maths in one year(also doing Step1+Step2 for Warwick)

It's not impossible, but I'm lazy and did 0 work(I legitimately mean this, 0 work) and got like 50% attendance throughout my GCSE's(I was addicted to WOW at the time).

Every single other person in my position failed out but either due to stubbornness or 'mental fortitude' I managed to succeed.

I had to do a lot of catchup for my lack of GCSE knowledge, I think that's probably the main inhibitor to success at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    "SMC" lol. :rolleyes:
    or STEP for yourself (not that it really provides a foundation for that!)
    Do you have offers for maths?

ReputationRep:
    Is this a joke or are you actually taking the piss out of this person?

ReputationRep:
    I entered AS maths with a C at GCSE and not knowing how to cross multiply. Now, I'm getting A's in the modules I've completed and people now ask me for help.

I believe you could get an F and still do A level Maths. It's all about how hard you're prepared to work tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    or STEP for yourself (not that it really provides a foundation for that!)
    Do you have offers for maths?
    A-Level does provide a foundation, but not one that you revel or are excited by, but more of a necessary "well, gotta learn this and do these boring questions before I can go on and do more interesting things like STEP/Uni-stuff". I've got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL for maths, yeah.

(Original post by Ano123)
    Is this a joke or are you actually taking the piss out of this person?
    Taking the piss and joking.

ReputationRep:
    I got a C at GCSE in Maths and then B at A level.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I don't think it really matters. A friend of mine got a D or C at GCSE maths. He didn't get a Cambridge offer sadly but he did get 2s at STEP (which is difficult) and now studies at Warwick.

Getting a B at GCSE maths probably shows gaps in learning but they're gaps you can fill in yourself .

(Original post by Sportycb)
    To be honest it depends how much you like graphs.

I got an A at GCSE but a D at A-Level (an E at AS Level).
    My problem was the only area I didn't get very well at GCSE was graphs and geometry. Then I started my AS levels and my maths teacher said; "This term we are doing is C1. It is all geomerty". I thought "oh well at least I can get it over and done with it. I scraped a C. Then we started the next term; "Leading on from what we did in C1"!! This was the same for all 4 core modules.
    I got a B in Decisions maths and a C in Statistics but got Es for all my core modules (and 2 of those were on resits).
    I see :console:. I'm really sorry to hear that. Did you not try to improve your weak areas? Are you going to resit anything?

ReputationRep:
    A-Level does provide a foundation, but not one that you revel or are excited by, but more of a necessary "well, gotta learn this and do these boring questions before I can go on and do more interesting things like STEP/Uni-stuff". I've got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL for maths, yeah.

Taking the piss and joking.
    I guess.
    But from that perspective, did you start your a-level maths quite early on then? Were you interested, in the slightest, by it?

ReputationRep:
    Know a guy who got A* at GCSE and bombed A level with an E

Know a guy who went from a C to an A*

Neither A level nor GCSE are hard, but you need the right attitude. Someone who is average could do well if they were inspired.

ReputationRep:
    I guess.
    But from that perspective, did you start your a-level maths quite early on then? Were you interested, in the slightest, by it?
    I liked and was interested in the content, I was bored and disinterested by the questions.

ReputationRep:
    I liked and was interested in the content, I was bored and disinterested by the questions.
    And STEP questions excite you?

ReputationRep:
    And STEP questions excite you?
    Yeps.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mahfuz_A)
    I'm very likely to get a B grade at maths in the 2016 exams.
    My question is: Will this grade be good enough to do A2 maths?
    AND
    Will a B at GCSE be enough to achieve an A at A2 maths?
    To be honest if you get a B in GCSE it doesn't mean you can't get an A at A2 my friends brother got a B for GCSE and then in all 6 exams he got straight A's at A2.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dirty Dawah)
    Know a guy who got A* at GCSE and bombed A level with an E

Know a guy who went from a C to an A*

Neither A level nor GCSE are hard, but you need the right attitude. Someone who is average could do well if they were inspired.
    I'm getting a C at the moment do you think it's possible for me to get a B or more?

ReputationRep:
    If I am perfectly honest I would say that an A star in GCSE is what you should be aiming for (if you want to do A level maths!) Good luck x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.