The Student Room Group

What happens to student loans and housing when I leave university?

Hey there,

Although it's already quiet late into the academic year, I have decided for personal reasons to leave university. Before I make my decision to inform the university or not there are a few things I'd like to know. If I officially quit now and tell the university will my maintenance grant stop straight away? Because if it does then I won't be able to complete the accommodation payment in a months time and I'll need to find £2000 in order to pay for the housing without the grant. If this is the case then I'll just have to not inform the university I'm leaving until I've received the grant and can pay off housing. My second question may be more university specific but if I officially quit would I not have to pay my third installment for university housing? If so I can quit now and save a further £2000 in debt. I presume that changes for each university so I'll probably have better chance emailing my uni. So essentially I'm just asking is what will happen to my student loan and grant if I leave university?

Thanks
Original post by Sasterminato
Hey there,

Although it's already quiet late into the academic year, I have decided for personal reasons to leave university. Before I make my decision to inform the university or not there are a few things I'd like to know. If I officially quit now and tell the university will my maintenance grant stop straight away? Because if it does then I won't be able to complete the accommodation payment in a months time and I'll need to find £2000 in order to pay for the housing without the grant. If this is the case then I'll just have to not inform the university I'm leaving until I've received the grant and can pay off housing. My second question may be more university specific but if I officially quit would I not have to pay my third installment for university housing? If so I can quit now and save a further £2000 in debt. I presume that changes for each university so I'll probably have better chance emailing my uni. So essentially I'm just asking is what will happen to my student loan and grant if I leave university?

Thanks

As soon as your university informs the SLC that you have left the SLC will stop your funding and will require instant repayment for any funds that were overpaid.

If you need to keep your final payment then you need to finish the year before informing your university that you won't be returning in August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending