First/2:1/2:2/Diploma <-- What are they exactly Watch

This discussion is closed.
Penwong
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi - I know when you leave uni with a degree its either a first, 2:1 or 2:2. Or a diploma too or something. Can anybody clear up what these are - I mean, how can you get a first, and how can you get a 2:1?

I guess the question I'm essentially asking is what are the 'grade' boundaries to get a first/2:1/2:1. Something like above 90% for a first, over all exams across all years?

Any information would be helpful, thanks
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What university are you at? It depends on this but on average is probably around:

3rd - 40%
2:2 - 50%
2:1 - 60%
1st - 70%

I am not sure what this diploma is but aparantly some universities give you a diploma of higher education if you drop out at the end of your second year.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A first is usually 70%
2:1 - 60%
2:2 - 50%
3rd - 40%

Usually, the first year doesn't count, so it's only the 2 or 3 after that do. It's the average of the modules over those years that determines your degree classification (I think).
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i just got an overall 64% in my first year which is a 2-1... but yeah, normally the first year doesn't count (as in my course) so I'm gonna have to work hard next 2 years. I'd like a first but i can see its gonna be hard work.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There is a danger here and people have got into the trap on my course. It depends onthe type of course and mainly if it involves lab sessions.

However my tutor used the results last year to organise the lab groups for this year. This means that the ones with the worst results get the worst tutors and end up failing. So even though the first year dosn't count, work very hard impress your tutors and it might help you to get the best tutors in the second year and more important a good supervisor for your final year project.

On my course the first year counts for nothing, the second 25% and the third year 75%.
Penwong
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Wow, thats much lower than I expected. Im surprised people aim for 2:1s tbh but then again, I don't know what uni work/exams are like. Liverpool and/or Leeds were the unis I had in mind when I posted this thread, for Law. Thnx for the replies.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Penwong)
Wow, thats much lower than I expected. Im surprised people aim for 2:1s tbh but then again, I don't know what uni work/exams are like. Liverpool and/or Leeds were the unis I had in mind when I posted this thread, for Law. Thnx for the replies.
A degree is not like A levels, the amount of work required for the final year project as vast, they are so many things you can be marked down on nobody really gets 90%+ unless you know the mind of your lecturers.

Getting a 2:1 requires a lot of hard work and dedicated and its why employees usualy state a 2:1 as the minimum for graduate jobs.
Chrism
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most degrees and uni use the following scale, though there are exceptions (medicine and dentistry for example):

70%-100%: First Class Honours
60%-69%: Upper Second Class Honours (2:1)
50%-59%: Lower Second Class Honours (2:2)
45%-49%: Third Class Honours
40%-44%: Pass without honours
0%-39%: Fail

Some unis have 3rds as 40-49% and instead award passes to people who narrowly fail the hons examinations.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chrism)
Most degrees and uni use the following scale, though there are exceptions (medicine and dentistry for example):

Some unis have 3rds as 40-49% and instead award passes to people who narrowly fail the hons examinations.
Gosh it's so creepy reading all the percentages. AAAAK!
Solis Invictus
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Penwong)
To one not accustomed to UK further and higher education marking standards the fact that 70% and over = a 1st seems easy. This is because in other countries a 100% mark is attainable. That is simply not the case in the UK. One would have to be a genius equalling a Nietzsche or Einstein to attract a 100% mark. In reality exams, at least for the Arts, are marked out of 75%. An excellent essay would gain about 68. To gain a 1st – at least 70% - one must propose a new, original idea or insight. Clearly the overwhelming majority of people are incapable of creativity and so cannot gain a 1st.

Therefore, you should think of exams being marked out of 70, with marks higher than this being rewarded for distinguished papers.
OldMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chrism)

And remember that is often not as simple as taking average over all your papers; one bad paper can prevent you getting a first even if your others are perfect. These are the rues for Law at Oxford

�� First Class Honours are awarded on a system where normally five marks of 70 or above
are needed, with no mark below 50.
�� For the award of Second Class Honours, Division I, five marks of 60 or above are needed, and no more than one mark below 50 (which must not be below 40).
�� For Second Class Honours, Division 2, five marks of 50 or above are needed, and no marks below 40.
�� For Third Class Honours, nine marks of 40 or above are needed, although a candidate may exceptionally be allowed one mark below 40.
�� For a Pass degree, five marks of 40 or above are needed, and no marks below 30

So if you got 100% on 8 papers and 39% on the other one, your average would be 93% but you'd only get a pass, or a third if they considered it 'exceptional' :-(
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am a victim of that type of rule
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A diploma is equirelant to 2 years HE, but it can include more. I swapped unis and accepted a diploma from the one I left.

My degree will be from my second uni so I thought I'd take a diploma just so I had something from the first uni.

Sometimes a diploma is all that is required for a job, some nursing courses are diploma rather than degree.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
I am a victim of that type of rule
Still moaning?
neutrino
Report 14 years ago
Many thanks to Penwong for posting the original thread.

I'm from Singapore and our degree classification system follows the British one quite closely. A minor difference is that a four-year undergraduate degree here is known as a B.Sc.(Hons), whereas a three-year degree is a B.Sc. There are no MSci (Masters in Science) undergraduate degrees here.

I was just wondering, how easy is it to get a 1st class or 2nd Upper Hons. degree from a good university in the UK?

Here in Singapore, the universities are fairly strict and you practically have to work your as* off in order to get a 2nd Upper. Also, they usually refrain from giving out 1st classes unless you're a "genius equalling Nietzsche or Einstein".

A lot of A-level students from Singapore travel to the UK to study in the universities there every year. I've heard certain (unverified) rumours from a few sources that UK universities actually hand out 1st class and 2nd Uppers quite liberally.

Note that I'm not putting anyone down (it's not my intention at all ), but I'm just trying to hear the facts from the locals...

Btw, I've just graduated with a 2nd Upper and I do hope to study for a postgraduate Masters degree somewhere in London in the near future.

Also, I've had a few friends who got 2nd Lower degrees and they're pretty depressed, partly because it closes a few doors for them.....

Here in Singapore, a degree from the UK is definately worth much more than a similar degree from the local universities, and I've seen people coming back with a degree from the UK and acting like rahs. I'm exaggerating, but some of them do....

Anyway, this message also clears up the doubts of many people here why so many international students head to the UK every year.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On my course last year only one person was given a 1st out of about 70, this year they are expecting it be about 3 or 4 and for my year (next year) it would be about 6 which is out of 90.

In general the amount of 2:1 or higher given is between 50-70% depending on the university and the course.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (540)
80.24%
Leave (133)
19.76%

Watched Threads