Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do any liberals want to see the migration from Muslim countries blocked? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Despite what everyone says about liberalism and equality, I don't see why these people should be preferred over other people who live in poverty, especially when Muslims generally have trouble integrating and adopting liberal values.

ReputationRep:

^I think this is a wake up call if we're now hearing the mastermind behind UK muslim immigration changing his mind

ReputationRep:
    Migration should never be blocked from any part of the world. Think of converts who leave the religion and are doomed to death in those countries. Also think of Academics and scientists who have no chance of pursuing science and research where they live. However, mass immigration should definitely be limited. People wishing to immigrate to Western countries should be questioned on how they would live in the West. Also, don't forget that there are loads of Muslims who are living happily here. Muslims generally do not have a problem integrating, they work and they pay their taxes and they vote and everything. They might have their weird rules but that's up to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)

^I think this is a wake up call if we're now hearing the mastermind behind UK muslim immigration changing his mind
    He's right, but there are also people who have perfectly compatible interpretations. What of those people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    He's right, but there are also people who have perfectly compatible interpretations. What of those people?
    are they the majority or the minority? I'd say they're probably a minority, given the cultures of many muslim nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakuza)
    Despite what everyone says about liberalism and equality, I don't see why these people should be preferred over other people who live in poverty, especially when Muslims generally have trouble integrating and adopting liberal values.
    I think immigration from Muslim countries should be increased but more so because of the refugee crisis and illegal wars we have caused. If people are worried about numbers we should block immigration from countries like India, China and Eastern Europe in favour of immigration from North Africa, the Middle East and the war torn Muslim nations like Pakistani and Afghanistan. To account for the amount of deaths to Muslims we have caused, 500,000 a year for 15 years seems a sufficient start

ReputationRep:
    are they the majority or the minority? I'd say they're probably a minority, given the cultures of many muslim nations.
    It depends on which country. In the West, they're definitely a majority. In say Lebanon or Egypt, they are the majority. In Asian Muslim countries, they're definitely a minority. Anyway, why should the life of a person be determined by whether he is a part of a majority or a minority in his country?

A migrant should sit a questionnaire that tests his compatibility with the Western culture, and should also be monitored in case of any transgressions. I mean, universities do this. Universities don't just let anyone come in and study, they have to test the compatibility of students. They also monitor the students during their stay to see if they remain compatible or if they change. We should have a "university-interview" like system that ensures that only the best and the most compatible are welcomed to our nations while the rest can live where they would fit most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    It depends on which country. In the West, they're definitely a majority. In say Lebanon or Egypt, they are the majority. In Asian Muslim countries, they're definitely a minority. Anyway, why should the life of a person be determined by whether he is a part of a majority or a minority in his country?
    because how else are you truly going to make a judgement on whether somebody from there is tolerant/liberal enough to live in the UK without any problems of integration?

A migrant should sit a questionnaire that tests his compatibility with the Western culture, and should also be monitored in case of any transgressions. I mean, universities do this. Universities don't just let anyone come in and study, they have to test the compatibility of students. They also monitor the students during their stay to see if they remain compatible or if they change. We should have a "university-interview" like system that ensures that only the best and the most compatible are welcomed to our nations while the rest can live where they would fit most.
    oh right, I didn't read this part before replying to the first - I would have said (although it's needless to say, really), then, that they could easily lie when the obvious purpose of the questionnaire is to allow the tolerant seeming muslims to come and not the intolerant ones - it would be very obvious that this was the meaning of the questionnaire.

ReputationRep:
    because how else are you truly going to make a judgement on whether somebody from there is tolerant/liberal enough to live in the UK without any problems of integration?

oh right, I didn't read this part before replying to the first - I would have said (although it's needless to say, really), then, that they could easily lie when the obvious purpose of the questionnaire is to allow the tolerant seeming muslims to come and not the intolerant ones - it would be very obvious that this was the meaning of the questionnaire.
    That's where the monitoring comes in. You can lie as much as you want in your personal statement but if you're a bad academic you will still be kicked out of university for example. Also, tests shouldn't be just like "Do you feel like you want to kill Non-Muslims", they should be questions which demonstrate that the actions of a person would comply with Western civilisation. You can easily lie and say things like "I hold women to be equal to men", but I am sure there are clever ways of checking if a person is biased against women.

Also, the migrant should be able to demonstrate that they have lead a successful life. For example, it is unlikely that an Engineer/Doctor/Scientist who has contributed to many projects in his country, did charity work and participated in certain organisations is a religious psychopath.

A lot of the terrorists and a lot of the regressive Muslims are unsuccessful in their lives. They spend most of their time in Mosques and do nothing productive. I bet that not a single one of the refugees who did the attack in Bologne holds a proper degree or had a proper job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.